• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bb's random thoughts…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry… this may be a long one…

I'm still trying to process last night's game. This year's team started to give me hope they could be something special. With the emergence of a tough defense during the Baylor game, I thought the pieces were finally there.

This team has already exceeded my expectations for them. I had them as a 6-6 team… hoping for an 8-4 finish. They still are capable of running the rest of the schedule…. if they don't let last night's devastating loss push them off course.

5 TO's is awful. Not the first time we've been witness to it. Last year, in the embarrassing loss to MD, I think WVU had 6. But, the defense was not as good. This year's defense is playing at a high level. Yes, I know they wore down in the 2nd half and the tackling became poor… they failed to get off blocks. But, their offense did them no favors. In the offense's last three possessions, they had 2 passing plays… one of which lead to a near sack and fumble by Clint… thankfully recovered by Smallwood. In the 4th qtr, WVU had something like -2 or -4 total yards.

Some were speculating that Clint suffered an injury… maybe a slight concussion when the no-call face mask play occurred. Watching this film… TCU Grabs Clint Trickett's Facemask, Refs Miss It (Video) he obviously looks wobbly getting up off the field after his head slammed into the turf. He had concussions last year, and as many know… once your brain sustains trauma… it doesn't take much to reinjure it.

In their post-game presser, both Holgorsen and Dawson said they did not dial up more passing plays due to TCU staying in a 2 deep safety look, as well as acknowledging that Clint was spooked in the pocket. It was obvious that Clint was getting out of the pocket when it looked to me he still had good protection. As we have seen this year, he is not as accurate a passer when he's moving. I think Casazza is following this stat.

The offense will have to figure out a way to attack this 2 deep safety look better than simply relying on the running game. Shell and Smallwood have both shown tendencies to put the ball on the turf…. repeatedly. White is a big time WR, and they have to find a way to keep him in the game and give him opportunities to make plays in space.

Because I started believing in great things for this team, last night's loss really hurt. But, I want to see them rebound and kick ass the rest of the way. I would rather be disappointed in a last second lost to the #7 team in all the land…. than lose in OT to UConn.

I'm proud of those boys… and the coaching staff…. they are on the right track…

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBW, spot on. I think if Clint took concussion protocol, he would have been benched. That hit knocked him back to 2013, and he played the rest of the game like it. I think that by the 4th qtr, Holgs had little confidence left in Trickett and nobody to put in. Clint started out shredding their D. after the facemask, it all seemed to change.

I think with a healthy Trickett, we win by two TDs. Baylor exposed TCUs pass defense and at the start of the game, they looked the same way.

Bottom line is that we gave another one away that we should have held on to win. Coaching could have been better, but the players needed to make the plays. A couple of first downs in the 4th could have made the difference.

Speaking of coaching, my buddies were playing "What would Nehlen do?" At the game yesterday. Called many plays right using that tactic. I would have liked to see some of the old gambler Holgerson and take the chance on 4th and 2 inside the 10. Playing the odds this year, he is maturing as a coach. While I do not think it would have made a difference, time management still needs some work. Decline the 10 second runoff and Mario may get a chance to return a KO.

Finally, what is up with this defense inside the 20? We get a couple of 3 and outs, stuff the run, than after one big play, red zone Defense becomes porous. Yesterday 5 red zone possessions, 3 TDs an int. on a poorly thrown pass, and the game winning FG.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One bright spot that I think many are overlooking from the game is the special teams play. When you take in consideration TCU's speed and the weather conditions, I think they all did a wonderful job and credit to the coaches and players for that. Vernon Davis made it look easy back at the PR spot with people flying around him and in cold windy rain, such a sight for sore eyes.

I call him out when its bad so time to give credit where its due, great job Defo and co.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree GR, I think WVU has a punt returner who won't leave me holding my breath anymore.

Outside of Boomstache's last punt, I thought he did a great job.

A question for anyone, did WVU have a choice on which end of the field to defend to start the 2nd half?

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decline the 10 second runoff and Mario may get a chance to return a KO. [/QUOTE said:
I'm not understanding all this timeout talk everyone is talking about, why decline the 10 second run off, they wold either play another play or run it down themselves. It was SECOND down when they kicked the field goal. I would take my chance on their kicker in the weather conditions, other then a chance at a touchdown. I seen absolutely nothing wrong with the way Holgerson played the timeouts on the last drive. If you used timeouts on the last drive, you may as well saved all the time and just let them run it in for a touchdown.

I would be surprised, if there wasn't some pass plays called the last offensive drive and Trickett changed the play at the line. I would bet Holgerson did not want to sell him out and took the blame himself. I think it has happened several times this year that Trickett has changed plays that he shouldn't have.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget also, they wanted the ball in the center of the field and it was on the left hash, when they kicked it.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not understanding all this timeout talk everyone is talking about, why decline the 10 second run off, they wold either play another play or run it down themselves. It was SECOND down when they kicked the field goal. I would take my chance on their kicker in the weather conditions, other then a chance at a touchdown. I seen absolutely nothing wrong with the way Holgerson played the timeouts on the last drive. If you used timeouts on the last drive, you may as well saved all the time and just let them run it in for a touchdown.

I would be surprised, if there wasn't some pass plays called the last offensive drive and Trickett changed the play at the line. I would bet Holgerson did not want to sell him out and took the blame himself. I think it has happened several times this year that Trickett has changed plays that he shouldn't have.

With 1:40 left on the clock TCU was at the 33 with a good wind at their back and a very good kicker. Some coaches would try to use time outs and hope to stop them and get the ball back. I also think then the D could have used a break to regroup.

With the 10 second runoff, make them snap it again. They may get it to the center of the field, the may run out the clock if they try. We stood nothing to lose at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, Dana would not put that kind of heat on a player ever and he shouldn't, I also agree about your thoughts on Trick, I think its a matter of him being just an ok QB in a high octane system. We get a bona fide stud at QB and the vast majority of issues go away.....As is the case for 99% of all CFB programs.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Dana would not put that kind of heat on a player ever and he shouldn't, I also agree about your thoughts on Trick, I think its a matter of him being just an ok QB in a high octane system. We get a bona fide stud at QB and the vast majority of issues go away.....As is the case for 99% of all CFB programs.

I would not be surprised at all if Clint missed or changed a call to the run. He was running scared and not acting like the Clint of this year. I really believe that he was not thinking right after the facemask slam.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised at all if Clint missed or changed a call to the run. He was running scared and not acting like the Clint of this year. I really believe that he was not thinking right after the facemask slam.

agree, Ill be interested to see if he plays this week

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what happens with Clint. I hope he is OK.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Random thoughts:

Clint Trickett....played a horrible game all around, one bad decision after another(may have been from hit may have not).....one thing I am tired of seeing him do is take on LB's thinking it makes him tough. At this point in the season it makes him a idiot. He was lucky to get down late in the game or that LB would have taken his head off.

Kevin White...Teams are dictating his presence in the game way to easy...they just decide to take him out of the game and well he is done for the day. I also felt the second half he just took plays off. Between his own effort and play calls we have to find a way to get him involved. Some of that comes from Trickett as well, he was completely missed in the second half on a wide open first down and possible TD.

Karl Joseph...great hitter solid player, but how in the heck do you not know the coverage while running out onto the field. You could see it from before the play was even snapped, he had no clue what he was doing. Someone on the sideline has to recognize this and call a TO.

Coaching decisions...

I too feel like we should have used our TO's at the end of the game, if anything just to let the defense regroup and maybe make another game saving play. With the ball at the 33 and TCU looking at a 50 yard FG the game was not over.

If the rumor is true and WVU decided to go into the wind the 4th quarter then huge mistake...when you have a big leg like Lambert on the bench why the hell would you choose to go into the wind? They are the ones playing behind they are going to need the wind for passing. That honestly would not make any sense at all.

Fans booing....get a f'ing life.....you boo our team at home on national TV in front of big time recruits visiting? You F'ing morons you will do more to hurt this program than anything on the field. Not only do you boo, you boo when we are still winning the game....f'ing classless idiots.

It was a hard fought battle and we came up short. We have to forget this fast and get ready for Texas. Still a very good opportunity for a 10 win season and a very decent bowl game. We are earning respect as well....only three loss team in top 25.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just read another article that said WVU did choose to go into the wind the 4th quarter....:L I have not disagreed with much he has done, but that just seems stupid. Would have made there FG that much harder. Not sure I see the strategy there? That is one(IMO) coaching 101 things.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was anything that seems to be a Trickett issue...he doesn't get the ball out of his hands on intermediate routes very well..seems like he is waiting for his receivers to come open first instead of throwing them open

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just read another article that said WVU did choose to go into the wind the 4th quarter....:L I have not disagreed with much he has done, but that just seems stupid. Would have made there FG that much harder. Not sure I see the strategy there? That is one(IMO) coaching 101 things.

So, there is the answer to my question. I could not believe it when we were lined up for the 2nd half KO. I was watching the game with my youngest, and made a comment on it at the time.

I cannot understand the logic..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Random thoughts:

Clint Trickett....played a horrible game all around, one bad decision after another(may have been from hit may have not).....one thing I am tired of seeing him do is take on LB's thinking it makes him tough. At this point in the season it makes him a idiot. He was lucky to get down late in the game or that LB would have taken his head off.

Kevin White...Teams are dictating his presence in the game way to easy...they just decide to take him out of the game and well he is done for the day. I also felt the second half he just took plays off. Between his own effort and play calls we have to find a way to get him involved. Some of that comes from Trickett as well, he was completely missed in the second half on a wide open first down and possible TD.

Karl Joseph...great hitter solid player, but how in the heck do you not know the coverage while running out onto the field. You could see it from before the play was even snapped, he had no clue what he was doing. Someone on the sideline has to recognize this and call a TO.

Coaching decisions...

I too feel like we should have used our TO's at the end of the game, if anything just to let the defense regroup and maybe make another game saving play. With the ball at the 33 and TCU looking at a 50 yard FG the game was not over.

If the rumor is true and WVU decided to go into the wind the 4th quarter then huge mistake...when you have a big leg like Lambert on the bench why the hell would you choose to go into the wind? They are the ones playing behind they are going to need the wind for passing. That honestly would not make any sense at all.

Fans booing....get a f'ing life.....you boo our team at home on national TV in front of big time recruits visiting? You F'ing morons you will do more to hurt this program than anything on the field. Not only do you boo, you boo when we are still winning the game....f'ing classless idiots.

It was a hard fought battle and we came up short. We have to forget this fast and get ready for Texas. Still a very good opportunity for a 10 win season and a very decent bowl game. We are earning respect as well....only three loss team in top 25.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's clear that other teams believe that if they get a hit on Trickett that he is going to turn the ball over...and it appear's that would be spot on...that is not good!.......

I told BBW if I'm critiquing the Coaching staff...not sure why they don't move White around..even into the slot and make a Safety cover him..

As far as the end of the game on the last two possessions... I'm not going to second guess the play calling on the that first series when your inside your own 10 yard line.....but the second series you have to be a more aggressive....what happened to Shell in the second half, he didn't see a snap?:scratch:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the second series you have to be a more aggressive....what happened to Shell in the second half, he didn't see a snap?:scratch:

Same with Smith. Those big backs need to have a chance to get into a groove and Dana keeps shuffling them out :gaah:.
I get Shell, he was putting it on the ground but Smith, after the long run and then the TD? :L

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with Smith. Those big backs need to have a chance to get into a groove and Dana keeps shuffling them out :gaah:.
I get Shell, he was putting it on the ground but Smith, after the long run and then the TD? :L

I totally agree with you on Smith. The kid broke open the longest run of the day before scoring the TD. Why take out the kid who's the hottest?

Both Shell and Smallwood have repeatedly shown they will throw the ball on the turf. Like I said earlier in the thread, if every team WVU plays keeps a two deep safety look... the offensive coaches are going to have to find some answers when the boys up front are not opening holes.

I understand the idea behind taking advantage of a light box, but... you gotta have success running... and if you're not... then you gotta find success with short passes.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what do we have next?....I don't care what there record is, going into Texas and winning in Austin would be a great win..any road victory in this conference this year is a great win....and then they have almost two weeks to get ready for K State at home...still could be a year that Wv beats two top ten teams in the same year for the first time ever...hopefully these kids see that big time goals are still in from of them...and with a bowl win...a top 15 finish.....if that actually happens...what a turnaround vs last year ....

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I saw the first half, but didn't see the second half due to driving down to the race in Fort Worth, TX. I did listen to the game as much as I could on the TCU network and you could hear the guys wonder why Sims was taken out of the game after scoring the last TD. It appeared they were expecting a comeback after Lambert hit a fieldgoal to start the 4th quarter. They kept mentioning how their running game was getting back on track and that their defense was starting to make some stops, which were 2 or 3 three and outs in a row at the time.

I'll have to see the second half to make any more comments, but from what I have read already I'm not sure I really want to. The question I have is when did Tricket get hit or dragged down by the facemask? If it was the first half then I must have missed it.