• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$28,050,288 In Cap Room

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal... I know we all want to build through the draft. But some where in there Dan is going to have influence. And right now I think Dan is still on the RG3 fan wagon. If the defense is rock solid, then we will likely see improvement from the offensive side of the ball. If the defense is just as bad, it wont be nearly as easy to justify keeping Robert if we are 5-11 again. So bottom line is we either need to finish well enough to justify keeping Robert, or poorly enough to justify the move it will likely take to replace him. The age of the 5 year rebuild has passed. So we either improve this year, or some one is searching for a job.

Who said anything about a 5 year rebuild? I also am not claiming that the Redskins should strictly build via the draft. I am just maintaining that the goal should just not be perfection for the upcoming season on either side of the ball. The goal should be improvement with the ultimate goal being a solid team over the next few years. I would rather they improve a step at a time instead of taking one step forward & two steps back like they have pretty much done for most of the past 10 years.

I will stay out of the RG3 talk since it is simply conjecture. However - I truly believe that the current GM will be able to operate on his own for the most part. If not then it is highly likely that he will bolt, and I might be in a position where I will permanently give up on this team. Keeping the faith until that happens - we will see.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with jettisoning RGIII or Cousins is the issue of who their replacement will be. If you can't name someone to fill in for them, we're basically stuck with either -- or both. Unlike other QBs, RGIII won the ROY back in 2012 and led us to a division title back then. Say what you want about how he's changed or how defenses have caught up, he's still got some darn good upside. The issue is whether both he and Gruden can get together to plan how he can learn on the job to becoming a pocket passer but continue to gameplan to his strengths. Robert is very intelligent, has a rocket arm, and is still incredibly athletic. He still has to learn how to be pocket passer. Let's phase him into that stage of his career and watch him reach the potential we know he has.

As for Haslett . . . please don't get me started with him . . .

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with jettisoning RGIII or Cousins is the issue of who their replacement will be. If you can't name someone to fill in for them, we're basically stuck with either -- or both. Unlike other QBs, RGIII won the ROY back in 2012 and led us to a division title back then. Say what you want about how he's changed or how defenses have caught up, he's still got some darn good upside. The issue is whether both he and Gruden can get together to plan how he can learn on the job to becoming a pocket passer but continue to gameplan to his strengths. Robert is very intelligent, has a rocket arm, and is still incredibly athletic. He still has to learn how to be pocket passer. Let's phase him into that stage of his career and watch him reach the potential we know he has.

As for Haslett . . . please don't get me started with him . . .

Kind of a non-issue for me. At this pt I have low expectations for both. I would love to be pleasantly surprised by either. However - even if they fail - I believe that this team will take steps to improve most/all of the other positions over the next few years. If that results in a team that is relatively solid except for QB - NP - that would be a major improvement & something that can be addressed in the future. This isn't all going to be fixed overnight.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a non-issue for me. At this pt I have low expectations for both. I would love to be pleasantly surprised by either. However - even if they fail - I believe that this team will take steps to improve most/all of the other positions over the next few years. If that results in a team that is relatively solid except for QB - NP - that would be a major improvement & something that can be addressed in the future. This isn't all going to be fixed overnight.

If Robert or Kirk don't progress to a point where they can be frontline starters, but above-average game managers, that's not bad. We can always use them like a Russell Wilson or Kap, neither of whom are good passing QBs. Fortifying them with a strong o-line and stout running game would be lifesavers for them. And I think that Robert and Kirk have more potential to be better passers than Wilson or Kap.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skinsdad you are saying 7 mil per season. you don't know that for sure. you cant talk about money until you know what these guys sign for. There is reported interest in dan Williams. that would end the Shelton discussion.

the figure put out is 7 mil

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we have an issue at qb and we dont have a prospect we can draft this year or next , the prudent thing is to add pieces around the qb position

we need to focus on the BPA and go from there either at the LOS or the secondary

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we have an issue at qb and we dont have a prospect we can draft this year or next , the prudent thing is to add pieces around the qb position

we need to focus on the BPA and go from there either at the LOS or the secondary

:agree:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to spend or get penalized and nobody is saying go out and pay blockbuster deals get young good players for fair deals
We have to spend, but not necessarily on others star FAs. We can sign our own first. Then we can lock up Trent and Kerrigan and Robinson so the all retire as Redskins. Then we can sign quality, value oriented, outside FAs that fill holes. We shouldn't blow half our cap space on one guy. We've tried that a couple of times. Has it ever worked?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I do expect we will be active in FA. I see us signing 4-7 guys. Most will be good players, but not great (yet).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the same way jy19. We will be very active with one or two splash guys like Iupati, Bulaga, or ORdrick.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having a good offensive line will not only help Griffin out it will help Alf out big time running the ball

Of all the players in the league RGIII appears to be one of the most dependent on good protection. His problems are feeling pressure and throwing on time before the pass rush buries him. Poor pass protection only magnifies these problems. A clean pocket with 3-4 seconds to throw as Romo gets would make a huge difference in his performance, not to mention what a good running game would do.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the players in the league RGIII appears to be one of the most dependent on good protection. His problems are feeling pressure and throwing on time before the pass rush buries him. Poor pass protection only magnifies these problems. A clean pocket with 3-4 seconds to throw as Romo gets would make a huge difference in his performance, not to mention what a good running game would do.

He is dependent on that protection if all he's doing is passing the ball. If he's running a 50-series every now and then, the protection doesn't need to be as good. But while he's learning to be a pocket passer, he'll need that protection to learn on the job. The kid still has issues in reading defenses, going through progressions, and holding the ball too long. But I firmly believe he can learn all that -- if you phase him into that.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is dependent on that protection if all he's doing is passing the ball. If he's running a 50-series every now and then, the protection doesn't need to be as good. But while he's learning to be a pocket passer, he'll need that protection to learn on the job. The kid still has issues in reading defenses, going through progressions, and holding the ball too long. But I firmly believe he can learn all that -- if you phase him into that.
I would agree that those skills can be learned. What is harder to overcome is is developing pocket presence. This is almost a sense or feeling. You either can "feel" the pressure and move in the pocket while still keeping your eyes downfield, or you can't. Its not really a learned skill. Unfortunately RG3 has not shown much so far with this capability and it is critical to being a pocket passer.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that those skills can be learned. What is harder to overcome is is developing pocket presence. This is almost a sense or feeling. You either can "feel" the pressure and move in the pocket while still keeping your eyes downfield, or you can't. Its not really a learned skill. Unfortunately RG3 has not shown much so far with this capability and it is critical to being a pocket passer.

Our O-line is just horrible I believe Brady,Manning,Rodgers,Luck would all fail with this bunch trying to protect them

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our O-line is just horrible I believe Brady,Manning,Rodgers,Luck would all fail with this bunch trying to protect them

You pick 4 QBs who

1. Know how to read defenses
2. Dont hold onto the ball too long
and
3. Realize when a play is busted and will get rid of it rather than hold it LONGER

I think while they might not be as successful as they are right now, but I think you are reaching if you say any one of them would fail simply because they came to the Redskins with the exact same talent as RG3 has had around him.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pick 4 QBs who

1. Know how to read defenses
2. Dont hold onto the ball too long
and
3. Realize when a play is busted and will get rid of it rather than hold it LONGER

I think while they might not be as successful as they are right now, but I think you are reaching if you say any one of them would fail simply because they came to the Redskins with the exact same talent as RG3 has had around him.

there is no reaching to it they would not succeed with our o-line like they are with their current teams

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no reaching to it they would not succeed with our o-line like they are with their current teams

Agreed, but not reaching the levels they are currently at and failing are two totally different things. I think you put a good QB on this team and we become average. Right now we suck for a very long time. What you are hinting at is those four QBs would suck on this team, and that simply is not the case. They would have a performance drop off, but you got to perform to have a drop off in the first place. So if you are saying those four would be just as bad as RG3 behind this line... I call BS on that one.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but not reaching the levels they are currently at and failing are two totally different things. I think you put a good QB on this team and we become average. Right now we suck for a very long time. What you are hinting at is those four QBs would suck on this team, and that simply is not the case. They would have a performance drop off, but you got to perform to have a drop off in the first place. So if you are saying those four would be just as bad as RG3 behind this line... I call BS on that one.

You are correct. The truth is that the blame cannot go to any one person. RG3 & Cousins have issues that hamper this offense. Both of them will no doubt have an opportunity to address their faults to see if they can overcome them (whether on the Skins or elsewhere).

At the same time there is plenty of blame to go around both on the O-line and in the coaching area. In these areas the Redskins either have or will make upgrades either this or next offseason. Time for all parties to put up or shut up. No sense in debating this stuff too much - next season will determine where all of these folks stand & whether any of them have a future with the Redskins.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take that bet. I'm not saying our OL is good, but the majority of that sacks that RG3 incurred were the result of rg3 holding onto the ball too long. The 4 you mention don't do that. They know how to read a defense presnap. None of those 4 would fail with any NFL OL. Their success isn't dependent upon an OL giving them 3-5 seconds to find a receiver.