• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
belt will look pretty bad in the 2 hole when he goes on one of his prolonged slumps. posey couldn't reach or layoff low and outside the last 1/2 of 16. hopefully he fixes that or well see a lot of opposite field pushes at cleanup

I've always thought Posey and Belt should hit 2/3 respectively. And even through Belt's terrible slumps, he's still getting on base. I'm fine with him hitting 2nd.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what happened to panik? contact hitter, works the count, imo the perfect 2 batter

I definitely think Panik is going to have a bounce back year (his BABIP was just so bad - extreme bad luck), but we'll see. Belt needs to be hitting higher in the lineup though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto seems ready.

Tonight- 5 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Gearrin 1 inning and 1 K

Blach 1 inning and 1 K

Greek 1 inning and 3 K (filthy!)

By the way, Kontos has struck out the last 7 batters he's faced.

Marrero has also had a good game. Missed a homerun by a couple feet foul (his power will play in AT&T), made a nice catch in LF. He's making the roster.

C8N2KMKVwAEM6Fs.jpg:large

Reactions: LHG

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Kontos has struck out the last 7 batters he's faced.

Marrero has also had a good game. Missed a homerun by a couple feet foul (his power will play in AT&T), made a nice catch in LF. He's making the roster.

C8N2KMKVwAEM6Fs.jpg:large

I was right behind this play. He got a TERRRRRRRIBLE jump on the ball. The very next play (Davis' double off the wall) he overthrew the cutoff and almost cost a run. He...is...not...a...good...defender.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was right behind this play. He got a TERRRRRRRIBLE jump on the ball. The very next play (Davis' double off the wall) he overthrew the cutoff and almost cost a run. He...is...not...a...good...defender.

Interesting. Not that I don't trust your opinion, but it doesn't look that bad to me from this look. Tough to say though.

Marrero's nice grab

I did not see the next play.

Bochy after the game said Parker is going to platoon with a right-handed bat.... basically just confirmed that Marrero made the squad.

We don't need him to be Starling Marte out there, and he'll be on the short end of a platoon.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Not that I don't trust your opinion, but it doesn't look that bad to me from this look. Tough to say though.

Marrero's nice grab

I did not see the next play.

Bochy after the game said Parker is going to platoon with a right-handed bat.... basically just confirmed that Marrero made the squad.

We don't need him to be Starling Marte out there, and he'll be on the short end of a platoon.

And for the last five years of his career, Bonds had the range and speed of a statue in LF. He was not there for his defense. Marrero is no Bonds, not by a very long shot. But he will not be out there for his defense, either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the last five years of his career, Bonds had the range and speed of a statue in LF. He was not there for his defense. Marrero is no Bonds, not by a very long shot. But he will not be out there for his defense, either.
Wait...

Are you comparing Marrero to the last 5 years of GOAT's career?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith had his surgery yesterday. He isn't expected back in May 2018.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last day of Spring Training. Tyler Beede is starting for the Giants, good chance to get a look at him!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last day of Spring Training. Tyler Beede is starting for the Giants, good chance to get a look at him!
He has looked awesome this spring. Very encouraging for next year. Nice replacement for Cueto.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has looked awesome this spring. Very encouraging for next year. Nice replacement for Cueto.

I think there is a good chance he is starting games by the summer, tbh. If Cain isn't getting it done, and Blach fits nicely into the bullpen, he might be the 6th starter right now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a good chance he is starting games by the summer, tbh. If Cain isn't getting it done, and Blach fits nicely into the bullpen, he might be the 6th starter right now.
You are probably right. Especially with the need of a lefty in the pen right now.

Too bad for Blach. He really showed something last year in the rotation, and now he is getting squeezed by the deepest rotation (top 5 slots, at least) in the bigs. HUGE money difference between a lefty reliever and a #3/#4 starter.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Braves started rebuilding too late. The stated goal was to have the team ready to contend by this season's opening of the new Cobb County digs.
At the very least this season will be another rebuilding year. My guess is we won't sniff a playoff spot till 2019.
There is talent at varies stages of development but at the ML level it's still spotty.

My prediction..72-90 and 4th place in The division.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right. Especially with the need of a lefty in the pen right now.

Too bad for Blach. He really showed something last year in the rotation, and now he is getting squeezed by the deepest rotation (top 5 slots, at least) in the bigs. HUGE money difference between a lefty reliever and a #3/#4 starter.

Yes, especially in the early years. But he doesn't have to look far for some inspiration if he can do his new job very well. Jeremy Affeldt made $42M in his career. Javier Lopez made $28M. Brett Ceicel just signed a $30M contract.