• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Devils Draft Thread

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i was listening to nhl radio a fan proposed a trade with arizona. our 6 + a 2nd + one of gelinas/merrill/severson.

they thought they would turn it down.

if shero can get the #3 without having to give up the #6 to get it then i would give them whatever they want. if this draft pans out the way everyone thinks it will then you would land 2 legit nhl players that would be top 6 on this team.

why would the coyotes do this? well they aren't going to be in arizona after this year heck maybe even after this summer. so maybe the owner wants to make the team more attractive? by adding a legit nhl player like camalari? + whoever else fans in whatever city they go to would have a better on ice product immediately

why wouldn't they do this? well they would make the team more attractive to potential new owners since they have less payroll. since they are moving whatever fan base gets them will want all their young players intact.

without hesitation i would offer camilari +1st next year + 2nd this year + 2nd next year. and throw in gelinas....try to get a pick back in return maybe like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

draft your franchise center in strome or marner. you can then afford to draft your prize d man at #6. oooooor draft strome hope marner falls to you. man you would have 2 franchise players youth on d and goalie all set.

i would then turn around and look at bringing in kessel. HEAR ME OUT.

save the 5 million in camalari salary i believe kessel gets 8? so thats taking on 3 million which we can afford. with that price tag on kessel i believe the market is very limited as it was for kovalchuk. so the leafs will be traded from a weak position since everyone knows they WANT to move him. offer two second rounders this year and merrill that would honestly be enough to get him if not an OVER PAYMENT.

so the devils would go into next year with
strome/marner kessel as additions minus gelinas and merrill. defense is always something that can be plugged by UFA. but we do have young d that can step in. scarlette? bourlon? or bring back oduya on a cheap deal

marner and kessel fill the void on RW. strome the #1 center we need. throw in boucher and stefan and there is our revamped top 6

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
will it happen? no but its fun to think about

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was listening to nhl radio a fan proposed a trade with arizona. our 6 + a 2nd + one of gelinas/merrill/severson.

they thought they would turn it down.

if shero can get the #3 without having to give up the #6 to get it then i would give them whatever they want. if this draft pans out the way everyone thinks it will then you would land 2 legit nhl players that would be top 6 on this team.

why would the coyotes do this? well they aren't going to be in arizona after this year heck maybe even after this summer. so maybe the owner wants to make the team more attractive? by adding a legit nhl player like camalari? + whoever else fans in whatever city they go to would have a better on ice product immediately

why wouldn't they do this? well they would make the team more attractive to potential new owners since they have less payroll. since they are moving whatever fan base gets them will want all their young players intact.

without hesitation i would offer camilari +1st next year + 2nd this year + 2nd next year. and throw in gelinas....try to get a pick back in return maybe like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

draft your franchise center in strome or marner. you can then afford to draft your prize d man at #6. oooooor draft strome hope marner falls to you. man you would have 2 franchise players youth on d and goalie all set.

i would then turn around and look at bringing in kessel. HEAR ME OUT.

save the 5 million in camalari salary i believe kessel gets 8? so thats taking on 3 million which we can afford. with that price tag on kessel i believe the market is very limited as it was for kovalchuk. so the leafs will be traded from a weak position since everyone knows they WANT to move him. offer two second rounders this year and merrill that would honestly be enough to get him if not an OVER PAYMENT.

so the devils would go into next year with
strome/marner kessel as additions minus gelinas and merrill. defense is always something that can be plugged by UFA. but we do have young d that can step in. scarlette? bourlon? or bring back oduya on a cheap deal

marner and kessel fill the void on RW. strome the #1 center we need. throw in boucher and stefan and there is our revamped top 6

I think you're kind of hitting on it with trying to make a more presentable product. They are loaded with quality young players and could be a very good team in the near future. They're most likely moving so they would want a great on ice product to market right off the bat. They needs quality vets to compliment their young guns.

I believe they have 2 2nd and 2 3rd rounders this year to go a long with the Rangers first rounder next year so I think they can afford to shop the 3rd overall around and get some talent that can make an immediate impact.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah having camalari scoring 20+ next year wherever they end up will be a lot better then hoping strome pans out. then again i'm sure they can get better offers then camm and merrill from other teams.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yotes looking to be out of arizona by this season yikes!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I like 4 guys at our spot after the top two...

2 guys after the top 4.... LOL

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we should do anything that involves trading the 1st next year. If you move Camm you assume we're going to be bottom of the league next year. We're prob going to be in the Auston Matthews hunt. Keep the 6. If we could trade cam plus 6 for 3 I prob still wouldn't do it. Camm might get us a first. Keep 6. There's no one who is a sure thing from 3-8. Keep 6 get a first for Camm. High pick next year and we're on our way.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Having camaleri on this team probably cost us a shot at the #4 pick this year if not higher.

It will probably mean the same next year if he stays here. He's good enough to keep us from last but not good enough to get us to the playoffs.

It would be like the islanders last year. They had to give up a first last or this year. They kept their high first and risked not having a lotto pick this year. Of course their team has Tavares on it.

With the east as bad as it is I think a new coach some youth in the lineup we can make 8th

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Camm was definitely our best forward. I think Adam was hanging with him until he tore those ligaments in his wrist. You could tell something was seriously wrong with him in the second half. Cory was the biggest reason we weren't worse. He had a .940 in DEC and a .948 in Jan. Ridiculous two months.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more ok I'd be with taking a defenseman at 6 if he's the best player available. After seeing Hedman and Duncan Keith control that series I can't definitively say no to a potential number 1.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More the merrier? Devils may draft D with first-rounder | ProHockeyTalk

yeah i'm kinda on board with taking either of the 2 d men too.

i rather not "reach" and take someone like brazal or rantenan or course. i rather have a higher ceiling player in either hanifan or provoyo. sorry for the bad spelling.

if strome or marner is there i would take them if not go with the d man.

i am less sold on ivan only because he is russian and i can't really remember the last great russian d man.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More the merrier? Devils may draft D with first-rounder | ProHockeyTalk

yeah i'm kinda on board with taking either of the 2 d men too.

i rather not "reach" and take someone like brazal or rantenan or course. i rather have a higher ceiling player in either hanifan or provoyo. sorry for the bad spelling.

if strome or marner is there i would take them if not go with the d man.

i am less sold on ivan only because he is russian and i can't really remember the last great russian d man.

Can always trade young, quality D-men for offense down the road as well.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russian D were/are Fetisov, Markov, Gonchar ...

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be really hesitant to give up a serious asset to move into the so-called "top 5". Sure Hannifan could be a star, and might be there at 5. Do we really want to move one spot to get him?

You can't tell with these kids who is going to be a star yet.

Here's a look at the 3-10 spots since 2010.

3 - Eric Gudbranson (D) Florida
4 - Ryan Johansen (C) Columbus
5 - Nino Niederreiter (LW) Islanders- Now Minny
6 - Brett Connolly (RW) Tampa Bay - Now Bruins
7 - Jeff Skinner (C) Carolina
8 - Alex Burmistrov (C) Atlanta - Now in KHL
9 - Mikael Granlund (C) Minnesota
10 - Dylan McIlrath (D) Rangers

3 - Jonathan Huberdeau (C) - Florida
4 - Adam Larsson (D) - Devils
5 - Ryan Strome (C) - Islanders
6 - Mika Zibanejad (C) - Ottawa
7 - Mark Scheifele (C) - Winnepeg
8 - Sean Couturier (C) - Philly
9 - Dougie Hamilton (D) - Boston
10 - Jonas Brodin (D) - Minny

3 - Alex Galchenyuk (C) - Montreal
4 - Griffin Reinhart (D) - Islanders
5 - Morgan Reilly (D) - Toronto
6 - Hampus Lindholm (D) - Anaheim
7 - Matthew Dumba (D) - Minny
8 - Derrick Pouliot (D) - Pittsburgh
9 - Jacob Trouba (D) - Winnipeg
10 - Slater Koekkoek (D) - Tampa

3 - Jonathan Droin (LW) - Tampa
4 - Seth Jones (D) - Nashville
5 - Elias Lindholm (C) - Carolina
6 - Sean Monahan (C) - Calgary
7 - Darnell Nurse (D) - Oilers
8 - Rasmus Ristolainen (D) - Buffalo
9 - Bo Horvat (C) - Vancouver
10 - Valeri Nichuskin (RW) - Dallas

2014 - No clear best at this point.
3 - Leon Draisaitl (C) - Edmonton
4 - Sam Bennett (C) - Calgary
5 - Michael Dal Colle (LW) - Islanders
6 - Jake Virtanen (RW) - Vancouver
7 - Haydn Fleury (D) - Carolina
8 - William Nylander (C) - Toronto
9 - Nikolaj Ehlers (LW) - Winnipeg
10 - Nick Ritchie (LW) - Anaheim

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The more I think about it, the more ok I'd be with taking a defenseman at 6 if he's the best player available. After seeing Hedman and Duncan Keith control that series I can't definitively say no to a potential number 1.

I thing the media's focus on #1 centers has really hidden the fact that all the cup winners have perennial Norris candidates and possible HoF Defensemen. Chicago has Keith, LA has Doughty, Boston had Chara, and Detroit had Lidstrom. Pittsburgh is the only team that lacked the top tier defenseman and they had the #1 and #2 centers in the world along with a very hot goaltender.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting really nervous now... personally, i'm not liking the growing interest in drafting a Dman...

yes that should mean we move our young guys but what trades are out there that we would bring in someone with offensive potential? what happens if NO move is made at all....

all we fucking do is draft dman lol.... we need help! this is a strong offensive class up top, cash in on it!

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question that team needs scorers. If we don't get him in draft, then trade for becomes necessity. And we need more than one scorer, and I'm not talking about 40+/50+ goals (which I wouldn't mind), but at least 30+

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
its really tough. i'm all about the offense i want to win games 6-5 not 2-1. i want a 100pt player on the devils 50 goals finally some excitement some buzz in the building like when #9 and 17 were here. or in 2000/01 with the A line and then gomez and mogilny on the 2nd line.

i really would hate to reach on a second level offensive talent if the big 4 are gone already. strome/marner/mcdavid/eichel. which is what we would have to do. who is sitting there when we draft then? either one of hanifan or praopopv. it really sucks being in the spot we are in....say we land at #4 its a no brainer you take strome or marner if either is there.

problem i have taking a d man though is #1 how can you pass on a player being called the next doughty? or whoever? thats a tough pill to swallow.
#2 aren't the guys in our pipeline already supposed to be "good" prospects? larrson was a #4 pick! he should be a top 1/2 d man. severson/scarlette and someone else i remember were pretty good prospects.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the potential that these two dman are offering, yes its great to hear/read but we are just crowded back there with guys of our own that they themselves are still growing... idk... if anything you could "argue" for more "Vet" experience back there but that's it...

we have nothing up front... no speed, size, power, age, energy for the most part....

idk, maybe i'm overrating our defensemen in quality and quantity...