• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Rollins still in camp? You gotta figure he is trying out for a coaching gig at this point.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haven't seen much of hill, but i'll really miss kelby's bat control and base speed if he doesn't make the line-up. i'd expect to be up at some time in the year with the inevitable injuries
The disparity in numbers between Tomlinson and Hill have widened. As of today, here's the comparison:

Tomlinson - .282/.356/.410
Hill - .225/.295/.325

I have to think that if the gap continues to widen, Tomlinson has to force the issue with the front office.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hernandez' release, here's an updated roster for spring. However, I forgot to put Matt Reynolds in this group:
Pitchers (19)
Ty Blach
Madison Bumgarner
Matt Cain
Johnny Cueto
Jose Dominguez (nri)
Cory Gearrin
Roberto Gomez (nri)
George Kontos
Derek Law
Mark Melancon
Matt Moore
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Neil Ramirez (nri)
Matt Reynolds (nri)
Michael Roth (nri)
Jeff Samardzija
Hunter Strickland
Albert Suarez

Catchers (4)
Trevor Brown
Tim Federowicz (nri)
Nick Hundley
Buster Posey

Infielders (10)
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Conor Gillaspie
Aaron Hill (nri)
Jae-gyun Hwang (nri)
Chris Marrero (nri)
Eduardo Nunez
Joe Panik
Jimmy Rollins (nri)
Kelby Tomlinson

Outfielders (7)
Gorkys Hernandez
Michael Morse (nri)
Jarrett Parker
Hunter Pence
Justin Ruggiano (nri)
Denard Span
Mac Williamson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disparity in numbers between Tomlinson and Hill have widened. As of today, here's the comparison:

Tomlinson - .282/.356/.410
Hill - .225/.295/.325

I have to think that if the gap continues to widen, Tomlinson has to force the issue with the front office.

position depth will play into it as well.... tomlinson is primary a 2nd bagger with some utility at ss. i don't know if he's considered a viable 3rd baseman. a lot will depend on how 3rd base plays out imo

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
position depth will play into it as well.... tomlinson is primary a 2nd bagger with some utility at ss. i don't know if he's considered a viable 3rd baseman. a lot will depend on how 3rd base plays out imo
And they abandoned his OF experiment very fast, so we can only assume he was, um, less than adiquate out there...

However, if he clearly outplayes Hill, and the org still bypasses him, what kind of message does that send the rest of the kids in the minors?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they abandoned his OF experiment very fast, so we can only assume he was, um, less than adiquate out there...

However, if he clearly outplayes Hill, and the org still bypasses him, what kind of message does that send the rest of the kids in the minors?

Come back when you're 34

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come back when you're 34

I fell down on the floor laughing :pound:But then I sighed :sigh: an then I cried :Cry: because it's partially True.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morse has decided to go to AAA and rehab.

Which also mean the Giants will probably grant him a roster spot when he's healthy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, Kelby has been playing LF this Spring. Mostly in minor league camp I believe.

The impression I'm getting is it seems to be down to Hwang vs. Marrero and Kelby vs. Hill.

Then in the Pen seems like it's Blach vs. Osich and Gearrin vs. Ramirez.

Cain, Gorkys and Parker seem to be locked in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if kt was viable at 3rd it wouldn't be an issue imo. i think the organization needs to hedge their bets with maximum versatility in the event of injury or slumps. kt can be brought up, he'll still be in the minors (and getting playing time, hopefully to work on ss and 3rd skills). as i understand hill either make the team or is potentially gone. life in the big leagues

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Kelby has been playing LF this Spring. Mostly in minor league camp I believe.

The impression I'm getting is it seems to be down to Hwang vs. Marrero and Kelby vs. Hill.

Then in the Pen seems like it's Blach vs. Osich and Gearrin vs. Ramirez.

Cain, Gorkys and Parker seem to be locked in.

as much as i appreciate what cain has brought to the organization (and i was in the stands for his perfecto), i just cannot see anything he's done in the last few year through spring training this year to justify a lock. at best you'll get maybe 5 innings out of him and likely turn the game over to the bully hoping for a come-from-behinder.

it'll be tough to win the west with the cain we are seeing. better hope for a very consistent samardzija

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as i appreciate what cain has brought to the organization (and i was in the stands for his perfecto), i just cannot see anything he's done in the last few year through spring training this year to justify a lock. at best you'll get maybe 5 innings out of him and likely turn the game over to the bully hoping for a come-from-behinder.

it'll be tough to win the west with the cain we are seeing. better hope for a very consistent samardzija

The seat is just being warmed for Beede.

No one else has really been stretched out as a starter though. Blach is close with his IP (5th on the team so far in ST), but he's only gone 3 innings max and that was 1 time.

Cain only needs to start 2-3 games in April, they can skip him twice I believe. I think they will reevaluate from there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The seat is just being warmed for Beede.

No one else has really been stretched out as a starter though. Blach is close with his IP (5th on the team so far in ST), but he's only gone 3 innings max and that was 1 time.

Cain only needs to start 2-3 games in April, they can skip him twice I believe. I think they will reevaluate from there.

makes sense... i assume cain will be on a short leash when he starts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if kt was viable at 3rd it wouldn't be an issue imo. i think the organization needs to hedge their bets with maximum versatility in the event of injury or slumps. kt can be brought up, he'll still be in the minors (and getting playing time, hopefully to work on ss and 3rd skills). as i understand hill either make the team or is potentially gone. life in the big leagues
Why is it a big deal that either Hill or Tomlinson play 3rd base? Isn't that why Gillaspie is around, as a backup to 3rd base and as a pinch hitter? The real need is the middle infield and that is where Tomlinson has played practically his whole career.

I understand the Giants value versatility but if they go with 5 outfielders and 6 infielders, there is no need to have a guy that can play everywhere. Teams haven't carried those kind of guys for ages and have done just fine. If the Giants go with a bench of Hundley (c), Gillaspie (3rd), Tomlinson (2nd-ss), Marrero (1st-lf) and Hernandez (lf-cf-rf) they have every spot on the field covered.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, the Giants just won a game in the bottom of the 9th! Hope lives!

With today's 8-7 win over the Padres, here's the ongoing comparison between Tomlinson and Hill:

Tomlinson (0-1, pinch hit for Crawford and took over shortstop) .275/.348/.400
Hill (0-3) .209/.277/.302

But Hill started at 3rd base tonight, a position that no one else (not named Nunez, Gillaspie or Hwang) plays.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a big deal that either Hill or Tomlinson play 3rd base? Isn't that why Gillaspie is around, as a backup to 3rd base and as a pinch hitter? The real need is the middle infield and that is where Tomlinson has played practically his whole career.

I understand the Giants value versatility but if they go with 5 outfielders and 6 infielders, there is no need to have a guy that can play everywhere. Teams haven't carried those kind of guys for ages and have done just fine. If the Giants go with a bench of Hundley (c), Gillaspie (3rd), Tomlinson (2nd-ss), Marrero (1st-lf) and Hernandez (lf-cf-rf) they have every spot on the field covered.

i may be wrong but i seem to recall they only carried 5 infielders for a good part of the season both in '15 and '16. just working off memory and tbh i don't follow day to day moves much during the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was expected thet they would be going with a 12-man staff this year due to the strength of the rotation. But with Smith missing the season, they may need the extra arm in the bully now.

This bully is just not filling me with confidence this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i may be wrong but i seem to recall they only carried 5 infielders for a good part of the season both in '15 and '16. just working off memory and tbh i don't follow day to day moves much during the season.
The talk has been going with a 5 man bench - catcher, 2 infielders, 2 outfielders. However, if cal's hunch is correct, that could be changing with the loss of Will Smith.