• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$28,050,288 In Cap Room

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. I just read today on rotoworld.com that we have interest in Suh and bringing back Rak.

We should have interest in bringing back Rak... at the right price considering his injury history.

As for Suh... If he comes in and can be the impact for us that he has ben.. I would be all for it... except that in year three of his deal we better hope the cap is up to $170 million or its going to hurt like hell.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
odrick's price tag is for 7 mil a season . not sure he is worth that

bulaga has injury concerns and he will be an overpay too

now we all know you have to do that in FA but we need to limit that

suh would be hugely expensive

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pay for upside. These guys are young. Supposedly their best days are coming. As far as Rak, his best days are behind him. So you don't pay for older injury prone guys.

By signing Ordrick and drafting Shelton. We should have the best front seven in the division. Why are you guys against that? It would be money well spent.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pay for upside. These guys are young. Supposedly their best days are coming. As far as Rak, his best days are behind him. So you don't pay for older injury prone guys.

By signing Ordrick and drafting Shelton. We should have the best front seven in the division. Why are you guys against that? It would be money well spent.

Honest answer.. because you seem to be hell bent on drafting Shelton and would give up anything short of the left nut or your daughters virginity to see us get him. And Im not so sure about the virginity thing. I have learned over the past 20 years that the cant miss guy in DC usually turns out to be nothing short of a sever disappointment more often than not. Its usually the guys who are considered a slightly questionable pick ( Williams over Okung, Kerrigan) that work out for the Skins. So my money is on the smart pick of Schreff.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

upside ? what upside ? his sack totals have gone down 3 years in a row and his worst rating as a pro was in the 3-4 . 7 mil is a huge overpay for odrick . for 4 mil i could take the gamble but 7 mil ? not so much

bulaga has missed a boatload of games . again he is young but at what price do we go for a guy like him ? high priced guys need to be avoided because frankly the bust rate is very high

this all wreaks of business as usual . cut corners trying to compete instead of building a long term solution

our FA signing need to be short term deals for young guys to fill holes until we draft our own

guys like odrick and bulaga are looking for pay days if they leave competitive teams for a perennial also ran like us

i cant see us resigning Rak . the falcons are interested and why engage in a bidding war . to me rak is 3-4 mil tops

paying odrick 7 mil and stiffing a core redskins like rak could also upset the locker room . because the fan may want to cut ties because he didnt meet expectations the guys in that locker room have to wonder why a model citizen and 3x pro bowler cant rate a contract, and a odrick , who hasnt sniffed a pro bowl deserves a pay day

now dont confuse this for wanting rak . that isnt the case but i dont see all the man love for a guy whose track record indicates he isnt a 3-4 fit by stats , proven data , and who avgs a mere 3.5 sacks

7 mil is a huge overpay

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone act as if we have a ton of cap space? Sure it's a big number but the fact is we are middle of the pack at 14 on that list. Every team got a big bump when the cap went up and half the league is in a similar, or better, cap situation than we are in. So I don't see a lot of movement, teams have the money to sign their own, and they also have the cap space to over bid our offer. Interesting how there is a very clear pattern with the top of the list dominated by crappy teams.

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skinsdad you are saying 7 mil per season. you don't know that for sure. you cant talk about money until you know what these guys sign for. There is reported interest in dan Williams. that would end the Shelton discussion.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone act as if we have a ton of cap space? Sure it's a big number but the fact is we are middle of the pack at 14 on that list. Every team got a big bump when the cap went up and half the league is in a similar, or better, cap situation than we are in. So I don't see a lot of movement, teams have the money to sign their own, and they also have the cap space to over bid our offer. Interesting how there is a very clear pattern with the top of the list dominated by crappy teams.

You are so correct. You always have to factor in guys that need to be re-signed - both at the current time & in the next few years. This is where the current FO should do well. SM has a great track record as GM & Allen is very good in regards to the cap. I am also sure that both of them are well aware of the Skins poor track in this area & that is why it would shock me if they pursued someone like Suh - way too big of a risk & I am sure that most Skins fans are tired of moves like this that generally blow up in the Redskins face.

I am all for a modest approach knowing that guys like Kerrigan and Morris will need to be taken care of in the near future (& if the Skins get lucky the same might hold true for one of the QBs on the roster). Again - everyone needs to be patient & have a little faith in the FO.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great news -- if it's true. With the upward adjustment of our cap to $146M, I would've thought we had around $21M or so, but what's a few million dollars here or there, right? :)

Anyways, some of the cap numbers look a bit iffy. For instance, the Cowboys number seems a bit high as well after Bryant got the franchise tag. That's $13M off their cap via the tag and they had about that much last time I checked. Of course, they might've made a few moves to free up space too.

If $28M is our cap number, then I'd say it's time to start thinking about an extension with people like Alf, Kerrigan, and Williams. In fact, extending the latter two would create more cap space.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great news -- if it's true. With the upward adjustment of our cap to $146M, I would've thought we had around $21M or so, but what's a few million dollars here or there, right? :)

Anyways, some of the cap numbers look a bit iffy. For instance, the Cowboys number seems a bit high as well after Bryant got the franchise tag. That's $13M off their cap via the tag and they had about that much last time I checked. Of course, they might've made a few moves to free up space too.

If $28M is our cap number, then I'd say it's time to start thinking about an extension with people like Alf, Kerrigan, and Williams. In fact, extending the latter two would create more cap space.

After tagging Bryant Dallas is at around $6.5 This does not take into account the annual Tony Romo rework that I expect in the next few days unless they work Dez long term.

As for the Skins, we are in good but not great cap situation. Bright side, we dont have any one that we needed to tag. Dark side, we have alot of holes to fill.

I dont think the SUH thing will happen, but its not out of the realm of doable. My dark horse is actually the other Detroit DT, Fairley.

Saturday we will start getting word of guys we are actually talking to instead of just speculation on who we might talk to. It should be interesting, and by this time next month we will all be once again full of hope.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Diana Russini is reporting that we'll be a suitor for Suh. How big of a suitor is another question. Obviously if he re-signs with the Lions, that makes the point wholly moot. One hangup Suh may have here is a Haynesworth-like issue of him not wanting to play a 3-4 NT. I'm not sure if he'll be as bad as Fat Al on this, but that may be a consideration both parties needs to take into account.

I agree with you on Fairley. Or how about Ahtyba Rubin from Cleveland? Those are certainly more value picks than Suh would be.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Diana Russini is reporting that we'll be a suitor for Suh. How big of a suitor is another question. Obviously if he re-signs with the Lions, that makes the point wholly moot. One hangup Suh may have here is a Haynesworth-like issue of him not wanting to play a 3-4 NT. I'm not sure if he'll be as bad as Fat Al on this, but that may be a consideration both parties needs to take into account.

I agree with you on Fairley. Or how about Ahtyba Rubin from Cleveland? Those are certainly more value picks than Suh would be.

One thing is for sure, the defense has got to be rock solid this year. So while I wont say I expect Suh to be here, I expect alot of movement on the defensive side of the ball in the next 15 days. They are going to hand Barry the keys to a lot of talent. Deep down Dan is still on the QB reclamation project. And right now thats going to mean the defense has to be alot better. While Scot may be the guy making the moves, Dan has likely given him a directive.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure, the defense has got to be rock solid this year. So while I wont say I expect Suh to be here, I expect alot of movement on the defensive side of the ball in the next 15 days. They are going to hand Barry the keys to a lot of talent. Deep down Dan is still on the QB reclamation project. And right now thats going to mean the defense has to be alot better. While Scot may be the guy making the moves, Dan has likely given him a directive.

I think our biggest need is o-line, in particular, RT. That's because RGIII or whomever is going to be taking snaps under center is the focal point of this team or any other team for that matter. If you put a solid o-line around him, he doesn't have to win games for you and can, as a young player, develop on the job.

We have got way too many holes to fill and I'd just as soon fill the holes on the o-line first. I'd get Mike Iupati to play LG next to Trent, either shift Lauvao to RG or put Spencer Long there, and draft a RT like Andrus Peat or Lael Collins. Then we can start in on the defense. Unfortunately, there'll still be plenty of holes to fill there and we'll have to wait out another year of suck before we can get around to that. Poor Joe Barry. He might have another Detroit-like failure as a defensive coordinator on his record after this year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why does the defense need to be rock solid this year? This is consistent with the mindset that everything needs to be fixed in one offseason, and this is the type of philosophy that has consistently kept the Redskins near the bottom. Just work to improve the team gradually and hope for the best for the coming season. I would much rather see steady progress then a series of flashy moves that ultimately keep this team going in circles.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal... I know we all want to build through the draft. But some where in there Dan is going to have influence. And right now I think Dan is still on the RG3 fan wagon. If the defense is rock solid, then we will likely see improvement from the offensive side of the ball. If the defense is just as bad, it wont be nearly as easy to justify keeping Robert if we are 5-11 again. So bottom line is we either need to finish well enough to justify keeping Robert, or poorly enough to justify the move it will likely take to replace him. The age of the 5 year rebuild has passed. So we either improve this year, or some one is searching for a job.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, I agree that if the defense is bad, it'll make it harder on the offense. But if we've got a decent/good offense, we can make things a lot prettier than things really are. On offense, we're not that far off, believe it or not. Get a good o-line, that'll open things up for Alf and allow RGIII time to throw and develop. If we play the time of ball control that the Cowboys did this year, we can help a bad defense by keeping it off the field for lengths at a time.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having a good offensive line will not only help Griffin out it will help Alf out big time running the ball

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, dont get it twisted.. I have been virtually SCREAMING for O-line help this off season. I think it should be the primary focus. Granted not for the same reasons as every one else. But I also think that we just fired 90% of the defensive staff. We have more holes on the defense. Ad I think that they basically blamed last year on Haslett. These are the reasons I think they make a heavy defensive push and that the Defense has got to show dramatic improvement.

Flip side of that is, we have got to figure out the QB position this year as well. Because even if we suck again, I dont have alot of faith in the QB class of next year. So as much as I still have doubt RG3 will ever be more than average, and I think Kirk is a backup with potential... Im seriously hoping one of the two pans out to be an option for at least the next few years.