• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2016-17 Stanley Cup Final Nashville Predators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article and I think it really captures it.

I think the part that is so frustrating to me (in addition to the clear double standards everywhere) is the fact that the league always whines about scoring being down and trying to change lots of things to increase the scoring and make the game "more accessible". Plus they spend all season talking about they are cracking down on dangerous play.

If they say it, I just want them to do it. You can say "that's hockey", but we need to question them on if it is. By the NHL's words, it isn't. So either say "Fuck it, this is the way it is and it isn't going to change" or call the playoffs to the same standard as the rest of the season. Saying one thing and doing, in a lot of cases, the direct opposite makes things difficult for long time fans and does nothing to encourage new ones.

Major, passionate market right now is pissed off. And they have every right to be because of that inconsistency.

And their goalie who seems to have a hex placed on him, but no one will ever admit that.
What major passionate market is pissed off? And about what now??? Supposed inconsistency?

Truly, help a clueless soul like me out please

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article about the leagues dysfunction.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/The-Sidney-Crosby-Game/177/85647

They would have a leadership award named after Sidney Crosby if he played in the 1980's. I mean, that exact award actually exists and it is named after Mark Messier. A player who was guilty of way worse than whatever Crosby's transgressions are. Messier's behavior is canonized by the league in the form of a leadership award and we are going to blame players for acting like... Mark Messier? Weird dynamic we have on our hands here in 2017.

The Messier leadership thing is complete BS. It all stems from him making one guarantee before one playoff game. Ask Vancouver fans about his leadership.

He was a dirty piece of shit, but he'd stand up for himself and he never looked to the league/refs for extra protection after he pulled his bullshit (that was Gretzky's job :hockeysmile:). He was nowhere near as skilled Crosby either.

Good article and sadly very true.

My favorite comment, from the forum section, about the article:

The article makes some good points regarding Messier being as revered as he is but it kind of misses the mark overall. Messier's prime was 30 years ago. A lot changes in 30 years. Ron Hextall was the Vezina winner 30 years ago; 30 years before that the Vezina trophy winner was still 2 years away from being ridiculed for wearing a mask. These are different times and any player who doesn't know that is clueless.

In short Crosby is not going out there to play like Messier; he's too smart for that. He's his own player and he's choosing to be a dirty fucker. It's up to the league to address it, but they seem to not want to do that. Ever.

Finally, his incident with Subban is pretty meh. I didn't see it live and expected it to be much worse. He pushes his head down repeatedly, sure, but he's hardly slamming it on the ice. Dirty, bush league stuff but not really dangerous.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This bitterness towards Crosby is awesome. Dirty...lol,,,bush league...bwahahahaha.

Move on. It's freaking playoff hockey!!! Freaking A, did any of you play hockey or any competitive contact sport?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This bitterness towards Crosby is awesome. Dirty...lol,,,bush league...bwahahahaha.

Move on. It's freaking playoff hockey!!! Freaking A, did any of you play hockey or any competitive contact sport?

You bet. I played hockey for 34 years. Undecided if I'll resume playing after some recent surgeries. I also played rugby and football growing up. I boxed for just under a year two until I decided I don't like getting punched in the head.

I bet you played against some former NHLers yourself, right?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bet. I played hockey for 34 years. Undecided if I'll resume playing after some recent surgeries. I also played rugby and football growing up. I boxed for just under a year two until I decided I don't like getting punched in the head.

I bet you played against some former NHLers yourself, right?
LOL...the bitterness is fantastic. I just asked a simple question about playing competitively because some rants on here appear to be from people who don't understand what happens on a competitive field of play.

And no, I didn't play against any former NHL'ers...some college kids, but not former NHL'ers. It was all pickup and good fun...and I sucked something awful, but still enjoyed it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think what you want about last night's play, but hitting dudes in the nuts is dirty. There's nothing else to call that.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you want about last night's play, but hitting dudes in the nuts is dirty. There's nothing else to call that.
Do I have to bring back the Frozen picture????

Holy schnikes. I know every player on your (insert team here) is a freaking angel and never did anything wrong...and they walk on water and cure children of cancer

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...the bitterness is fantastic. I just asked a simple question about playing competitively because some rants on here appear to be from people who don't understand what happens on a competitive field of play.

And no, I didn't play against any former NHL'ers...some college kids, but not former NHL'ers. It was all pickup and good fun...and I sucked something awful, but still enjoyed it.

I played hockey 18 years competitively, reaching college and have been a coach for 26 years, currently a level 5 USA Hockey certified master coach for all levels from Mini Mite to High School.

But you've played some pickup hockey, so keep on belittling everyone else's opinions as "bitterness".

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played hockey 18 years competitively, reaching college and have been a coach for 26 years, currently a level 5 USA Hockey certified master coach for all levels from Mini Mite to High School.

But you've played some pickup hockey, so keep on belittling everyone else's opinions as "bitterness".
That isn't what I said...I didn't give my resume like you all seem to want, and I won't. I just responded to the level of hockey I have played against.

And yes, when Ottawa and BJ fans start ranting about the greatest hockey player in the NHL, it's bitterness. No accolades for the other 18 minutes he played dominant hockey???

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't what I said...I didn't give my resume like you all seem to want, and I won't. I just responded to the level of hockey I have played against.

And yes, when Ottawa and BJ fans start ranting about the greatest hockey player in the NHL, it's bitterness. No accolades for the other 18 minutes he played dominant hockey???

When did either of us mention Jonathan Toews?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sissons won't be suspended for Game 6 - Article - TSN

yutRrqm.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, last night Evgeni Malkin had a goal and a fight in a SCF game. In eight years, that has only happened twice before.

The last two players to do it; Evgeni Malkin and Evgeni Malkin.

LOL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, that's the right decision, I think. The match penalty was sufficient. If Maatta didn't lose his balance, the stick gets him in the gut instead. Irresponsible, but not overtly malicious.

Plus, Maatta is "fine," and we all know that means there can't be a suspension.

I know this isn't concrete evidence but Scissons's body language was pretty telling to me. The last crosscheck was fake-casual to me. I think he knew exactly what was going on. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm all in favour of suspending for stupidity.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this isn't concrete evidence but Scissons's body language was pretty telling to me. The last crosscheck was fake-casual to me. I think he knew exactly what was going on. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm all in favour of suspending for stupidity.

That's fair. It would be hard for the league to justify since they don't even suspend for malice, though.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, last night Evgeni Malkin had a goal and a fight in a SCF game. In eight years, that has only happened twice before.

The last two players to do it; Evgeni Malkin and Evgeni Malkin.

LOL
I didn't know they gave him a fighting major last night?

But yeah tough guy Malkin fighting is the funniest thing ever.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It makes sense and should be but if they started now (meaning game 6 of the SCF's) it would look even worse than looking the other way as they do.

We all know if this occurs again game 1 next season it would be 3 games, by the end of the season 1 game and in the playoffs maybe a penalty with the caveat the "player chart".