• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers (10-1) @ Ravens (9-2)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it stated teams shouldn't get rewarded for being in a bad division. They aren't. They get rewarded for winning the division be it a good or bad division. There was a time that only division winners went to the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned wild cards teams can consider themselves lucky to be allowed in to the playoffs at all.
I wish folks would just stop crying about the seeding because the NFL has it right. It's been working just fine and is part of making division rivalries so great. So many crack pots want to change things around. Get rid of divisions or something along those line. Just STFU. If it isn't broke don't go trying to fix it. It's not broke so lets not make changes for the hell of it.
If the Seahawks and 49ers want that top seed let them earn it and the loser gets the hard road during the playoffs. Sounds perfect to me, the winner gets rewarded and the loser still gets a chance. Couldn't be better.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's berth, people. Sorry, I couldn't help it. However, it would be entertaining to see one of our favorite players have a playoff birth. Jimmy Garoppolo: Birth of a Legend could be a great film one day.

lol, he’s got a lot to prove before that, he’s no Joe Montana !

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it stated teams shouldn't get rewarded for being in a bad division. They aren't. They get rewarded for winning the division be it a good or bad division. There was a time that only division winners went to the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned wild cards teams can consider themselves lucky to be allowed in to the playoffs at all.
I wish folks would just stop crying about the seeding because the NFL has it right. It's been working just fine and is part of making division rivalries so great. So many crack pots want to change things around. Get rid of divisions or something along those line. Just STFU. If it isn't broke don't go trying to fix it. It's not broke so lets not make changes for the hell of it.
If the Seahawks and 49ers want that top seed let them earn it and the loser gets the hard road during the playoffs. Sounds perfect to me, the winner gets rewarded and the loser still gets a chance. Couldn't be better.

We rarely disagree, but I gotta disagree with you on this one, the NFL has it wrong here... Because you’re better than 3 other teams you get a home playoff game and a higher seed than a team that might have 5 more wins than you in a tougher division ? That’s not fair it’s a rapping ... I mean I like the division rivalry stuff, so I get your point, but it’s not a fair system, not even close...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We rarely disagree, but I gotta disagree with you on this one, the NFL has it wrong here... Because you’re better than 3 other teams you get a home playoff game and a higher seed than a team that might have 5 more wins than you in a tougher division ? That’s not fair it’s a rapping ... I mean I like the division rivalry stuff, so I get your point, but it’s not a fair system, not even close...

For sure we aren't going to agree @boogiewithstu2007 . NFL coaches and teams preach about how important division games are. They pour a lot of work into those games, because it's a big advantage to win the division. Coming in second isn't winning and just to be allowed into the playoffs was a bow to rewarding the losing team a participation ribbon so to speak. Now folks want second place to receive a bigger reward, better ribbon, for not winning the division. Basically making it less important to win the division and I say screw that. Nothing makes me happier then having the team I root for beat a division rival. No way do I want that deluded and what is being proposed would do just that.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure we aren't going to agree @boogiewithstu2007 . NFL coaches and teams preach about how important division games are. They pour a lot of work into those games, because it's a big advantage to win the division. Coming in second isn't winning and just to be allowed into the playoffs was a bow to rewarding the losing team a participation ribbon so to speak. Now folks want second place to receive a bigger reward, better ribbon, for not winning the division. Basically making it less important to win the division and I say screw that. Nothing makes me happier then having the team I root for beat a division rival. No way do I want that deluded and what is being proposed would do just that.

The 2nd place team in the NFCW can't do a damn thing about which dysfunctional team falls ass backwards into the NFCE division title. Why does sucking the least in the East mean they deserve a home game in the playoffs? Having a spot in the playoffs is reward enough.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hilarious thing about this is, not only did those 11-5 Saints have to travel to a 7-9 team because Seattle 'won' the division....the TB Bucs were 10-6 that year and missed the playoffs.

Again...really no logical argument can be made in favour of Sea. hosting that playoff game. Sorry....'because they won the division' simply isn't credible

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints, Bucs, Seattle all being talked about in a 49ers v Ravens game thread. Sweet

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints, Bucs, Seattle all being talked about in a 49ers v Ravens game thread. Sweet

Just as long as it isn't the Pats :suds:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can still preserve the greatness of division rivalries without giving all division winners a home playoff game. I am definitely against getting rid of divisions. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone in this thread advocating for that.

Playoffs are kind of a necessary evil. Some would argue that it's not the best way to determine a champion, but it's absolutely necessary in the NFL because there is no way to do a league-wide round robin. A team that is .500 or worse, such as an 8-8 division winner, is lucky that they still have a chance to become league champion. I don't feel bad making an 8-8 division winner have to start the playoffs on the road. Like others here have said, making the playoffs is a good enough reward for winning a division. You should have to earn a home playoff game by having a better record than your playoff opponent.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hilarious thing about this is, not only did those 11-5 Saints have to travel to a 7-9 team because Seattle 'won' the division....the TB Bucs were 10-6 that year and missed the playoffs.

Again...really no logical argument can be made in favour of Sea. hosting that playoff game. Sorry....'because they won the division' simply isn't credible
If Seahawks and 49ers end up winning out until they met at the end of the season. The drama is going to be thru the roof, because there is a whole lot at stake. Do want to change a whole lot at stake to a little bit is at stake? Myself I relish that this game is a big deal and that is knowing the 49ers have been arguable the best team in the conference thus far.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd place team in the NFCW can't do a damn thing about which dysfunctional team falls ass backwards into the NFCE division title. Why does sucking the least in the East mean they deserve a home game in the playoffs? Having a spot in the playoffs is reward enough.
Why even have divisions if you just want to neuter the importance of them? The great games you see ever year between division rivalries would be nearly of as much drama if you make it less important to win the division.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why even have divisions if you just want to neuter the importance of them? The great games you see ever year between division rivalries would be nearly of as much drama if you make it less important to win the division.

Since inferior teams that make the playoffs are lucky to even have a chance to still be league champion, I think that a playoff format should be designed to tilt things a little bit in favor of the superior teams. That's why the 1 and 2 seed get a first round bye. That is why the 1 seed gets to play the lowest seed team that survives the wild card round. That kinda gets screwed up if the lowest seed team is actually the best team that survives the wild card round. That is a rare occurrence, but it is an imperfection of the system, IMO.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of those shit ass teams in the NFCE is going to be in the playoffs when they, otherwise, would not be. That is the importance of winning their division.

We seem to disagree on how important an automatic berth in the playoffs is.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seahawks and 49ers end up winning out until they met at the end of the season. The drama is going to be thru the roof, because there is a whole lot at stake. Do want to change a whole lot at stake to a little bit is at stake? Myself I relish that this game is a big deal and that is knowing the 49ers have been arguable the best team in the conference thus far.

So a potential 13-win team should be penalized because they didn't win a division...but some suck-ass team from the East gets to host a playoff game because they won a laughable division? Makes no sense to me. The reward you get for 'winning' a shit division at something like 8-8 should be nothing more than a playoff berth.

I don't see a logical argument against it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all sick of your winning ways. Absolutely sick of it. What deal did BB or Kraft make with the devil? I know it wasn't Tom who made that deal. He is a good, wholesome boy from the Bay Area.

BB corrupted Brady for sure. Win 18 Super Bowls then retire was the deal

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know one thing we will agree upon though, GO HAWKS!! Big game tonight ....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a logical argument against it.
The logic behind it is to keep the drama at a high pitch by making it important to win your division. NFL has scheduled division match ups near the end of the season, so there will be show downs that mean something. That's worth keeping. You all want to harp on some down division getting one home game like that's a big deal, it's not a big deal. Certainly not worth undermining the high drama these division show down under the current set up.

However everyone is dug into their view on the matter, so don't see the point of continuing to try to change anyone views. I don't expect we'll see any changes so your going to have to deal with. It is what it is.