• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB was bound to lose one of these games against the Giants or Bucs. The Bucs are currently a greater threat to playoff hopes than NYG, so if I had to choose to lose one of them, I would've chosen losing to @NYG. I have some level of confidence that GB will bounce back and play a decent game against Tampa and get a win.

Most of us had L's scratched on the schedule next to @DET and vKC, so even with the loss last night we're still ahead of where we thought we'd be this time last month.

This loss may be in part due to inexperience and growing pains... but on the defensive side of the ball I cannot help but think our coaching is extremely poor.

Defensive plan should have been in stopping run and rushing in your lanes to prevent QB from scrambling for big yards... we got a big F in my book in both cases.

Until the last Giants last series DeVito had 105 yards passing and 71 yards running... he was not going to beat us with his arm.

We did not even get a sack all game... to the team leading the league with 69 and 11 more than next team. We only had 2 QB hits... all because we were flying up the field and giving him big lanes to escape. Last 2 games Giants gave up 6 (Pats) and 9 (Commanders) sacks.

For me Joe Barry has to go if make or miss the playoffs.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This loss may be in part due to inexperience and growing pains... but on the defensive side of the ball I cannot help but think our coaching is extremely poor.

Defensive plan should have been in stopping run and rushing in your lanes to prevent QB from scrambling for big yards... we got a big F in my book in both cases.

Until the last Giants last series DeVito had 105 yards passing and 71 yards running... he was not going to beat us with his arm.

We did not even get a sack all game... to the team leading the league with 69 and 11 more than next team. We only had 2 QB hits... all because we were flying up the field and giving him big lanes to escape. Last 2 games Giants gave up 6 (Pats) and 9 (Commanders) sacks.

For me Joe Barry has to go if make or miss the playoffs.

Rush lane integrity was awful, time and again the inside guys go where ever the olineman wants and the outside guys rush past the QB time and again. Why are they not rushing to depth to maintain the QB in the pocket is beyond me and why the inside guys will more often that not rush to outside shoulder of guard leaving the middle wide open is flat out stupid. So was outside contain on the left side of the D...Smith usually does a good job on the right, but the left is horrible when it comes to protecting the edge in the run game. Just awful

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the stats are wrong but the Giants ran over 200 yards.

View attachment 348411
Barkley was averaging 2 yards per carry for most of the game. He had like 2 runs out of 20 that were big chunk runs and one of them ended in the fumble that gave the Packers a chance at winning the game. DeVito was your typical Barry/Capers "cover the receivers but leave the middle of the field wide open for big QB runs".

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley was averaging 2 yards per carry for most of the game. He had like 2 runs out of 20 that were big chunk runs and one of them ended in the fumble that gave the Packers a chance at winning the game. DeVito was your typical Barry/Capers "cover the receivers but leave the middle of the field wide open for big QB runs".

GB has been notoriously bad with running QBs and the middle of the field. Maybe we are missing something, but as fans we can see it, why doesn't GB? If its personnel, Why wouldn't you draft to address that issue? If they are, they haven't done a very good job at it.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB has been notoriously bad with running QBs and the middle of the field. Maybe we are missing something, but as fans we can see it, why doesn't GB? If its personnel, Why wouldn't you draft to address that issue? If they are, they haven't done a very good job at it.
It's mostly scheme - DC's fault.

With notorious running QBs, I've noticed Barry has deployed a spy a little more often recently; but there wasn't much of a book on DeVito running until Monday's game.

If Barry was smart, he would've focused harder on deploying schemes to stop the run and forced DeVito to pass the ball. But in the same breath, he's deploying inexperience (and a level of incompetence) at CB while his top guys are injured, so I see why he didn't lean into the run as heavily as he would've if GB had starting CBs covering NYG's WRs. It's better to give up a 10-yard run up the middle than a 50-yard TD pass from a blown coverage.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This D has run the same scheme over and over again. There is now 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter and it's been getting smoked the entire game. You would think at some point you'd try to give Mayfield some different looks and try to confuse him, because up to this point he's carving it up and looking like Dan Marino in how he's carving this nonsense up. Definition of insanity is his idiocy.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing about the Packers pass game I really don't understand is why is the outlet constantly 3 yards deep and at the sidelines. They never have any room to operate and constantly just head out of bounds. Tampa's LBs are very well schooled and get there in a hurry, but why give them an extra defender of the sideline?

Whatever, this team is in no way shape or form a playoff team, that gave us a glimpse of what they could be for a few weeks, but this is what they are.

I'll say it again, Barry has to go. Just like Capers over stayed his tenure, he can't do the same. Too predictable and too easy for teams to carve up because of his predictability.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly had to worry about the run defense. Not any more. The pass defense is just as bad. Hopefully GB gets in the top 10 of the draft. If Barry isn’t fired after the season don’t expect any improvement.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB bamboozled a lot of people when they beat Detroit and KC. They almost had me but I know better and now it’s back to business as usual with this organization.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this season started I stated that I had no idea what to expect from this team. I know for sure now what to expect. If the D can't get pressure with 4 and the QB has a pulse, Barry's scheme and calls will make them appear to be all pro.

He has to go....without fail he has to be gone after this season...and I really don't care how good it looks from here on out.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this season started I stated that I had no idea what to expect from this team. I know for sure now what to expect. If the D can't get pressure with 4 and the QB has a pulse, Barry's scheme and calls will make them appear to be all pro.

He has to go....without fail he has to be gone after this season...and I really don't care how good it looks from here on out.
I've always been in favor of aggressive defenses. If you're playing someone like DeVito (inexperienced) or Mayfield (mistake-prone), the defense should be deploying pressure schemes from all angles to force the opposing QB into mistakes. Instead, we get a vanilla defense that even DeVito and Mayfield exploit with ease.

QBs GB lost to this year:
Ridder
Goff
Garoppolo
R. Wilson
Cousins
Pickett
DeVito
Mayfield

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been in favor of aggressive defenses. If you're playing someone like DeVito (inexperienced) or Mayfield (mistake-prone), the defense should be deploying pressure schemes from all angles to force the opposing QB into mistakes. Instead, we get a vanilla defense that even DeVito and Mayfield exploit with ease.

QBs GB lost to this year:
Ridder - Atlanta fans hate this dude...decent between 20's, then forget it
Goff - A statue that will kill you if not pressured, an actual pro QB
Garoppolo - Future in pron is probably most likely route...or McDonalds
R. Wilson - Ohhh and actual pro QB
Cousins - Another pro QB
Pickett - Young and mistake prone so far...
DeVito - Cult hero that might become an actual backup QB...good job
Mayfield - Mistake prone if given time...and Barry used a calendar

That's neat...so he got outsmarted by some true future HOFers for McDonalds...great...I edited your post to give my thoughts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched on my NFL Gamepass later after game finished (without knowing result) due to family birthday. Fortunately could fastforward through commercials halftime etc... so did not waste full 3 hours watching that defensive effort.

Obvious change is needed at DC when Mayfield has a perfect passer rating of 158 vs your team. Unsure how often Godwin has to burn you before you make an adjustment to challenge those plays.. never happened.

Writing is on the wall for Barry, I am 100% certain he is gone at the end of the season even if Packers somehow back into playoffs. The MLF press conference after the game was high percentage of questions asking indirectly if the DC is part of the issue.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on ESPN that LaFleur is sticking with Barry at least thru the end of the season. I can live with that, but after that he better be gone. They're back to talking about communication and executing the calls, same nonsense, you either do it or you don't. So now LaFleur is going to spend more time with the defense this week.

Something Bart Starr said a while ago about his tenure as coach rings true to me. He stated that he trusted his friends and coaches to be putting in the work to get the job done, and the fact of the matter is they weren't. Now, I'm not saying Starr was a good coach, but just that workplace trust and friendship can't really be trusted and you're better off not to work with friends. Something successful people live by is "expect what you inspect", so if you're not willing to inspect the work, don't expect it to be done right. When subordinates know you're going to or are at least willing to inspect the work, they're way more likely to do it right and put in the work. Reality at that time was the Packers were an awful organization running things like it was the early 60's and the game passed the entire organization by.

Also, Demovsky is an idiot for bringing up the playoffs in that article...that needs the Jim Mora sound bite.

edit...and how about LaFleur being proactive instead of reactive...that'd be nice since he saw what Devito did...that should've been enough of a warning.

Last edited:

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how GB makes average players from other teams look all world. I just don’t get it. How do you keep a really good QB like MaHomes in check for the majority of a game but are clueless against Mayfield who’s been on 4 different teams? Might as well add Devito in there to. IMO, that is a sign of a defense that has zero discipline. There is no one running that ship with an iron fist. The focus on this team is nonexistent.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention playoff possibilities. If you can’t get up for a game, at home, with playoff implications, then you have zero business even sniffing post season.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention playoff possibilities. If you can’t get up for a game, at home, with playoff implications, then you have zero business even sniffing post season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seven teams now make the playoffs and other than top 3-4 teams in NFC, there really is a lot of mediocre teams. Therefore Packers are still "sniffing" the post season.

If they were in AFC they would not be mathematically eliminated at 6-8, but their chances would be miniscule at this point.