• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers (10-1) @ Ravens (9-2)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but it might change, look how much has changed in the game so far, wouldn't surprise me if one day they jump on this... And I remember very well when we won the division at 7-9 and hosted a playoff game... I didn't like it then even though it was to our advantage... I think the Saint won 11 or 12 games that year, and home field in football is HUGE in the post season.. We got rewarded for being in a terrible division that year...
No one liked it, not even seahawk fans. That's why I say they already had a perfect reason to change it and didn't. I doubt they will.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority here, but I do think the seeding is fair. Want a home game? Fine, win your division. There are divisions for a reason. The 7-9 Seahawks have to apologize to no one. The onus was on the other 3 teams to be better than 7-9.

Who would have thought that team would take out the Saints that year? Mind you this was before the Seahawks had established a home field dominance that would come later. Without that matchup the way it was, one of the greatest postseason moments ever may have never happened. It certainly wouldn't have caused an earthquake in the Bayou.

Bottom line is if you don't want to travel, beat your rivals. Simple as that. Life isn't fair and neither is sports. It's about overcoming adversity, not having a road handed to you.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that if the NFL won't change the rules after the 7-9 Seahawks get a home playoff game against an 11 win team, then nothing will....at least not in the near future. I also believe that if people can't look at that example and not see how stupid it was, nothing will fix that stupidity either. Divisions would still matter if a team 'wins' it with a losing record - and they are still rewarded a playoff spot. That's all it should ever be, and there is no logical reasoning otherwise. None.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority here, but I do think the seeding is fair. Want a home game? Fine, win your division. There are divisions for a reason. The 7-9 Seahawks have to apologize to no one. The onus was on the other 3 teams to be better than 7-9.

Who would have thought that team would take out the Saints that year? Mind you this was before the Seahawks had established a home field dominance that would come later. Without that matchup the way it was, one of the greatest postseason moments ever may have never happened. It certainly wouldn't have caused an earthquake in the Bayou.

Bottom line is if you don't want to travel, beat your rivals. Simple as that. Life isn't fair and neither is sports. It's about overcoming adversity, not having a road handed to you.

I disagree, why should a team get rewarded for being in a bad division ? NFL has tinkered with tons of crap in the game so the obvious one shouldn’t be ignored... Dallas or Philly should not be hosting a playoff game this year, it’s ridiculous.. Look at the advantage home field gives you in the post season! That should be earned not handed away in my opinion.... winning the division should only guarantee you one thing, a playoff birth, seeding should be by record...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, why should a team get rewarded for being in a bad division ? NFL has tinkered with tons of crap in the game so the obvious one shouldn’t be ignored... Dallas or Philly should not be hosting a playoff game this year, it’s ridiculous.. Look at the advantage home field gives you in the post season! That should be earned not handed away in my opinion.... winning the division should only guarantee you one thing, a playoff birth, seeding should be by record...
I would be cool with this.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you. There needs to be a really strong reward to make winning the division really matter, which is good because it intensifies fan interest by fostering regional rivalries. If there wasn't such a strong reward, divisions practically wouldn't matter, and it would pretty much be like all the teams were just clumped together in a big conference.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winning the division should only guarantee you one thing, a playoff birth, seeding should be by record...

This is my stance. It's not like an automatic playoff birth is a small thing.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. There needs to be a really strong reward to make winning the division really matter, which is good because it intensifies fan interest by fostering regional rivalries. If there wasn't such a strong reward, divisions practically wouldn't matter, and it would pretty much be like all the teams were just clumped together in a big conference.

An automatic playoff birth (regardless of record) is a really strong reward.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been my exact point for years. Why does winning a terrible division warrant a home playoff game? It makes absolutely no sense. A trip to the playoffs is enough reward.

The only way I can see this being an issue is if the rare occurrence happens where there are two 11 or 12 win teams in the same division and the next best record is only 10 wins. Who would get the bye in that circumstance?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winning the division should only guarantee you one thing, a playoff birth, seeding should be by record...

This is my stance. It's not like an automatic playoff birth is a small thing.

It's berth, people. Sorry, I couldn't help it. However, it would be entertaining to see one of our favorite players have a playoff birth. Jimmy Garoppolo: Birth of a Legend could be a great film one day.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's berth, people. Sorry, I couldn't help it. However, it would be entertaining to see one of our favorite players have a playoff birth. Jimmy Garoppolo: Birth of a Legend could be a great film one day.

Or, what if some random sideline reporter or **** star gives birth to Jimmy G's baby during the playoffs? Congratulations would be in order. Tommy Garoppolo: Son of a Legend.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, what if some random sideline reporter or **** star gives birth to Jimmy G's baby during the playoffs? Congratulations would be in order.
I think the reporter & the P0rn star should have a playoff birth to see who gets Jimmy G's money!

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An automatic playoff birth (regardless of record) is a really strong reward.

A playoff berth is just a reward. A strong reward is a top 4 seed.

To elaborate, a playoff berth is just a reward in that it's just the minimal thing you can give to a team, since there's not really anything less valuable you could give a team that would mean anything (you either make the playoff, or you don't; there's nothing in-between). For divisions to really mean something more than just a good record and not have the teams all basically be one big conference, there has to be an additional component of the reward to make winning divisions really valuable, hence the additional component of the reward in the seeding.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely understandable. I can't believe I did that. Very disappointed in myself.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A playoff berth is just a reward. A strong reward is a top 4 seed.

To elaborate, a playoff berth is just a reward in that it's just the minimal thing you can give to a team, since there's not really anything less valuable you could give a team that would mean anything (you either make the playoff, or you don't; there's nothing in-between). For divisions to really mean something more than just a good record and not have the teams all basically be one big conference, there has to be an additional component of the reward to make winning divisions really valuable, hence the top 4 seed.

A playoff berth is a strong reward to a 8-8 or 9-7 team. They don't need to be handed anything else.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely understandable. I can't believe I did that. Very disappointed in myself.

I couldn't let it go after I saw that two people were misspelling it, and I couldn't pass up the chance to make a Jimmy G joke. It's really boogie's fault. He influenced you. LOL.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A playoff berth is a strong reward to a 8-8 or 9-7 team. They don't need to be handed anything else.

They can always look at their participation trophy after they are bounced from the playoffs......

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reporter & the P0rn star should have a playoff birth to see who gets Jimmy G's money!

LOL. For Jimmy G's sake, hopefully both women have so much income that the child support payments won't be so bad. Or, he has 100% timeshare of the children and won't have to pay anything.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Making the playoffs isn’t a strong reward ? It still benefits you to be the best in your division, you make the dance!