• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Stoops retiring

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully more like PG. I have mad respect for bob doing this the way he did. Leaving 25 million on the table to hand the program over in stellar shape to Riley says a lot about his character imo. He worked his ass off to reel in a top 6 class last year to hand Riley an ideal situation. Lots of coaches who knew they were done would've just coasted and sucked up that salary while the program deteriorated a la Mack Brown or Bowden. That says a lot about him.

Right now Lincoln Riley is a G-rated Disney movie. Give him a little time and he'll be a PG-rated Star Wars coach. And if he's going to make it long term, which I think he can, he'll eventually become a R-rated Dirty Harry character living in the real world of college football and doing what it takes to be successful. But will he get us into trouble again? No. He's not that kind of person.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best wishes to him at this time, whatever the cause for him leaving he certainly was a good coach.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops probably will see a million dollar offer to do work with ESPN. He seems to be pretty good on the mic, and would likely make a very good analyst.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops probably will see a million dollar offer to do work with ESPN. He seems to be pretty good on the mic, and would likely make a very good analyst.
They just dropped a lot of money for Chip Kelly. Who knows how much they will really want to spend on college football after firing 100 peopl recently.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just dropped a lot of money for Chip Kelly. Who knows how much they will really want to spend on college football after firing 100 peopl recently.

It's their cash cow, so I don't think throwing a guy like Stoops a million or two for a 3 year contract would hurt their bottom line. He would bring in a lot of depth as a college football analyst (similar to what Urban Meyer did between Florida and Ohio State jobs) IMO. Plus, it would likely be an EASY gig for him and would likely only require minimal hours each weekend.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's their cash cow, so I don't think throwing a guy like Stoops a million or two for a 3 year contract would hurt their bottom line. He would bring in a lot of depth as a college football analyst (similar to what Urban Meyer did between Florida and Ohio State jobs) IMO.
I don't disagree that it would money well spent. It's just how much do they want to pay for analysts when they are in cost cutting mode.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's their cash cow, so I don't think throwing a guy like Stoops a million or two for a 3 year contract would hurt their bottom line. He would bring in a lot of depth as a college football analyst (similar to what Urban Meyer did between Florida and Ohio State jobs) IMO. Plus, it would likely be an EASY gig for him and would likely only require minimal hours each weekend.

I don't think its their cash cow, spending all that money on tv rights is what probably doomed them recently.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that it would money well spent. It's just how much do they want to pay for analysts when they are in cost cutting mode.

I think ESPN just cut all the fat from their books, while trying to prepare for what the future of cable tv will look like. IMO many of the employees they fired are who made ESPN great, and now the quality of their journalism and sports analysis is hurting now, but they overpaid for the NBA and cutting cable is becoming more and more popular and have to get things under control. They are still pretty profitable (ESPN Is Not Doomed) but they now know they have to keep focused on the money generating sports. That is why I think they will likely hire more NFL, NCAA football, and NBA analysts in the near future when they eventually add more payroll.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its their cash cow, spending all that money on tv rights is what probably doomed them recently.

What makes more money for ESPN than college football right now? I don't have the stats, but I thought that was their big money maker. It may be the NBA now, but I was under the impression that college football was the king for a long time, and ratings where actually up last year compared to the decline the NFL saw. (NFL is still king overall, but ESPN only gets one weekly game)

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA seems to be the cash cow. This year's finals (even though its a sweep) are the highest rated in a long time.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck is OU going to recruit anyone this cycle?

Nobody is going to believe its Lincoln Riley for the long term.

OU boosters will be looking for a bigger name. And they should. The Sooners will interview everyone.

The team in burnt orange is the one most likely to benefit the most this cycle.

It sort of feels sleazy like picking up chicks at a funeral, but I wont complain come October.

Dude you got so much wrong here. It absolutely is Lincoln Riley long term, he is the guy and the program will benefit from it. No one jumping off of ledges here, it was time. Glad Bob got to do it in his own time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck is OU going to recruit anyone this cycle?

Nobody is going to believe its Lincoln Riley for the long term.

OU boosters will be looking for a bigger name. And they should. The Sooners will interview everyone.

The team in burnt orange is the one most likely to benefit the most this cycle.

It sort of feels sleazy like picking up chicks at a funeral, but I wont complain come October.

Bwahaha. This is some straight up delusional shit right here.