• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno... I mean on paper the Texans won the trade, but was this really needed? Collins and Dell (much younger) are probably annoyed, and now you're gonna bring in a prima donna WR who has flamed out on two teams with good QBs (always though Cousins was underrated, Bradford you could argue was whatever)..

Why disrupt what worked last season? It's a deep WR class... draft someone? Or just stick with what you have? Diggs could knock down the entire development of Stroud IMO.

I'll give it a C grade for both teams.... Bills didn't acquire much, but while I'd like this trade for a seasoned vet who 100% runs the show like Mahomes, I HATE this trade for a guy coming into his second year...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno... I mean on paper the Texans won the trade, but was this really needed? Collins and Dell (much younger) are probably annoyed, and now you're gonna bring in a prima donna WR who has flamed out on two teams with good QBs (always though Cousins was underrated, Bradford you could argue was whatever)..

Why disrupt what worked last season? It's a deep WR class... draft someone? Or just stick with what you have? Diggs could knock down the entire development of Stroud IMO.

I'll give it a C grade for both teams.... Bills didn't acquire much, but while I'd like this trade for a seasoned vet who 100% runs the show like Mahomes, I HATE this trade for a guy coming into his second year...
Yeah they likely stay young at WR and plenty of options at 42 and 59. They could still add one though bc they traded a future 2nd. Diggs is short-term but he could make this offense UNSTOPPABLE. One problem, you have great chemistry with this group and you bring in a diva. I venture it could work but there is always the what-if. The Browns didn't have as talented of WR group but they brought in OBJ and it didn't pan out. Stroud seems like he can could the ball to anyone though so I'm not sure why they need Diggs. They have the money and they are all-in now so I can't blame them. A QB on a rookie contract is extremely valuable in this league.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they likely stay young at WR and plenty of options at 42 and 59. They could still add one though bc they traded a future 2nd. Diggs is short-term but he could make this offense UNSTOPPABLE. One problem, you have great chemistry with this group and you bring in a diva. I venture it could work but there is always the what-if. The Browns didn't have as talented of WR group but they brought in OBJ and it didn't pan out. Stroud seems like he can could the ball to anyone though so I'm not sure why they need Diggs. They have the money and they are all-in now so I can't blame them. A QB on a rookie contract is extremely valuable in this league.

Yah you hit on all the points. It could be fine, but at the same time it's kind of "Why?"

Hence my C grade (meh) for both teams lol.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to add another one.

Houston has Diggs, Collins, Dell and Woods as their #4 WR.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to add another one.

Houston has Diggs, Collins, Dell and Woods as their #4 WR.

That's kind of the problem I have with the trade... Diggs is IMO a 1 year rental. He has an out after this year ($0 dead cap)... so why trade at all for him? Hang on to the picks and build the team up correctly. I also think Diggs can potentially disrupt the locker room and WR group that Stroud built up... don't bring in a 'it's all about me' WR to a young group like that...

It can work out, but I think this has a huge potential to backfire.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of the problem I have with the trade... Diggs is IMO a 1 year rental. He has an out after this year ($0 dead cap)... so why trade at all for him? Hang on to the picks and build the team up correctly. I also think Diggs can potentially disrupt the locker room and WR group that Stroud built up... don't bring in a 'it's all about me' WR to a young group like that...

It can work out, but I think this has a huge potential to backfire.
Didn't have to give up a 1st and maybe he decides to stay?

He gives Stroud a better group of WR's and an elite #1.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a jackass. But the Bills need WR help bad. Samuel isn't a #1 WR. Will they trade up to ensure a quality WR? The draft is rich in receivers but too many team want them. They spent a lot to move up to get Sammy Watkins in 2014 and that didn't pan out

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't have to give up a 1st and maybe he decides to stay?

He gives Stroud a better group of WR's and an elite #1.

Sure on your first point...

Guess where I'm going is this is not a 'nice guy' WR like Jerry Rice or Larry Fitzgerald... this is a bit more of a known headcase that may fuck with your QB who is very early in his career.

If this was Aaron Rodgers, or even Pat Mahomes... those guys would tell Diggs and his attitude to to go F off.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills should also go after Renfrow on a 1 year make good deal. He is a good slot WR.

Neither of the guys that left were slot receivers. They need outside receivers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure on your first point...

Guess where I'm going is this is not a 'nice guy' WR like Jerry Rice or Larry Fitzgerald... this is a bit more of a known headcase that may fuck with your QB who is very early in his career.

If this was Aaron Rodgers, or even Pat Mahomes... those guys would tell Diggs and his attitude to to go F off.

Josh let his GM do it for him.

Diggs was starting to show signs of decline last year. Nothing drastic, but he wasn't getting it done and was a problem when they wouldn't force the ball to him. Now the Bills can add a WR or two via the draft and start fresh. It will be fun to see if they get aggressive and move up in the 1st.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Diggs was starting to show signs of decline last year. Nothing drastic, but he wasn't getting it done and was a problem when they wouldn't force the ball to him. Now the Bills can add a WR or two via the draft and start fresh. It will be fun to see if they get aggressive and move up in the 1st.

K shopson...

33031ca3-3721-4881-bc4d-ad0afc6efdf9_text.gif

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bills have 10 picks in the draft - no 3rd, but 2 in the 4th and 3 in the 5th and 6th.
Of course they also have the extra 2nd round 2025 pick from the trade. They'll probably try to bundle their own 2025 2nd in a trade to get another early round pick this year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills have 10 picks in the draft - no 3rd, but 2 in the 4th and 3 in the 5th and 6th.
Of course they also have the extra 2nd round 2025 pick from the trade. They'll probably try to bundle their own 2025 2nd in a trade to get another early round pick this year.

They do have other needs, but WR just bumped to the head of the line.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills were looking to off load some salary.
Mission accomplished.
Now if they unloaded him just in time. Say he still has a year left of top WRness. Then well played. Pats were good at that for a while.
Letting a player go while they are still good, but not for too long extra.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills were looking to off load some salary.
Mission accomplished.
Now if they unloaded him just in time. Say he still has a year left of top WRness. Then well played. Pats were good at that for a while.
Letting a player go while they are still good, but not for too long extra.
I'm not sure what you mean by "off load some salary".

Trading DIggs costs the Bills about $3 million more this season against the cap vs. keeping him on the team.

IOW, they could have payed him to play for the Bills all this season, and cut him at the end of the season for less than what they spent to trade him.

What they did was off load a RPIA.