• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with most of this except I think Marrero makes it over Hwang. Ultimately, I think they look at Hwang taking over 3rd base full time and will give him some minor league time to play full time. I also think Williamson goes on the dl. Morse won't be purchased but will be encouraged to get well in the minors and probably gets his contract purchased three weeks in, at the expense of Marrero.

Yeah I'm not quite sure if we can anoint Hwang just yet. The Giants might let him get a feel for LF and 3B and more American pitching in AAA at least for a couple weeks. The Giants may feel he's ready, but that's my assessment.

Hill is almost a lock, I'm thinking.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm not quite sure if we can anoint Hwang just yet. The Giants might let him get a feel for LF and 3B and more American pitching in AAA at least for a couple weeks. The Giants may feel he's ready, but that's my assessment.

Hill is almost a lock, I'm thinking.
And that is too bad. Right now, Tomlinson is out hitting him. Tomlinson's slash is .278/.341/.361 while Hill's is .243/.317/.351.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is too bad. Right now, Tomlinson is out hitting him. Tomlinson's slash is .278/.341/.361 while Hill's is .243/.317/.351.
The rules of the game make this the likely outcome, though. KT can be kept in the org while not in SF. Hill cannot.

It sucks, but dems da rules.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's inevitable Hill will hit a homerun against Kershaw then

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nunez does miss some time (keep in mind, it's a 10-day DL now. I expect the Giants to actually use this and not Pagan everyone again....), this is how I see the Opening Day lineup:

C-Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
SS-Crawford
3B-Hwang
LF-Parker
CF-Span
RF-Pence

Hundley-Gonnor-Gorkys-Hill

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Jeff
Cain

Melancon-Law-Strick-Okert-Kontos-Osich-Ramirez-Gearrin

Suarez get's DFA'd, but I expect him to not get picked up and safely lands in Sacramento. Smith and Gardeck get 60'd (that sounds dirty) to make space for Hill and Hwang.

Bochy uses Ramirez against lefties a lot to see if he can be reliable and he, Osich and Gearrin battle it out until Nunez is ready.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nunez does miss some time (keep in mind, it's a 10-day DL now. I expect the Giants to actually use this and not Pagan everyone again....), this is how I see the Opening Day lineup:

C-Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
SS-Crawford
3B-Hwang
LF-Parker
CF-Span
RF-Pence

Hundley-Gonnor-Gorkys-Hill

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Jeff
Cain

Melancon-Law-Strick-Okert-Kontos-Osich-Ramirez-Gearrin

Suarez get's DFA'd, but I expect him to not get picked up and safely lands in Sacramento. Smith and Gardeck get 60'd (that sounds dirty) to make space for Hill and Hwang.

Bochy uses Ramirez against lefties a lot to see if he can be reliable and he, Osich and Gearrin battle it out until Nunez is ready.

This seems eminently reasonable to me.

Eventually, I think Blach will be in this mix, as we are light on LHP, and I have little confidence in Cainer returning to any sort of decent form. And I don't see any of the relievers here being a long reliever.

Nicely done.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon Beckham has been released. He asked the team to so he could explore other opportunities.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm removing Beckham (released) and Smith (injury) from the spring training roster but will leave Morse and Williamson for now, in case one comes back from their injuries to compete again. That means the Giants still need to whittle this list down by 13 to 15 players.

Pitchers (19)

Ty Blach
Madison Bumgarner
Matt Cain
Johnny Cueto
Jose Dominguez (nri)
Cory Gearrin
Roberto Gomez (nri)
David Hernandez (nri)
George Kontos
Derek Law
Mark Melancon
Matt Moore
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Neil Ramirez (nri)
Michael Roth (nri)
Jeff Samardzija
Hunter Strickland
Albert Suarez

Catchers (4)
Trevor Brown
Tim Federowicz (nri)
Nick Hundley
Buster Posey

Infielders (10)
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Conor Gillaspie
Aaron Hill (nri)
Jae-gyun Hwang (nri)
Chris Marrero (nri)
Eduardo Nunez
Joe Panik
Jimmy Rollins (nri)
Kelby Tomlinson

Outfielders (7)
Gorkys Hernandez
Michael Morse (nri)
Jarrett Parker
Hunter Pence
Justin Ruggiano (nri)
Denard Span
Mac Williamson

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I assume you have Suarez getting DFA'd? That seems like almost a given at this point. But with Morse going to the DL, you would still need to account for 1 more 40 spot unless you expect Cainer to go the 60 out of the gate (I don't see that happening - Suarez DFA, Smith 60; add Hill, Hwang, Morse). I could see Morse accepting an assignment, though. It is either that or retire/coach. And he could learn the coaching gig while he rehabs.
I was thinking Smith to the 60 day DL.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. tz said he expected Morse to start the season on the DL and I was saying that didn't make much sense.
Good point. I see what you mean. No need for DL and the roster move associated with it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with most of this except I think Marrero makes it over Hwang. Ultimately, I think they look at Hwang taking over 3rd base full time and will give him some minor league time to play full time. I also think Williamson goes on the dl. Morse won't be purchased but will be encouraged to get well in the minors and probably gets his contract purchased three weeks in, at the expense of Marrero.

I'm thinking you're right. At least until Morse is ready they'll want a power bat on the bench. 0-62 last year when behind after 7

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Will Smith will be done for the year - Will Smith Likely To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
However, the Brewers are dealing with issues of their own for the guys that they got as Bickford has been suspended and Susac is dealing with some injuries of his own right now.

I thought it was a great trade for all parties involved, but the early returns are pretty stinky for both side....

Granted Smith was a big part in us making the playoffs last year too.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Adalberto Mejia is going to open the season in the Twins' rotation. Good for him, excited to get a look at his results.

Reactions: LHG
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

haven't seen much of hill, but i'll really miss kelby's bat control and base speed if he doesn't make the line-up. i'd expect to be up at some time in the year with the inevitable injuries