• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lightning will win the cup next year....

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You heard it here first. I think this will be the year the bolts bring the cup back to Florida. I know the offseason moves aren't finished just yet but we are getting there and the teams are pretty much set. So why do I think this will be the bolts year? Well firstly, looking back to last year the bolts were 4th in the league in points after the all-star break with an injury riddled lineup. The Lightning showed in that strecth how good this team can be which is one of the league's best.

Yzerman had a busy summer, with the expansion draft, the trade of Drouin and his dip into the FA market, so did the bolts get better in the offseason? Personally I felt they got slighty better but that's all they needed really as Yzerman said, "we are a couple of pieces away". As I said previosuly, the team was the 4th best in the league post all-star break and again that was with an injury riddled lineup. The core group is very talented and it was just a matter trying to find those couple of pieces to get the bolts over the hill. The Kunitz signing is one I really like, he's a winner, a very good leader and still an effective player who can either complement your skill players in the top 6 or play a 3rd line checking role. The Girardi signing is growing one me. He had a few injuries last year but rebounded and had a good playoff run. He's not the player he once was but still can be an effective player. His role is going to be a steady presence on the 3rd pairing and to assist a youngster wether than be Sergachev or Koekkoek with their development. The Drouin trade was a tough one in terms how you are going to replace his offense but with Stamkos returning, I think that will soften the blow and I expect Brayden Point to continue to ascend his game after his strong finish to the season.

Looking ahead to next season the bolts will have no distractions to contend with, there's no Stamkos unsigned, there's no Bishop unsigned, there should be no distractions what so ever unlike years past. In regards to the team upfront they are talented and extremly deep. They should have no problem scoring goals. In net, Vasi showed late last year he can carry the load and play big we needed, you also have a very dependable backup in Budaj who can carry the load also. Defense still remain's the team question mark. Despite being labelled as the team's weakness, the bolts finished a league average 15th this past year. There is definitely room for improvement but ranking 15th isn't all that bad especially when you consider the stanley cup champions Pittsburgh Penguins ranked at the leagues 16th best defense last year. So where do you improve defensively? Well the team's defense improved when Jake Dotchin arrived last year which solidified our top 4 defesne as he was a dependable partner for Victor Hedman and allowed the bolts to move Stralman down to the 2nd pairing to provide more balance. Having Dotchin around for a full season will certainly benefit the Lightning's defense. Girardi will be a steady player for us in a role that suits him but the key for me is his partner. It's going to come down to who wins the battle in camp either Koekkoek or Sergachev. I honestly think the bolts won't be able to deciede between the two as Sergachev is the more talented by Koekkoek is talented in his own right and more seasoned especially coming off a run to Calder Cup Finals. I can see the bolts carrying 8 defenseman and often play 11 forwards and 7 defenseman with both Koekkoek and Sergachev in the lineup. But let's say they only keep one of the two, let's say they keep Koekkoek up and send Sergachev back to junior, I think that's an upgrade over last year as Koekkoek is talented, he can move the puck and really skate. Due to the reasons mentioned I think the team's defense will improve and push into the top 10 in the league and you combine that will a forward group that will score goals and goalie tandem that will be solid, the bolts will have a really good team next year.

Coming back to my point of the Lightning winning the cup I think the teams who are consider the elite teams such as Pittsburgh and Washington have been weakened with losing players. Montreal will remain a very good team but lack offense and defensive depth. The likes off Columbus and Ottawa orverachieved and will likely drop off but still be playoff teams. Toronto will still be a good team but with all their youngsters entering their second season, I think there will be some drop off. I think the likes of Boston, Philadelphia, and the New York teams are all solid teams but only solid teams at best. Then you look out West, I think the Preds will drop off slightly like San Jose did the year after they reached the final. I think the likes of Minny, Anaheim, Chicago, St. Louis will be up there again but for me the Dallas Stars out the team to beat out West. They had a blip year like us but they still have Benn, Seguin as well as Spezza and now this summer have added the likes of Radulov, Hanzal, Methot and Bishop. Goaltending has always been these Stars issue and now the fact they have Bish they should be just fine and when your pair that with the fire power they have upfront and the fact they have addressed the blueline, they are going to be a dangerous team. So I have it being a Lightning/Stars final with the bolts winning the cup!

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started last year with a lot of promise then Stamkos
got hurt then one by one everyone seemed to get hurt
then it seemed all the Crunch were with us. Lets hope we can stay healthy.
enough to get us in the playoffs., then anything can happen.
My COPD seems to have slowed enough to get me to the start of the season.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started last year with a lot of promise then Stamkos
got hurt then one by one everyone seemed to get hurt
then it seemed all the Crunch were with us. Lets hope we can stay healthy.
enough to get us in the playoffs., then anything can happen.
My COPD seems to have slowed enough to get me to the start of the season.

That's the key bolt, we have to stay healthy. We have a deep team, we did last year but the amount of injuries caught up with us last year and we wasn't able to overcome it but we almost did.

Hang on in there my friend!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on vasy he has to improve for us to win the cup. But if the lightning stay healthy we are contender for the cup for sure. I don't see it we are not better then nashville or the penguins but we are a top 5 nhl team if healthy.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Todd, I just don't see where the changes made take the Lightning straight to the Final. Yes, they got leadership from a player whose team won the Cup a few times whilst he was with them but bottom line is the Lightning still have a net-minder that's going to start his first season as a starter and was a bit shaky last season, to say the least. The Lightning really didn't upgrade their defense from last season. It takes D-men much longer to mature and find their NHL game than it does offensive players. I'm scratching my head. I guess we'll see! I hope Danny is correct but I don't see the Preds, Columbus and Wild tapering off. Especially not the Blue Jackets with Torts.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my predictions:

Atlantic
1. Tampa Bay
2. Toronto
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa