• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article on Miss Terry (Saban) and them not leaving

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, man. I know we are doing this with the benefit of hindsight, but arguing he wasn't worth it is :bullshit:

Nothing would have shown that he would have continued success at Michigan State. He has a name to use at Alabama and he is the biggest name in the state and currently in the entire south. At LSU he was the only game in LA. Michigan State he is at best 4th fiddle behind, Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. I don't think giving a mediocre coaching record a $900k raise. And again, as he has shown in the past, he will run when the next team offers more money.

Last edited by a moderator:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lucky enough to get CFB season off (And that's why I do it) because I sell live goods and I just talked to my girlfriend about this and I think we are gonna move to Tuscaloosa next year for the season. Colorado is too damn bleak most of the time anyhow.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why throw a little extra dough for a guy who had one season with more than 7 wins (his last season) and couldn't compete with Michigan? He was 25-22-1 before his last season. That definitely deserves a raise.:lame:

We were a stair step program and honestly, Saban has shown no loyalty and would have skipped town the second someone would have offered more.

Maybe because he was doing something the previous four coaches could not do, be a winner at a program known for around a 50-60% win percentage overall even with its best coaches included in the totals.

The previous four coaches compiled an amazing 121-118-7 record and Saban was turning that around, compiling a 35-24-1 record and showing signs of bringing the program some good recruits. With that would have come some wins against bigger schools, in time. You cant turn a crap program around in just a few years when you cant get recruits to come to a perennial losing program. Even the guys they brought in after Saban didnt do well until they brought in Dantonio, who is a Saban disciple. I imagine he would have eventually left, but maybe not then had you shown him a modicum of respect for a job well done compared to past examples in your program.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing would have shown that he would have continued success at Michigan State. He has a name to use at Alabama and he is the biggest name in the state and currently in the entire south. At LSU he was the only game in LA. Michigan State he is at best 4th fiddle behind, Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. I don't think giving a mediocre coaching record a $900k raise. And again, as he has shown in the past, he will run when the next team offers more money.

That's capitalism, hoss. To be honest, as long as my schedule was similar, Id go to the highest bidder for my services as well. Production is worth more than loyalty and it will be until you can go to the grocery store and buy meat with goodwill.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not true, he has had offers every year since 2008 and has yet to leave Alabama. Every year he gets offers to leave, but as Miss Terry said, they are tired of the rebuilding process and have started making it about shaping the young men in their program and the process they use to build the program.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because he was doing something the previous four coaches could not do, be a winner at a program known for around a 50-60% win percentage overall even with its best coaches included in the totals.

The previous four coaches compiled an amazing 121-118-7 record and Saban was turning that around, compiling a 35-24-1 record and showing signs of bringing the program some good recruits. With that would have come some wins against bigger schools, in time. You cant turn a crap program around in just a few years when you cant get recruits to come to a perennial losing program. Even the guys they brought in after Saban didnt do well until they brought in Dantonio, who is a Saban disciple. I imagine he would have eventually left, but maybe not then had you shown him a modicum of respect for a job well done compared to past examples in your program.

So before Saban's last year he was doing the exact same thing as the four other mediocre coach had done before him. Dantonio took a crap program into a Big Ten contender in year 2. Again we would have to give him more than double what his at the time current contract was based on one good season. How many schools have got themselves into huge trouble by severely over paying a coach for one good year?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's let Bret Bielema make the argument for you:

"The reason the SEC is talked about all the time is one team, because of their dominance. But I didn't come here to play Alabama. I came here to beat Alabama.

"You can take Saban's record when he was at Michigan State and when he was a coach in the Big Ten and put it against mine, and he can't compare."

Bielema: Saban's Big Ten record 'can't compare' to mine - CBSSports.com

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoiled fan thing is really annoying. Self-serving BS. People have no idea why some people leave early. If you go with your family and have young kids it can be quite painful to sit there during a blowout. Older family members maybe uncomfortable walking through the crowds, but really enjoy the games. Fact is people paid for those tickets. They are supporting the team/school, it is their right to do with it as they wish. I find it annoying when people make blanket assumptions about others with little to no information.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So before Saban's last year he was doing the exact same thing as the four other mediocre coach had done before him. Dantonio took a crap program into a Big Ten contender in year 2. Again we would have to give him more than double what his at the time current contract was based on one good season. How many schools have got themselves into huge trouble by severely over paying a coach for one good year?

And sometimes you have to look at what is being done and see that its a positive compared to what had been done in the past. He was moving them in the right direction and deserved a raise, maybe not what you claim it was supposed to be(figures from who knows where?) but a raise was warranted. You nor i are privileged to all the inner workings of what took place, but on the field he was getting it done and moving in the right direction and if history is a judge, i think we see that he has turned out to be the "one that got away" tale for MSU. Dont feel bad, Maryland, UK and A&M all have that same tale that they can tell about Bear Bryant getting away from them. We cant all get and keep legendary coaches.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Terrie Saben is given this much space. My wife shoots her mouth off all the time and my neighbors don't make a big deal out of it. I suspect that Coach Saben would prefer she kept quiet, and I feel his pain.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoiled fan thing is really annoying. Self-serving BS. People have no idea why some people leave early. If you go with your family and have young kids it can be quite painful to sit there during a blowout. Older family members maybe uncomfortable walking through the crowds, but really enjoy the games. Fact is people paid for those tickets. They are supporting the team/school, it is their right to do with it as they wish. I find it annoying when people make blanket assumptions about others with little to no information.

That comment is directed at the student section more than the actual fans that pay. He suspended the rights of the Greeks on campus this year for a game or two because they had been the most blatant offenders of this. The Saban's are not pointing fingers at the actual fans, more at the students, which are given tickets.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Terrie Saben is given this much space. My wife shoots her mouth off all the time and my neighbors don't make a big deal out of it. I suspect that Coach Saben would prefer she kept quiet, and I feel his pain.

Did you read the article? It explains why she is such a big part of their decision making in that article.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's let Bret Bielema make the argument for you:

"The reason the SEC is talked about all the time is one team, because of their dominance. But I didn't come here to play Alabama. I came here to beat Alabama.

"You can take Saban's record when he was at Michigan State and when he was a coach in the Big Ten and put it against mine, and he can't compare."

Bielema: Saban's Big Ten record 'can't compare' to mine - CBSSports.com

So Bielema thinks he is a better coach than Saban because of his Big Ten record proves your point? I said that Saban is able to pull better talent in the SEC than he could at Michigan State. Alabama is/was a big name while Michigan State was at best the 4th choice for those in his own state. LSU is only team worth anything in Louisiana. I don't know how that proves that Saban is worth getting a $900k raise on a $700k contract while Tom Izzo was getting $1 mil contract and taking his teams to final fours.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From reading the article I get the feeling she did the the interview trying to kill the rumors of them leaving and then they focused in on the fan part because that seemed interesting. Sometimes the questions asked can be telling about the answers given.

Last edited by a moderator:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bielema thinks he is a better coach than Saban because of his Big Ten record proves your point? I said that Saban is able to pull better talent in the SEC than he could at Michigan State. Alabama is/was a big name while Michigan State was at best the 4th choice for those in his own state. LSU is only team worth anything in Louisiana. I don't know how that proves that Saban is worth getting a $900k raise on a $700k contract while Tom Izzo was getting $1 mil contract and taking his teams to final fours.

:L

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miss Terry runs things. Read the article. Saban says so himself that Terry is in charge. They've been married over 40 years, clearly it works for them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban's reputation as a nomad is greatly exaggerated. Unless you think Bear Bryant was also a nomad. Saban has exactly 1 more team than Bear did in terms of teams coached, and that is the NFL Dolphins - which he didn't care for.

Bryant started at Maryland. He got pissed because he suspended a player, and the schools president(previous football coach as well) reinstated a player while Bryant was on vacation. Bryant was like fuck you and left.

Then he went to Kentucky. Did well there, but moved on. Next up was Texas A&M before finally moving on to Alabama.

4 teams he coached.

Saban is similar.

Started at Toledo. Left for assistant job in the NFL for a bit, but not a HC position.

Then Michigan St, before going to LSU, Miami Dolphins and ending up at Alabama. A total of 5 teams, 4 college and 1 NFL.

It's called a coaching ladder.

If he moves on, thanks for the crystal balls and good luck. But it would take him moving on before his so called reputation would even remotely be deserved. All his other moves have been up the coaching ladder.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the type of Texas fan that actually thinks he's leaving.

However, you can best believe when articles come out denying there will be any changes, when NOBODY has offered the job.......there will be changes.

Denials when there's nothing to deny are the first evidence when coaches pack up and move.

Not saying it's going to happen.....but this article is par the course for when a coach actually does leave. It means absolutely nothing.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban's reputation as a nomad is greatly exaggerated. Unless you think Bear Bryant was also a nomad. Saban has exactly 1 more team than Bear did in terms of teams coached, and that is the NFL Dolphins - which he didn't care for.

Bryant started at Maryland. He got pissed because he suspended a player, and the schools president(previous football coach as well) reinstated a player while Bryant was on vacation. Bryant was like fuck you and left.

Then he went to Kentucky. Did well there, but moved on. Next up was Texas A&M before finally moving on to Alabama.

4 teams he coached.

Saban is similar.

Started at Toledo. Left for assistant job in the NFL for a bit, but not a HC position.

Then Michigan St, before going to LSU, Miami Dolphins and ending up at Alabama. A total of 5 teams, 4 college and 1 NFL.

It's called a coaching ladder.

If he moves on, thanks for the crystal balls and good luck. But it would take him moving on before his so called reputation would even remotely be deserved. All his other moves have been up the coaching ladder.

You better take your thinking rationally and reasonable ass somewhere else, that shit dont fly here!

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the type of Texas fan that actually thinks he's leaving.

However, you can best believe when articles come out denying there will be any changes, when NOBODY has offered the job.......there will be changes.

Denials when there's nothing to deny are the first evidence when coaches pack up and move.

Not saying it's going to happen.....but this article is par the course for when a coach actually does leave. It means absolutely nothing.

Texas called asking about him in January. An offer doesn't have to be made for people to assume he's going to leave