• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, as well as Hill.
Interesting. I think I'd like Hwang on the roster, if he was going to start at 3rd base. Then shift Nunez to a super-sub and carry Williamson as the 4th outfielder. With so many unknowns in the outfield (will Parker play well enough to start all the time, is Span really healthy, can Hernandez hit, will Pence stay healthy), I'd rather see a guy who has extensive outfield experience make the team. Morse at least has played outfield before. Not sure about Hill or Hwang before spring training.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Parker with the...

golden-sombrero.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any reason why Bum only went 2 IP?

I'm not sure why, but I did see a note from the pre-game that it was the plan for him to have a short outing today and finish out his pitch count in the bullpen. Maybe since we were facing the D-Backs, they didn't want them getting a good look at MadBum? IDK, but it was planned.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like he could throw his hat in the ring for that last open spot on the roster

C7iUI3rWsAEwWJd.jpg:large

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I think I'd like Hwang on the roster, if he was going to start at 3rd base. Then shift Nunez to a super-sub and carry Williamson as the 4th outfielder. With so many unknowns in the outfield (will Parker play well enough to start all the time, is Span really healthy, can Hernandez hit, will Pence stay healthy), I'd rather see a guy who has extensive outfield experience make the team. Morse at least has played outfield before. Not sure about Hill or Hwang before spring training.

I think the bar is pretty low to be at least as good as Beast in LF. KT, Hill, and Hwang are all possibilities there. Mac is going to AAA b/c he's hurt and has options. I think Gorkys is a lock for the 4th OF spot. My guess:

C - Buster, Hund
IF - BB9, Dozens, Stamos, Nunez, Hill, Gonor
OF - Herk, Span, JPark, Gorkys, Hwang

SP - Bum, JC, Moore, Shark, Blach
RP - Melancon, Law, Okert, Kontos, Strick, Gearrin, Osich

Cain goes to DL
Beast on DL
Smith on 60 day DL
KT and Mac to AAA
JRoll retires

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bar is pretty low to be at least as good as Beast in LF. KT, Hill, and Hwang are all possibilities there. Mac is going to AAA b/c he's hurt and has options. I think Gorkys is a lock for the 4th OF spot. My guess:

C - Buster, Hund

Cain goes to DL
Beast on DL
Smith on 60 day DL
KT and Mac to AAA
JRoll retires
So I assume you have Suarez getting DFA'd? That seems like almost a given at this point. But with Morse going to the DL, you would still need to account for 1 more 40 spot unless you expect Cainer to go the 60 out of the gate (I don't see that happening - Suarez DFA, Smith 60; add Hill, Hwang, Morse). I could see Morse accepting an assignment, though. It is either that or retire/coach. And he could learn the coaching gig while he rehabs.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I assume you have Suarez getting DFA'd? That seems like almost a given at this point. But with Morse going to the DL, you would still need to account for 1 more 40 spot unless you expect Cainer to go the 60 out of the gate (I don't see that happening - Suarez DFA, Smith 60; add Hill, Hwang, Morse). I could see Morse accepting an assignment, though. It is either that or retire/coach. And he could learn the coaching gig while he rehabs.

Morse has been on record saying he is not going to the minor leagues..... I'm not really sure if that has changed since the injury though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morse has been on record saying he is not going to the minor leagues..... I'm not really sure if that has changed since the injury though.
But would he go to another org? I doubt it, he us pretty much Giants through and through.

So I suspect he is either a Giant or retired. And if he is hurt, will he force the club to cut someone else while he rehabs?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like he could throw his hat in the ring for that last open spot on the roster

C7iUI3rWsAEwWJd.jpg:large

I wonder if he'll still shun autograph seekers this time around?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would he go to another org? I doubt it, he us pretty much Giants through and through.

So I suspect he is either a Giant or retired. And if he is hurt, will he force the club to cut someone else while he rehabs?
I don't think the Giants have to purchase his contract in order for him to go to AAA and rehab. It would seem more prudent to just assign him there (and have him waive the opt out if there is one in his contract) with the promise that if he does go to AAA that his contract will be purchased when he is ready.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Giants have to purchase his contract in order for him to go to AAA and rehab. It would seem more prudent to just assign him there (and have him waive the opt out if there is one in his contract) with the promise that if he does go to AAA that his contract will be purchased when he is ready.
That's my point. tz said he expected Morse to start the season on the DL and I was saying that didn't make much sense.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he'll still shun autograph seekers this time around?

Haha yeah he was a real dick about that.

But he's definitely slacked up on it. In fact, he "happened" to be riding by AT&T Park on his bike before FanFest and stopped to sign autographs for people waiting to go into the park.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eduardo Nunez was flown to SF to get a cortisone injection for shoulder soreness and will be sidelined for 3 days. It doesn't sound too serious . . . right now. If he does go on the dl to start the season, I'm all for Hwang taking his spot.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C - Buster, Hund

Cain goes to DL
Beast on DL
Smith on 60 day DL
KT and Mac to AAA
JRoll retires
I'd agree with most of this except I think Marrero makes it over Hwang. Ultimately, I think they look at Hwang taking over 3rd base full time and will give him some minor league time to play full time. I also think Williamson goes on the dl. Morse won't be purchased but will be encouraged to get well in the minors and probably gets his contract purchased three weeks in, at the expense of Marrero.