• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL Draft: Quarterback Class

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already know we are going to fuck up and draft Richardson, I prefer Levis myself but I'm afraid Steichen is going to look at him and remember how athletic Jalen is and think he can recreate that magic.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Simms rankings is definitely different than the consensus.

Tier 1: CJ Stroud
Tier 2: Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker
Tier 3: Anthony Richardson
Tier 4: DTR, Will Levis

I think my main issue is with Hooker coming out of that Tennessee system and his age really doesn't give the whole developmental angle any room in this discussion. I dont have an issue with saying that Hooker is on that level right now but he also might not get any better than his current placement while Levis has 2 years, these other guys have 3+ years to catch up and pass him.

In terms of evaluating prospects, Levis is also a bigger dude than DTR. If you're doing west coast, DTR and Levis might be on the same tier. Levis has a bigger arm, bigger hand size with more touch on deep balls. Levis, the best I can tell, reads defenses relatively well pre-snap but doesn't read defenses at all post snap and trusts his arm to force the ball into bad situations. To me, that sounds fixable.

Levis is an enigma, though. A bit like Jordan Love right now imo. I see the prototypical stuff you'd want but Im not sure they can play QB at the NFL level.
People argued the same thing with Mahomes in 2017. He went to Texas Tech.

As for Simms, I think it is wonderful he thinks there are six quarterbacks with star-making potential rather than five. His #1 and #2 are pretty uncontroversial. The big department is him putting Hooker over before Richardson AND Levis, and including DTR in the mix.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes had won an mvp by the time he was Hookers age.
That's avoiding my comment. I read over what the media was saying about Mahomes. They went after his accuracy and mechanical issues, and question the style of offense.

Not really sure why age really matters. You can probably get at least 13 seasons out of Hooker.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is your DTR highlights:

He's 6'1, 204 pounds. Turns 24 in November. 48 career starts. Had his best season last year: 39 tds, 10 ints, 70% completion%, 8.3 yards per attempt, and 3154 passing yards. Went 9-4 as a starter.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is your DTR highlights:

He's 6'1, 204 pounds. Turns 24 in November. 48 career starts. Had his best season last year: 39 tds, 10 ints, 70% completion%, 8.3 yards per attempt, and 3154 passing yards. Went 9-4 as a starter.
I like him because he came into the program highly touted after the Chip Kelly hire and he was anointed immediately. He had mixed results and then got hurt but he battled through and persevered. I think he has the make up to be a professional back up who works to improve. I think he’s also system dependent. That’s why I don’t think the Eagles have to use the pick on him. I think Simms is a hot take guy. I think he’s half talking out his ass and elevating a name no one else is while liking the prospect relative to others like I do. Hope he is a post draft signee from the Eagles.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's avoiding my comment. I read over what the media was saying about Mahomes. They went after his accuracy and mechanical issues, and question the style of offense.

Not really sure why age really matters. You can probably get at least 13 seasons out of Hooker.
It's easier to play against younger kids. That won't be the case in the league.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Age is usually an important factor when it comes to college players.

But since we're talking about Mahomes, his NFL.com comparison was actually to Jay Cutler. Funny enough, Levis' NFL.com comparison is also Jay Cutler. I'm not saying Levis is Mahomes. Levis' doesn't really have any improv to his game and he tries way harder to put touch on his deep throws so mechanically they are way different. Its just that you can move the 'they knocked Mahomes for it, too' narrative to a lot of QBs.

Hooker is also playing with two draftable NFL Wide Receivers. I don't want to throw all three Tennessee prospects under the bus just because of the system. But I also am not putting Chris Simms' opinion above other analysts after his opinions on guys like Mond and Wilson.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, things like a combine should never come close to telling the whole story, but damn if Richardson didn't flat out kill it there. His athleticism is literally off the charts. This doesn't mean he'll be a great QB at the NFL level, and I can see whichever team drafts him would have a plan in mind having him sit for at least a year if not two. All I know is if there's a team in the hunt to drafting a QB, yet also patient in the big picture, I imagine they'd be tempted AF to take him.
I agree. Combine aside, i still like richardson better, thats just me though.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference here is that Josh Allen was 2 years younger than Levis coming out so it kinda made sense he was raw.

The first 5 picks are likely 3 QBs and Anderson and Carter. Maybe 4 QBs and Anderson but...not so sure about that. Texans will take a QB. Colts will take a QB. Seattle and Carolina have ammo to get a QB although Arizona probably wont trade with Seattle. To me, it seems like Seattle likely ends up with Carter.
That would be a huge upgrade at NT for us, so I would be cool with that …

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This QB class is terrible. Hooker is the best of the 5 IMO. Young is too small, Stroud can't handle pressure. Richardson is hot garbage, if he does go round one he's a sure thing bust.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age is usually an important factor when it comes to college players.

But since we're talking about Mahomes, his NFL.com comparison was actually to Jay Cutler. Funny enough, Levis' NFL.com comparison is also Jay Cutler. I'm not saying Levis is Mahomes. Levis' doesn't really have any improv to his game and he tries way harder to put touch on his deep throws so mechanically they are way different. Its just that you can move the 'they knocked Mahomes for it, too' narrative to a lot of QBs.

Hooker is also playing with two draftable NFL Wide Receivers. I don't want to throw all three Tennessee prospects under the bus just because of the system. But I also am not putting Chris Simms' opinion above other analysts after his opinions on guys like Mond and Wilson.

I think Young comes closest to Mahomes' improv style in this draft.

As far as age goes, older prospects arguably have less upside left. Graduating QBs are downgraded, but plus aged QBs are downgraded even more. It's not about years left to contribute.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This QB class is terrible. Hooker is the best of the 5 IMO. Young is too small, Stroud can't handle pressure. Richardson is hot garbage, if he does go round one he's a sure thing bust.
I don’t think it’s terrible at all. Stroud’s best work in college came in that game vs Georgia. That defense is great and you don’t get much more pressure than a college football playoff game. It’s pretty clear that your Michigan fandom directs the opinion on Stroud so why wouldn’t Max Dugan be your top QB after he and TCU gang raped the Wolverine defense? Weird.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Young comes closest to Mahomes' improv style in this draft.

As far as age goes, older prospects arguably have less upside left. Graduating QBs are downgraded, but plus aged QBs are downgraded even more. It's not about years left to contribute.
People are going to be fucking up for years trying to find a prospect who replicated the improvisational skills of Mahomes. He is once in a lifetime in that regard.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Simms rankings is definitely different than the consensus.

Tier 1: CJ Stroud
Tier 2: Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker
Tier 3: Anthony Richardson
Tier 4: DTR, Will Levis

I think my main issue is with Hooker coming out of that Tennessee system and his age really doesn't give the whole developmental angle any room in this discussion. I dont have an issue with saying that Hooker is on that level right now but he also might not get any better than his current placement while Levis has 2 years, these other guys have 3+ years to catch up and pass him.

In terms of evaluating prospects, Levis is also a bigger dude than DTR. If you're doing west coast, DTR and Levis might be on the same tier. Levis has a bigger arm, bigger hand size with more touch on deep balls. Levis, the best I can tell, reads defenses relatively well pre-snap but doesn't read defenses at all post snap and trusts his arm to force the ball into bad situations. To me, that sounds fixable.

Levis is an enigma, though. A bit like Jordan Love right now imo. I see the prototypical stuff you'd want but Im not sure they can play QB at the NFL level.
Tbh, I think the age thing is overblown for a QB. I will agree Hooker may not have the ceiling as other guys in this draft but at 25 there's nothing stopping him from making improvements in his own game.