• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Reds Talk

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty has a well below .500 record in the Post Season, but I think he did win one elimination game while with the Cubs. The Cubs beat Atlanta in game 5 before losing to the Marlins in the NLCS.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting for the Nats generally but not necessarily because of Baker.
I am just not an LA-NY sort of fan.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that JJ Hoover is a free agent.
Should
we
sign
him?

just kidding.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting for the Nats generally but not necessarily because of Baker.
I am just not an LA-NY sort of fan.

I'm not either. I also am picking the Cub's in 5. Kershaw may win a game, that's why I said 5, But could be a 4 game sweep.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say JJ will be signing a minor league deal hoping for a ST invite. Hopefully somewhere other than Cincinnati.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Hoovy learns a knuckleball, he can sign where he wants. I suggest he go looking for work in the Atlantic League.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to predict where JJ will end up.....
My first two choices would be Cincinnati and Washington. If Dusty is retained, could be the Nats.

Someone will sign him to a minor league deal. Once a guy has some success at the Major league level, it guarantees somebody thinks they can fix the guy, no matter how awful he appears to be. Bryan Price is one of those guys.... hasn't fixed too many, but for some reason thinks he can.

The Reds will probably be looking for a veteran catcher to bring to ST with Mesoraco recovering from hip and shoulder surgery. Ramon Cabrera is a defensive liabilty and I don't think the Reds want to have him as the only insurance policy if Mesoraco can't answer the bell. Ryan Hannigan is at the end of his career and the Bosox are expected to decline his 2017 option. His career has gone in the toilet since he left Cincy, but if he's interested in signing a minor league deal, wouldn't be too surprising to see him signed by Cincinnati. He lives in Lexington and the club's familiarity with him makes it seem plausible.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds send out a lot of surveys to Season Ticket Holders. Got one yesterday that was focused on Weekday game times, primarily Monday- Thursday. I guess they're thinking about changing the 7:10 PM and 12:30 PM Business Man Special times if they get positive feedback.

Game times may have a minimal affect on attendance, but finishing last two seasons in a row has a much bigger impact. The Reds should keep their focus on fixing that problem.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy can sell its downtown to people who probably don't mind spending 200 bucks on dinner and drinks. If they are inclined to see a ballgame first, ugh. I don't live that direction but I guess if we intend to see a game, I'd probably go to Florence first, Hamilton next and Cincy third. Well maybe not.

I like the idea that the Reds might latch onto Hanigan again not unlike the Corky Miller phenomenon. Obviously if they do make a move, it will illustrate that Mesoraco isn't likely to be the player they wanted.

I don't know that Price ever had a real impact on Hoover. He got some "wins" a couple of years ago by facing mostly the crappy part of the batting order. The sandwich slices around that suggested he either can't find an out pitch or is clearly tipping it. Either way, they've had 3 years to fix that and he's currently looking for work.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what they would do with Cabrera if they sign Hanigan or another catcher. He would be a good pinch hitter, but he would be a liability on defense anywhere you would put him.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera is a Triple-A catcher, really. He hits OK. He will stay in baseball for a long time if is English is passable mainly because they need catchers who can talk to the Latin pitchers.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cabrera has an option year remaining I think he'll be in Louisville. I don't think he has a future in the Reds organization past his option years.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds and Fox have come to agreement on their new TV deal. No numbers were released, but I guess it can be assumed it's relative to the market size and would be an increase in the neighborhood of $20-30M per year. It also includes an equity stake which seems to be the normal these days.

The new TV deal was one factor that could affect the roster moving forward, another is the Collective Bargaining Agreement set to expire prior to the Winter Meetings.

Every thing could remain status quo with a new CBA, but change in lanuage/ policies could affect the Reds handling of a few players and the way they're able to invest in the International market moving forward.

The current free agent compensation is centered around the Qualifying Offer. With the QC being $15M+ it's unlikely the Reds would offer it to any player they can't trade. Phillips would be the best example of a player that may go to free agency without the Reds receiving compensation.

Under the current rules the Reds won't be able to sign International players during the next signing period for an amount that would draw top talent as a penalty for exceeding their International Pool amount this season.

The biggest change that would be benificial to the smaller markets and competitive balance would be an International Draft, but this is very unlikely in the near term.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
International draft will eventually have to happen.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Organizational moves. Looks like Yorman is being bypassed, period. No surprise.
I will be curious to see how this indy league refugee -- Art Charles -- does. I follow indy ball and it's a lot better than it looks. The Can-Am is a tad shaky but the guy's numbers are intriguing.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say there's the possibility that Yorman and Cotham are both still injured and got the John Lamb treatment. Both cleared waivers and were outrighted.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can buy Cotham still being risky goods. If Yorman has a hammy pull, it's not like that can't be healed. He has something else, I would guess. Maybe he just has halitosis or something.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whether Yorman has bad breath, but he may have left a bad taste in the Reds mouth after the bonus he was given.

The Reds have dfa/ outrighted 10 players off the 40 man the last two weeks. Of the 10 only Abel Delos Santos was claimed off waivers. That's a sad indictment of the Reds 40 man roster.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I can change that to 2 of 10 with the Lamb trade.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb was traded? I didn't know that. been really busy this last week