• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Allen Hurns has a new contract

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So moving up the depth chart the corner that failed to replace Cary Williams last year and has struggled to even stay healthy and adding Browner, who was just utter ass. I thought Cary Williams was really bad too last year, but Browner made him look like Revis by comparison. You hope that was all just a bad team/coaching/scheme, etc, but that's a tough one.

Plus just another year of the heart of that team (the D) getting older.

Who did they add as their 3rd down back? Not Rawls, not Michael. Their Notre Dame rookie, Prosise is really untested as a RB, always banged up as a RB, and every scout called his help in pass blocking his most glaring weakness.[/QUO

Lane played very well when Maxwell left to Philly and then got hurt against the Pats. He didn't fail to catch CW on the depth chart, more like CW was cut when Lane was a full go from his injury. That Saints D was horrible and everybody sucked but there's a reason why Browner was signed back and it's not to be a starter or full time player. The heart of the D is hitting their prime, so the age isn't to big of a concern. Yes the 3 RB's that were drafted are unproven but there's a reason they were drafted. Prosise will provide added depth to the front of the RB core if Rawls still isn't a go by week 1. Collins and Brooks were drafted to provide the pass catching 3DRB that is a staple of the system. Collins will probably win that battle cause he's better at pass blocking. Like I said, the only major question mark I have is the o-line. All the other areas of the team i'm pretty good on.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting... It sounds nice, but I am not sure that their #2 corner was a super talented guy, Irvin/Mebane we will see.

Sweezy as you say was the only reliable lineman last year, and now he's gone and it's a bigger question mark than before if you ask me.

Cary Williams getting replaced by Browner. Sure he knows the system and had some success there in years past, but adding arguably the worst CB in the league last season who's now in his 30's is a HUGE question mark, I'd call that a bigger question than adding Williams last year.

And you mention Fred Jackson.. The one thing he never ceded to Rawls or Michael was the one area he was still very effective in. Pass protection/route running. There's a big question.

I do think they bounce back and win the division, but mostly because I don't think Palmer repeats anything close to last year.
Solid post.
We will be in trouble if Browner is playing at CB. As mentioned, I think he will get used as a hybrid SS/LB playing in the box in run support or help in covering TE's which we were not good at last year.
Lane is solid at CB and nickleback. T Simon, and Ty Smith will fight for playing time and it is apparent to me that we are way ahead of last year at DB.
I did not say Sweezy was the only reliable OL man last year. Britt, even with his struggles played damn near every snap as did our 2nd year (Gilliam) at RT as well as Lewis at C. At this point it is Gilliam-reliable/athetic yet unproven at LT, Glowinski-another youngster made 1 start at RG last year and some Hawk fans wanted him to replace Sweezy after that performance, Britt-unproven yet powerful battling reliable yet unspectacular Lewis at C, 1st round pick Ifedi at RG, and maybe Webb at RT. There is more depth at OL this year and we may have to dig into it to find the most capable 5.
Prosis was drafted as our 3rd down back. I think his pass catching ability is what Pete was going after. As far as a great blocking back for 3rd down, I am going to have to wait until TC is over to have a better feel for that. Vanetta, the drafted TE is supposed to be a solid blocker who has good hands so maybe he gets used a lot in 3rd down situations.
I think we have replaced Mebane adequately. The DT we traded up to get in the 2nd is being spoken of as the best run stuffer in the draft. If he is close to playing like an aging Mebane, we should be fine there.
I am told SLB is most likely the easiest position to replace on the D. The team did not address that position in the draft and I suspect Pete already has a guy in mind who is on the roster (Clark, last years 2nd round pick is my guess).
Obviously my glass is pretty full and I like how the team has addressed some of it's holes.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone in Seattle is penciling Gilliam in as okay at LT, but that could be one biatch of an adjustment. I'm hopeful, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes us pine for Okung either.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone in Seattle is penciling Gilliam in as okay at LT, but that could be one biatch of an adjustment. I'm hopeful, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes us pine for Okung either.
I expect the entire line to be a work in progress, just like last year. By the midway point last year the OL came together and was playing much better with each game.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the entire line to be a work in progress, just like last year. By the midway point last year the OL came together and was playing much better with each game.

Oh sure, I know it's a chicken/egg type of deal, but I'm hopeful that Russel's emphasis on getting the ball out faster will help with the first 6-8 game transition too.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid post.
We will be in trouble if Browner is playing at CB. As mentioned, I think he will get used as a hybrid SS/LB playing in the box in run support or help in covering TE's which we were not good at last year.
Lane is solid at CB and nickleback. T Simon, and Ty Smith will fight for playing time and it is apparent to me that we are way ahead of last year at DB.
I did not say Sweezy was the only reliable OL man last year. Britt, even with his struggles played damn near every snap as did our 2nd year (Gilliam) at RT as well as Lewis at C. At this point it is Gilliam-reliable/athetic yet unproven at LT, Glowinski-another youngster made 1 start at RG last year and some Hawk fans wanted him to replace Sweezy after that performance, Britt-unproven yet powerful battling reliable yet unspectacular Lewis at C, 1st round pick Ifedi at RG, and maybe Webb at RT. There is more depth at OL this year and we may have to dig into it to find the most capable 5.
Prosis was drafted as our 3rd down back. I think his pass catching ability is what Pete was going after. As far as a great blocking back for 3rd down, I am going to have to wait until TC is over to have a better feel for that. Vanetta, the drafted TE is supposed to be a solid blocker who has good hands so maybe he gets used a lot in 3rd down situations.
I think we have replaced Mebane adequately. The DT we traded up to get in the 2nd is being spoken of as the best run stuffer in the draft. If he is close to playing like an aging Mebane, we should be fine there.
I am told SLB is most likely the easiest position to replace on the D. The team did not address that position in the draft and I suspect Pete already has a guy in mind who is on the roster (Clark, last years 2nd round pick is my guess).
Obviously my glass is pretty full and I like how the team has addressed some of it's holes.

That makes better sense for him, which does make CB a concern I think. Lane is solid, but has missed most of the past two years.

I can see why your glass is full, good points. My top "glass half full" thought is I really don't think Carson Palmer has near the success of last season. I thought his play was really above where you'd expect him to be, and feels like one of those old Minny vet QB's having that one amazing year before returning to who they really are at that point in their careers.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Lord that's a ridiculous amount of money for Hurns
It's quite a lot. There was quite a bit of handwringing in here last year when Maclin got 11m AAV, so I'm surprised the Jags aren't getting more flack on this one.