• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since spring training started last week (or was it late the week before? I've already forgotten and am too lazy to look it up), I thought we should start a new thread to talk about what is going on in camp. Below are the quotes from the last few posts in the news & transactions thread, in case you all want to continue the conversation here.
So, Herk is hurt. This is ominous. My guess: we don't get more than 80 games out of him this year. Mac, Parker, Slater, Duggar....get ready.

I seldom wish I were wrong, but Herk is one of those situations...

Yeah you were spot on, if not a year optimistic.

Fortunately he swung the bat today and was by all accounts feeling great and yada yada.... but yeah given his history this is not a great start.

Wouldn't be surprised if games missed in the entire OF combines to more than 100.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article on MLB Rumors but given that the writer states that Williamson and Parker will be platooning to start the year, I think that the writer isn't very on top of camp news. However, the article the writer links to (direct link here) is an interesting read. Seems the Giants would rather carry 4 outfielders but Pence and Span may force their hand to 5, or give Tomlinson the upper hand to make the team.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've heard little to none about Ruggiano so far. I thought he was the best option personally to be the 5th OFer because he can play CF, bats opposite of Span/Parker. But it sounds like Morse has the inside track even though he is likely useless on defense.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've heard little to none about Ruggiano so far. I thought he was the best option personally to be the 5th OFer because he can play CF, bats opposite of Span/Parker. But it sounds like Morse has the inside track even though he is likely useless on defense.
Really don't understand the desire to make a roster spot for him. He got all of 8 at-bats last year and no one took a flyer on him the rest of the season. He is very limited defensively and, with the need for flexibility for some aging regulars, Morse doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it doesn't make sense to keep Morse. I think he is in camp as a body/coach-in-training (kinda like Rollins).

Granted, there has been a lot of buzz that he has a legit shot, but I just don't see it. Maybe it is the Giants just doing him a solid so he can maybe latch on elsewhere if he has a decent spring?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. The Giants have a LOT of dudes in as coaches as well.

Vince Coleman is in camp as a base running coach. While it is nice to see them reaching outside the irg for specific skills, I am not sure Coleman would have a lot to share. Granted, he is probably the second best base stealer in the history of the game, dude was an absolute speed demon. Did he get his steals through a technique that would help a more average runner?

Ricky got a lot of his on technique, but I always thought Coleman got his on pure speed (think Billy Hamilton)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. The Giants have a LOT of dudes in as coaches as well.

Vince Coleman is in camp as a base running coach. While it is nice to see them reaching outside the irg for specific skills, I am not sure Coleman would have a lot to share. Granted, he is probably the second best base stealer in the history of the game, dude was an absolute speed demon. Did he get his steals through a technique that would help a more average runner?

Ricky got a lot of his on technique, but I always thought Coleman got his on pure speed (think Billy Hamilton)
Does this mean that the team will get the green light more often? Or is this just a nice "hey, let's hear some interesting thoughts on a topic that will have no bearing on how we play the season"?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean that the team will get the green light more often? Or is this just a nice "hey, let's hear some interesting thoughts on a topic that will have no bearing on how we play the season"?
The team only has 2 speedsters (Nunez, Tomlinson), so I don't anticipate a huge change in how they play. Although, I wouldn't classify this team as "slow", either, so maybe there is potential for improvement in the swipes category.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's going to be a roving minor league instructor. Don't expect much to change in the bigs. He'll work with guys like Duggar, Bryan Reynolds, Sandro Fabian, Ronnie Jebavy, even pure speed guys like Joneshwy Fargas, or Kelby, get better technique.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be a roving minor league instructor. Don't expect much to change in the bigs. He'll work with guys like Duggar, Bryan Reynolds, Sandro Fabian, Ronnie Jebavy, even pure speed guys like Joneshwy Fargas, or Kelby, get better technique.
So he is a full-fledged coach in the system this year? I am glad to hear that. Although, it is an odd add. What possible link does he have to the org?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he is a full-fledged coach in the system this year? I am glad to hear that. Although, it is an odd add. What possible link does he have to the org?
The org probably "kicked the tires" on the idea of signing him somewhere between 1994 and 1997 and built a relationship with him. That's my wild guess.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard that. I have heard a couple of people, including Baggs, say that Ruggiano has the inside track.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard that. I have heard a couple of people, including Baggs, say that Ruggiano has the inside track.
Is Ruggiano in direct competition with Gorkys? I am not that familiar with Ruggiano, but I know I like Gorkys.

With the latest rumors about Pence and Span already showing signs of injury, does that mean Mac has a better chance, or does that open the door for Morse?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ruggiano in direct competition with Gorkys? I am not that familiar with Ruggiano, but I know I like Gorkys.

With the latest rumors about Pence and Span already showing signs of injury, does that mean Mac has a better chance, or does that open the door for Morse?

I think we're at the point of ST where all is possible. Further, injuries are going to sort a lot of this out.

That all said, if the season were to begin today, I'd bet:
1. Morse retires
2. Ruggiano and Gorkys make the team
3. Mac goes to Sac
4. JPark gets traded

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're at the point of ST where all is possible. Further, injuries are going to sort a lot of this out.

That all said, if the season were to begin today, I'd bet:
1. Morse retires
2. Ruggiano and Gorkys make the team
3. Mac goes to Sac
4. JPark gets traded
When was the last ST trade the Giants took part in? I can't remember one.

But I don't see Parker getting traded AND Mac going to Sacto. One of the two will almost certainly happen, but not both.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have Huddy in camp as well. I know he retired on really good terms, but I did not think he was going to be joining our alumni ranks.

That really is one of the non-laundry reasons I love this team. One of the best alumni systems in the game, right up there with the Spanks and Cards.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last ST trade the Giants took part in? I can't remember one.

But I don't see Parker getting traded AND Mac going to Sacto. One of the two will almost certainly happen, but not both.

You're right, JPark may just get cut. Either way, I don't think he makes the team. Mac has options so he's going to AAA.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, JPark may just get cut. Either way, I don't think he makes the team. Mac has options so he's going to AAA.

No love for Parker? I don't think they want to lose a talent like his. Sure he has his flaws but they haven't given him enough time to cut bait yet.

I can also see all 3 fitting in.