• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m really liking the Cavs rebuild. It seems like things are all blooming at the same time for them. Here’s my ranking of impact:
1. Finding Mobley - he looks like a generational talent
2. Garland growth
3. Jarrett Allen looking like a solid above average center
4. Markkinen acquisition
5. Love finding a role

They still have the chance for other things to come their way:
1. Sign and trade piece with Sexton
2. Growth of Okoro - still think he has more growth coming
3. As you noted, K Love eventually clearing cap space when he comes off the books.

Cavs have a nice future. Despite having Joel Embiid, I’d trade the Sixers situation right now for the Cavs and ride that for the next 5 years.

Yup. They have done well.

Mobley was a good choice, especially for them. You knew they couldn’t take Suggs there.

I am surprised how well mark has worked out since he did nothing for Chicago

I was higher on garland than sexton.

I still would move mark and sexton in a deal for Simmons.

I always liked Allen. But even I didn’t see him getting this good this fast.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's like that with me and others, too. as you said he did admit being wrong about a lot.....just no reason to then try and throw shade on the Cavs again.

Still no idea what the plan is for Sexton. Has been talk he might be able to come back and play in the playoffs assuming we get there (yes, seems like a lock....barring another major injury). I hear some critics say don;t do it but that's nuts to me. JB had a role for him before he was hurt and we were winning. Other guys have improved since then and we could sure use another scorer and guy who can handle the ball with Rubio out.

My guess is he's here next season but wouldn't be surprised if he was moved in a sign and trade......and seeing him play would sure help his value if the latter.

To me, those who thought we were paying Allen too much just hadn't been considering where FA had gone the last few years. Guys like Bertans can get $15-16 mil so $20 mil seemed more than reasonable for Allen. That said, I didn't think he'd play at an all star level this season.

so many shared your opinion on Love and I was close....just figured no harm in seeing how he fit in with the new guys before just giving him away and paying him to help a contender.
I’m gonna defer to you because you know your team better than I do. But from afar, the reason I’ve speculated about a Sexton move is that he may be redundant to Garland. They seem to have similar game with Garland in my mind being a tick better because of the impact his speed has as well as his ability to get guys shots. If you think Sexton can play more off ball and become a guy who can run through screens and play iso ball when called upon, maybe it does work.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean Garland has surprised a lot this year so most Cavs fans are surprised by his big jump. Right now with how young this core is it is hard to say, “highly unlikely” could be said for 90-95% of the league. The thing is they have their young core, possibly two stars and once Love is off the books in two years they should have flexiblity possibly with Love off the books. Plus some valuable 2nd’s which coupd be useful to acquire role players for future years and rentals. They are in a good place, better than most with how young their team is imo

I still doubt sexton and garland in the playoffs the same way I’ll doubt cj and dame in the playoffs (defensively)

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m gonna defer to you because you know your team better than I do. But from afar, the reason I’ve speculated about a Sexton move is that he may be redundant to Garland. They seem to have similar game with Garland in my mind being a tick better because of the impact his speed has as well as his ability to get guys shots. If you think Sexton can play more off ball and become a guy who can run through screens and play iso ball when called upon, maybe it does work.

Yeah, it could. But it’s undersized. Can it work defensively?

Or maybe it doesn’t matter when you have Allen and Mobley patrolling the lane. Idk

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it could. But it’s undersized. Can it work defensively?

Or maybe it doesn’t matter when you have Allen and Mobley patrolling the lane. Idk
That’s the thing that Mobley and Allen can afford you. Mobley is a unicorn in his ability to matchup 1-5 and Allen is nice rim protection behind it. You can survive guys behind it being less than ideal matchups. The midrange game could thwart that kind of defense but who in the NBA right now commits to that kind of attack?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the thing that Mobley and Allen can afford you. Mobley is a unicorn in his ability to matchup 1-5 and Allen is nice rim protection behind it. You can survive guys behind it being less than ideal matchups. The midrange game could thwart that kind of defense but who in the NBA right now commits to that kind of attack?

That can work for a game.

Can you do it to win a whole series? That’s much harder

I like their setup

Im an okoro fan, but the Cavs are banking on him shooting when making a deal with him mark and sexton for Ben gives you just absurd defense and playmaking and then you can afford your own curry/hield type shooter

But they have options.

If okoro shoots he can be the best player from his draft.

But he’s also starting from behind because of how good ball it. But he can easily be worth his pick with some shooting touch

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure they are in a very good place. And far ahead of where anyone reasonably expected they would be.

My point is that I would still bet against any young core in a non-destination market to win a title, because it is really hard to do that.

And Wiggy is so pathetic.

Dude literally bookmarks my posts so he can come back years later when I do get something wrong.

Pretty funny.
as I say- time will vindicate- and the great majority of the time- it does.

trade a 20 year old Garland for a 5% chance at a star.....just wow.

How ya feeling about Wiseman's trade value these days slick?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were just very wrong. Own it. No reason to try and throw shade on the Cavs again, as it didn't work so well last time for ya.

Some just never learn.
this is the same clown that thinks the Knicks have a better shot. lol. good luck.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean Garland has surprised a lot this year so most Cavs fans are surprised by his big jump. Right now with how young this core is it is hard to say, “highly unlikely” could be said for 90-95% of the league. The thing is they have their young core, possibly two stars and once Love is off the books in two years they should have flexiblity possibly with Love off the books. Plus some valuable 2nd’s which coupd be useful to acquire role players for future years and rentals. They are in a good place, better than most with how young their team is imo
This is all correct. Cavs are in a pretty good place now, and you're right to be excited. But, still, it's Cleveland so you aren't going to win another title.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I need more context

It makes no sense for the Cavs to trade for wiseman once they got Allen

And it made no sense for either the wolves or dubs to have traded their pick for garland as they both have pgs and would need a guard with size if they we’re gonna trade their pick

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would I care about Wiseman’s trade value?

If he never plays another game in the NBA, you were still wrong about his trade value at the time you made the comments.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's more explosive.

It's like comparing the styles of prime Westbrook to CP3....imo.

...or maybe Donovan Mitchell/ CP3.

Ja is a bucket who can facilitate.

Darius is a facilitator who can get buckets.

Most folks would obviously take JA because of the wow factor.

But, both guys fit their teams perfectly.
I struggled for a good Garland comp for a while.

Right now I think the closest I have come up with is kind of a rich man's Conley. He is not the pure scorer of a Lillard. He is not the type of athlete with the type of skillset Kyrie is (then again- no one has a skill set maybe in NBA history like Kyrie). He is not just a pure offensive machine like Young.

Its hard to come up with a good Garland comp- as i said- best I landed on was kind of Mike Conley with a higher ceiling.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need more context

And it made no sense for either the wolves or dubs to have traded their pick for garland as they both have pgs and would need a guard with size if they we’re gonna trade their pick
over the summer tlance said Wiseman had more trade value than Garland. That if the Wiz were to trade Beal hed rather get Wiseman as a center piece. I think Wiseman has cratered his value and will more than likely be a bust. He might end up being a serviceable NBA player- but never come close to living up to what some people thought he could be.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need more context

All these posts that he is talking about are from before they drafted Mobley and maybe even before they traded for Allen.

And even then, what @WiggyRuss isnt going to post is the rest of what I said.

That the Cleveland wasn’t getting to contender level with Garland and Sexton UNLESS they drafted a superstar.

Well, guess what they might have done?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over the summer tlance said Wiseman had more trade value than Garland. That if the Wiz were to trade Beal hed rather get Wiseman as a center piece. I think Wiseman has cratered his value and will more than likely be a bust. He might end up being a serviceable NBA player- but never come close to living up to what some people thought he could be.

I wanted Wiseman and Kuminga.

Again, only telling part truths to make your side look good.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean having multiple knees surgeries when he has zero history of them (he’s not Greg oden), that’s just bad luck.

I think wiseman absolutely had more trade value this summer. Even the Cavs didn’t see sexton as a franchise cornerstone or they would’ve paid him the 100m he asked for.

But yeah wiseman needing another surgery definitely has crippled his value for now.

Fwiw I wasn’t wiseman’s biggest fan, but I get why teams would go for him

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Own it (as you did) but no need to throw shade at the Cavs with a "but they wont win a title". I wouldn't bet on it this season and, yes, before this season thought I'd never see one again. Still wont be easy as it's not for anyone in a market like ours as you said but that's because they cannot lure a FA from somewhere else. Possible we wont need to.
There's no NEED to throw shade at the Cavs but it sure is easy and fun. It's good you don't need to lure an FA because you won't.

I do admit my prediction here is less sure than it was. Fun team on the rise.

But my ace in the hole is...forget it Jake, it's Clevelandtown