• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 6.19.15 The Hu-tub time machine: A teenage Panda sexting, the early 90's Jays & 8 Royal all stars

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising. . .

It'd be somewhat amusing if the Royals made it to the World Series but lost Home Field Advantage because their fans voted scrubs to the AL All-Star team. Be even more amusing if they won every home game and lost every away game of that series.

Can't really blame you for thinking that. I'll just say that I have usually not approved of the Derek Jeters of the world making the ASG just cause.

Given that the home team in game 7 is 18-17, I am not too particularly hot and bothered by what happens in the ASG either way. It would be, if nothing else, ironic if the Royals lost in game 7 on the road, however. Man, it would suck to be the Rangers 2.0...

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Royals shit is crazy. I'm usually not one to bitch about All-Star selections because I believe it is a game for the fans and the fans vote for who they want to see, but this is insane. Following are the Royals leading the votes along with their OPS and WAR rankings of AL players qualified at their position:

C - Sal Perez - OPS: 4th out of 4 - WAR: 3rd out of 4
1B - Eric Hosmer - OPS: 5th out of 12 - WAR: 4th out of 12
2B - Omar Infante - OPS: 11th out of 11 - WAR: Tied with 3 others for 8th out of 11 @ zero point fucking one
3B - Mike Moustakas - OPS: 3rd out of 13 - WAR: 3rd out of 13
SS - Alcides Escobar - OPS: 4th out of 9 - WAR: 4th out of 27
OF1 - Lorenzo Cain - OPS: 11th out of # - WAR: 2nd out of 27
OF3 - Alex Gordon - OPS: 7th out of 27 - WAR: 4th out of 27

Honorable Mention:
OF4 - Alex Fucking Rios - NOT FUCKING QUALIFIED - OPS+: 49

Not one of these rank first in OPS or WAR among their peers.

Highlights:
  • Omar Infante sucks balls, yet leads 2B by over 300k votes
  • Ranked by OPS, Sal Perez is the worst qualified catcher in the AL, yet has almost 4MM votes more than the next catcher
  • Mike Moustakas has 1.6MM more votes that Josh Donaldson.
  • Escobar leads SS's by 2.8MM votes
  • Alex Rios is currently in 4th in OF votes. This fucking guy has played 22 games and has a slash line of:
    .220/.244/.293/.537. that = retarded

I'm all for letting fans select the All-Star team, but this is fucking ridiculous. Royals fans are making a mockery of this. I guess when all the chicks in KC look like Billy Butler with long hair, there's little else to do but vote Royals to the ASG over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.
It's an absolute joke. The only way Alcides Escobar should be at the All Star Game is if he buys a ticket. The guy sucks. Rios is an even bigger joke.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say that I have usually not approved of the Derek Jeters of the world making the ASG just cause.

Not the same, at all. Jeter was the most popular player on the most popular team. There were a shit load of fans that wanted to see him play in the ASG. Comparing that situation to Omar Infante, or most of the other Royals is a joke.

Look, I understand that baseball is only about ten months old for Royals fans, so this is all new and very exciting, but it's enough.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same, at all. Jeter was the most popular player on the most popular team. There were a shit load of fans that wanted to see him play in the ASG. Comparing that situation to Omar Infante, or most of the other Royals is a joke.

Look, I understand that baseball is only about ten months old for Royals fans, so this is all new and very exciting, but it's enough.

I've seen enough of the bandwagon assholes to last a lifetime. Very annoying to see anyone seriously try to justify, on merit, guys like Perez over Vogt, Moustakas over Donaldson, Hosmer over Miggy, etc. I'll back Gordon and Cain up to a point, but that's it. The "Escobar is the best SS in the AL cuz glove" posts are pukeworthy.

Some of these bandwagons hardly have a clue who came before 2012 or so is my guess. But oh well, with winning comes douchenozzle bandwagons.

I don't have any problem if people vote a straight ticket if the justification is just to show how outlandish and ridiculous the system really is. If they are voting for Infante on merit though... shame on them for their stupidity. Then again, MLB created this absurd system, so I'd much rather blame them. I mean good grief, each team's twitter account outright asks you to #VoteOrioles, #VoteRoyals, or whatever. It's all absurd.

If MLB insists on the game determining game 7, I don't give a damn how many fans want Jeter in an ASG for nostalgic purposes. If he sucks, he sucks. How is it not the same as the Infante situation is the better question? If it isn't a meritocracy, then MLB should drop the act. If it is, fix the system, or I won't take it seriously. And really, nobody should- it's an exhibition game assigned arbitrary significance right now.

I'd be more than happy to say the same thing if it was say, 8 Rockies starters in the NL or something equally absurd. It's all quality garfinkeling in my book at this point.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough of the bandwagon assholes to last a lifetime. Very annoying to see anyone seriously try to justify, on merit, guys like Perez over Vogt, Moustakas over Donaldson, Hosmer over Miggy, etc. I'll back Gordon and Cain up to a point, but that's it. The "Escobar is the best SS in the AL cuz glove" posts are pukeworthy.

Some of these bandwagons hardly have a clue who came before 2012 or so is my guess. But oh well, with winning comes douchenozzle bandwagons.

I don't have any problem if people vote a straight ticket if the justification is just to show how outlandish and ridiculous the system really is. If they are voting for Infante on merit though... shame on them for their stupidity. Then again, MLB created this absurd system, so I'd much rather blame them. I mean good grief, each team's twitter account outright asks you to #VoteOrioles, #VoteRoyals, or whatever. It's all absurd.

If MLB insists on the game determining game 7, I don't give a damn how many fans want Jeter in an ASG for nostalgic purposes. If he sucks, he sucks. How is it not the same as the Infante situation is the better question? If it isn't a meritocracy, then MLB should drop the act. If it is, fix the system, or I won't take it seriously. And really, nobody should- it's an exhibition game assigned arbitrary significance right now.

I'd be more than happy to say the same thing if it was say, 8 Rockies starters in the NL or something equally absurd. It's all quality garfinkeling in my book at this point.

How is Jeter getting voted on because he's massively popular on a national scale different from Infante - who sucks and is not popular - getting voted on because a few hundred Royals fans have nothing better to do than rig the vote? If you can't see a glaring difference, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

I do think the AS players should be voted on by the fans because it's an exhibition game for the fans and they should get to see who they want. Clearly, the system needs to be improved, but I think it is worth noting that in all the years of AS voting, Royals fans are the first fans to pull this level assbagery.

I agree that the ASG should not determine home field for the WS. If it were up to me, I'd use the collective results from interleague play to determine which league has home field.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whale sharks have no teeth. they are omnivores...just filter sea water thru their mouths.

Wrong. Whale sharks do have teeth and are carnivores. They eat things like shrimp and plankton by sucking water and to their mouth filtering the water thru their many small teeth. Even though their mouth is big enough to swallow those two idiots, the space between their teeth would only allow a finger to pass through.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Whale sharks do have teeth and are carnivores. They eat things like shrimp and plankton by sucking water and to their mouth filtering the water thru their many small teeth. Even though their mouth is big enough to swallow those two idiots, the space between their teeth would only allow a finger to pass through.
i said theyre omnivores. they are.

i always thought they had no teeth.

images

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Whale Shark are omnivores that feed by swimming with their wide mouths open, all the while collecting plankton, small fish and anything else it swallows. They hardly even need their tiny 3000 teeth, because when they close their mouth the Whale Shark's gills drain out the water and what is left is the dinner for this huge creature.

so i guess they do have teeth, tiny teeth...and they are omnivores.

im batting .500

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shutterstock_whaleshark.jpg

Looks to me like you could fit more than a finger in there.

<unzips pants>

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a totally different note, Clay Buchholz won a game. Or should I saw the Sox didn't loose last night.
The blind squirrel found a nut!

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing as was the 0-1 balk off loss at LAD, that game was also somewhat curiously spectacular. File away the name Anthony Ranaudo, along with those of Nick Martinez and Chi Chi Gonzales. Or not.

Red Sox fans know Ranaudo well. He's another in a long line of phenoms that never was. They are famous for this.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox fans know Ranaudo well. He's another in a long line of phenoms that never was. They are famous for this.

First time I saw him pitch was last night. Since Vin Scully did the telecast, I learned that Ranauda played for Boston, as well a good part of the rest of his life story.

Looked to me like he had really good stuff, particularly his curve ball. Scully's description of him as a fly ball pitcher who gives up a lot HRs, however, tempered my enthusiasm.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time I saw him pitch was last night. Since Vin Scully did the telecast, I learned that Ranauda played for Boston, as well a good part of the rest of his life story.

Looked to me like he had really good stuff, particularly his curve ball. Scully's description of him as a fly ball pitcher who gives up a lot HRs, however, tempered my enthusiasm.

He was supposed to be a stud. He slid in the draft because of signability issues(i.e. Boras) and then he was untouchable in the Cape Cod league. He was a top talent at LSU. Maybe he can still get it together, but he hasn't shown much to date. He's still pretty young if he is able to "figure it out".

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was supposed to be a stud. He slid in the draft because of signability issues(i.e. Boras) and then he was untouchable in the Cape Cod league. He was a top talent at LSU. Maybe he can still get it together, but he hasn't shown much to date. He's still pretty young if he is able to "figure it out".
chappee, who was the pitcher on the sox with one good eye? he wore his hat to one side...everyone thought he was a punk, but it was because he was blind in on eye.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would really be nice for the Rangers if he does live up to his pedigree. I will root for him to do so.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chappee, who was the pitcher on the sox with one good eye? he wore his hat to one side...everyone thought he was a punk, but it was because he was blind in on eye.

Hmmm....that is NOT ringing a bell... Sorry, my man.