• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this move - this will go a long way to helping all the young guys in the secondary and new faces as well...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently they are still trying to get Reader back as well...

He destroyed us last season. Consistent player. Much older than Duke's normal approach during free agency, but we are in desperate need. If they can get Reader back and also add a high draft, we could have the makings of a good rotation. Keep in mind that this is Hill's last year on his deal.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this move - this will go a long way to helping all the young guys in the secondary and new faces as well...

I would think that they want to start Stone/Battle. It's hard for me to imagine that Bell can't find a starting job somewhere. But yes, he was a leader on this team and I'm sure they could throw him in there and he could clean up some of the problems that plagued the group last year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that they want to start Stone/Battle. It's hard for me to imagine that Bell can't find a starting job somewhere. But yes, he was a leader on this team and I'm sure they could throw him in there and he could clean up some of the problems that plagued the group last year.
They may want to, but I can't imagine them giving anyone in that room a starting job without earning it, except Stone. I think we may see a lot of 3 safety looks and there may be a lot of rotation to keep guys fresh, along with Dax basically becoming the next Hilton.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stone is strong in coverage and Bell is strong against the run game. These guys compliment each other well and can be used where the situation warrants it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - I think he's back to be a sub/bench guy and leader in the room. A big miss last year wasn't just Bell on the field, it was the fact that you have 4 guys with a combined 2 years of experience, and only 1 of them played the same position the previous year...so you have 4 guys with only 1 returning starter at those positions...3 new positional starters...there wasn't anyone anywhere to help them line up, communicate, etc...etc....

That, to me, is where I see Bell filling in - I'm sure he'll see the field some, but his biggest impact is what he's going to bring to the rest of the secondary group by way of communication and leadership.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may want to, but I can't imagine them giving anyone in that room a starting job without earning it, except Stone. I think we may see a lot of 3 safety looks and there may be a lot of rotation to keep guys fresh, along with Dax basically becoming the next Hilton.
Battle earned it. He's in Bells' spot. He rated out at 82, one of the highest rated rookie defenders last year - and best safety IIRC.

Safety was AN issue last year....not THE issue...THE issue was multi-fold - the Safety position just gets the focus because they lost both Bell and Bates - big name guys.

Starters will likely be Stone and Battle, with Hill moving into that old Flowers role of 3rd safety/cover TE/slot - and Bell being a coach from the sidelines and making sure this young group learns what they need from a leadership standpoint.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battle earned it. He's in Bells' spot. He rated out at 82, one of the highest rated rookie defenders last year - and best safety IIRC.

Safety was AN issue last year....not THE issue...THE issue was multi-fold - the Safety position just gets the focus because they lost both Bell and Bates - big name guys.

Starters will likely be Stone and Battle, with Hill moving into that old Flowers role of 3rd safety/cover TE/slot - and Bell being a coach from the sidelines and making sure this young group learns what they need from a leadership standpoint.
Well, I can see Bell being brought in as a mentor, but I can tell you right now, Bell will be playing. May be a lot of 3 safety looks, which means rotation of guys on the field. We have 4 starters at safety, one of which is the most knowledgeable of Lou's system, which you think is the odd man out.

Geno Stone
Jordan Battle
Vonn Bell
Dax Hill
Cam Taylor-Britt
Juan Drago Turner
Mike Hilton

Only 5 will see the field at a time usually unless offense is in a dime package.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can see Bell being brought in as a mentor, but I can tell you right now, Bell will be playing. May be a lot of 3 safety looks, which means rotation of guys on the field. We have 4 starters at safety, one of which is the most knowledgeable of Lou's system, which you think is the odd man out.

Geno Stone
Jordan Battle
Vonn Bell
Dax Hill
Cam Taylor-Britt
Juan Drago Turner
Mike Hilton

Only 5 will see the field at a time usually unless offense is in a dime package.
Never said he wouldn't play - said he wouldn't start - he'll likely be a sub guy...and that's fine.

It's a 1 year deal at the minimum for the Bengals ($6M overall with almost all of it paid by CAR). So, playing him a ton doesn't make a lot of sense unless they were keeping him long-term. The idea is to get a captain back who can help teach Lou's system to the young guys and new faces. That was a huge missing piece last year...you had a lot of new guys and no one who had ever done anything before.

Don't get me wrong - he'll be on the field...but his greatest impact is going to be his ability to relay and teach the information to the young guys and new faces so that next year - you have Battle in year 3, and Hill in year 4, and everyone is on the same page and those guys can pick up where Bell left off. There was no "transfer" last year...it was a replacement that happened...and I think the Bengals thought Bell would return - they offered pretty much the same deal as CAR - and he turned it down...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Bengals have any interest in Trent Brown for RT? I know he played LT last year, but he has played RT in his career and he is a huge dude, kinda like what you would expect from a RT. Then if we draft a RT, Brown can be the versatile tackle that goes left or right.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sign reader please. He's the cat's pajamas!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Bengals have any interest in Trent Brown for RT? I know he played LT last year, but he has played RT in his career and he is a huge dude, kinda like what you would expect from a RT. Then if we draft a RT, Brown can be the versatile tackle that goes left or right.
Not sure - I think it comes down to cost for RT, because I think that is their plan in round 1....

Also - I think if they are going to spend, they are likely to do so to keep Reader and/or find a NT replacement. Rankins is a solid 3-tech to rotate with Hill, and over Reader in passing downs....but on 1st and 2nd downs - they still need a plug - and the market kind of is what it is this year for DT's. Bengals had to go outside their MO to land Rankins, and may have to do so again to keep Reader, or land another NT.

So - with that in mind...that comes back to the RT spot....depends on what everyone is looking for in a contract - because at this moment - I'm not sure I see the Bengals spending good money at this point on RT.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure - I think it comes down to cost for RT, because I think that is their plan in round 1....

Also - I think if they are going to spend, they are likely to do so to keep Reader and/or find a NT replacement. Rankins is a solid 3-tech to rotate with Hill, and over Reader in passing downs....but on 1st and 2nd downs - they still need a plug - and the market kind of is what it is this year for DT's. Bengals had to go outside their MO to land Rankins, and may have to do so again to keep Reader, or land another NT.

So - with that in mind...that comes back to the RT spot....depends on what everyone is looking for in a contract - because at this moment - I'm not sure I see the Bengals spending good money at this point on RT.
What worries me about that plan, and I know that tackle is kind of a stacked position this year in the draft, they need a RT not a conversion RT from left. Not sure how many guys fit that position, and how much teams behind or ahead or going to say, the Bengals are drafting a tackle, we need to get ours before they draft. Then we miss out on a solid RT, but once again, a potential solid RT who is a rookie blocking for Burrow.

Reader returning would be ideal, but with the price that other top DL have got this year, Reader is going to get $20-$25 million a year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me about that plan, and I know that tackle is kind of a stacked position this year in the draft, they need a RT not a conversion RT from left. Not sure how many guys fit that position, and how much teams behind or ahead or going to say, the Bengals are drafting a tackle, we need to get ours before they draft. Then we miss out on a solid RT, but once again, a potential solid RT who is a rookie blocking for Burrow.

Reader returning would be ideal, but with the price that other top DL have got this year, Reader is going to get $20-$25 million a year.
The draft is solid with RT in the 1st round...there are, likely, to be at least 3-4 from 15-30. Mims would be a great fit, and is almost always available in every mock so far, and in some Mocks where they have the Bengals taking someone else, Mims is still around in the 20's.

It's like a risk they are going to have to take because...they failed to shore this up last year. So, at some point - they are going to have to gamble a little bit - and a guy like Becton, who I'm not fond of, is at least on your roster (or Brown) so that if you don't get that guy in round 1 (and there are still going to be guys available who are good in round 2 and 3, and don't forget - that extra 3rd is huge - it can allow them to take 1 guy a little earlier than they might have knowing they have that extra pick).

I agree - it's a risk...but it's a risk that they have kind of cornered themselves into.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is solid with RT in the 1st round...there are, likely, to be at least 3-4 from 15-30. Mims would be a great fit, and is almost always available in every mock so far, and in some Mocks where they have the Bengals taking someone else, Mims is still around in the 20's.

It's like a risk they are going to have to take because...they failed to shore this up last year. So, at some point - they are going to have to gamble a little bit - and a guy like Becton, who I'm not fond of, is at least on your roster (or Brown) so that if you don't get that guy in round 1 (and there are still going to be guys available who are good in round 2 and 3, and don't forget - that extra 3rd is huge - it can allow them to take 1 guy a little earlier than they might have knowing they have that extra pick).

I agree - it's a risk...but it's a risk that they have kind of cornered themselves into.
I don't disagree after looking at our free agent pickups. They have to go RT, I just hope there is not a flurry of trading up to grab these tackles leaving us with our thumbs up our asses going, well, best player available while we have a guy from Kroger blocking TJ Watt and Myles Garrett.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree after looking at our free agent pickups. They have to go RT, I just hope there is not a flurry of trading up to grab these tackles leaving us with our thumbs up our asses going, well, best player available while we have a guy from Kroger blocking TJ Watt and Myles Garrett.
Hey now...leave me out of this! lol

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson Carman is now the starting RT until further notice.

I believe we will address in the draft.