• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5/30 GDT: A's @ Zito's

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would not be fully sold on it, at least not until someone can come up with something concrete as to why some guys thrive in the closer role, while other guys wilt.

That said, this uses to work just fine. But then again, guys like Rollie Fingers and Goose Gossage would come in for 3 inning, not 3 out saves, all the time.

So maybe it's better to have 3-4 guys that you feel comfortable throwing out there for the last 2-3 innings of games, and have them on a rotation, too?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe it's better to have 3-4 guys that you feel comfortable throwing out there for the last 2-3 innings of games, and have them on a rotation, too?

I think that is how most teams do their bullpen business by and large. They have a guy they like for the 7th, one for the 8th, one for the 9th, one that can sub for all, and one long man.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but not for any anti-metrics reason. I think Romo is only the best reliever with no one on. It doesn't change his delivery much, but I think it changes what he feels comfortable throwing in certain counts.

I agree re Romo specifically, maybe he's not the best example. but there's something to be said for the idea if you have a guy who can handle coming into situations like that, why do you keep him seated when the game could go sideways on you before he gets a chance to pitch?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think is is a damn crying shame that this kid is far too young to get the Caddyshack reference here.

It would make a good taunt if he did............:thumb:

That is enough of a classic movie that I am 100% positive that he is WELL familiar with "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoonan"

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree re Romo specifically, maybe he's not the best example. but there's something to be said for the idea if you have a guy who can handle coming into situations like that, why do you keep him seated when the game could go sideways on you before he gets a chance to pitch?

That is where you stretch your closer our more than an inning. That can work, and is all fine and good. The downside being though, by doing that, you need to give him more breaks in between games, meaning that you are left with an otherwise "lesser than" arm closing out maybe 1 game per week.

Risk/reward

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is enough of a classic movie that I am 100% positive that he is WELL familiar with "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoonan"

I would hope so anyway. It's a bona fide classic to me, and to most guys around my age or so. In fact, I would think less of someone that could not give me a good quote or two, thinking that there must be something wrong with someone not "in the know".

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected, and correctly admonished.

No admonishment.

Just tried to post a response to your post, and then got all excited about JA's strikeout to end the inning.

I was conversing with a buddy of mine here, who grew up in LA. I don't know whether it is more fun to be in LA while the Giants are winning WS (to give Dodger fans crap), or to be in the Bay Area surrounded by Giant fans, though many are undoubtedly band wagoners. Close call.

I moved to the Bay in 1971 as a young kid, and went often to the Stick to watch Giant sukkitude with the other couple hundred fans in attendance. Still have a box of Croix de Stick's around.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire role of the pitcher has been turned on its head over the last 50 years or so.

I ink a lot of it are due to two things...

1) advanced training. These guys have to train 13 months a year now, and during the season, 27 hours a day, 8 days a week. Just because SPs only go 6 innings today does not mean that they are not doing the equivalent of throwing 15 IP between starts. Te amount of work these guys have to do today compared to 50 years ago is not even comparable.

2) video. The hitters come the park already prepared for the pitcher. 50 years ago, they needed an AB or two to get a real idea of what the pitcher had. The pitcher did not have to throw his 110% stuff every pitch like he does today.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No admonishment.

Just tried to post a response to your post, and then got all excited about JA's strikeout to end the inning.

I was conversing with a buddy of mine here, who grew up in LA. I don't know whether it is more fun to be in LA while the Giants are winning WS (to give Dodger fans crap), or to be in the Bay Area surrounded by Giant fans, though many are undoubtedly band wagoners. Close call.

I moved to the Bay in 1971 as a young kid, and went often to the Stick to watch Giant sukkitude with the other couple hundred fans in attendance. Still have a box of Croix de Stick's around.

I think this is truly a hit and or miss experience thing. And, it depends on how the visiting fan acts and reacts. I know I do not intend to start any trouble when I go to A T & T. That said, I always wear my Dodger gear, even if the Giants are playing someone else.

I have had great times and conversations with many Giants fans. And, on other times, I have had beer and batteries thrown at me.

I just know that I have never seen anything happen to my Giant fan friends when we have gone south for games.

But, like I said, it is hit and miss.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:panda: is what he is. But it is irksome on occasion for his first ball way out of the strike zone hacking that kills rallies.

And then he will hit a curveball on the second bounce for a home run.

Sounds like his idol growing up may have been Vlad Guerrero. Best bad ball hitter I ever saw ( a little to young to have seen Yogi play much though ).