• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Devils Draft Thread

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who's in the lead now? I'm very open as I keep reading some good positives here n there... other than the first two obviously I think i'm feeling good about Rantanen as someone falling to our spot.... if he meets potential he could be very good for us.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It may be unpopular with you guys but I think Provorov is the leading choice and in the same tier with Marner/Strome/Hanifin.

His writeup is here: Ivan Provorov: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - In Lou We Trust

I don't think any forwards available except Crouse should be brought up to the NHL next year so even if the pick is used for needs, we won't see them for atleast another year, perhaps 2 years. It wont actually be solving our needs right now anyways.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
as good as this kid might be it really is going to be a tough sell to draft him.

the devils would seriously have to move someone on the back end somewhere either someone in the nhl already or in Albany. they draft him and you would want to stick him in albany for a little bit of time? well how many minutes is he going to get down there? what type of minutes are they? already with

burlon
helgeson
scarlett
santorini
severson if he doesn't make the nhl team?

whats that going to do for his development?

honestly if strome/marner are taken which they should be. i would look to move the pick. not that far back in the draft but just a few spots if they can add a 2nd rounder.

things i would like

a north american
must have played in the juniors
a center

if they can move someone on the blue line i'm all for drafting this kid.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You pick the best guy and worry about fitting him in when he's ready to play in the NHL.

Roster turnover is very high in the NHL right now and the Devils could be a completely different team in a couple years. One trade or a prospect or 2 not panning out and suddenly the defense in our system becomes a weak link.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your right my thinking with defense its interchangeable. There always seems to be a decent d man that can be had. A weber type? Not really but a #2 or 3 yeah

Most important I don't want a guy that will bust obviously so if this d man is the sure thing yeah I will be very happy to take him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you sure they were saying he'd be a bust or that he will be passed over by guys drafted after him?

Most things I've read about him say that he's already doing the things that make players succeed in the NHL. The complaints are all about whether he will put up lots of points. Landeskog went 2nd overall several years ago with the same concerns that he won't project as a top line offensive player but had all the other qualities that make a good NHL player. If Crouse has a good interview, I can see him getting picked in the 3-5 range and I wouldn't be surprised if the team picking him is happy about the pick 10 years down the line.

That being said, NJ probably is a bad destination for him because he will likely be more of a complimentary player and we don't have anyone good enough to jump start his development.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure they were saying he'd be a bust or that he will be passed over by guys drafted after him?

Most things I've read about him say that he's already doing the things that make players succeed in the NHL. The complaints are all about whether he will put up lots of points. Landeskog went 2nd overall several years ago with the same concerns that he won't project as a top line offensive player but had all the other qualities that make a good NHL player. If Crouse has a good interview, I can see him getting picked in the 3-5 range and I wouldn't be surprised if the team picking him is happy about the pick 10 years down the line.

That being said, NJ probably is a bad destination for him because he will likely be more of a complimentary player and we don't have anyone good enough to jump start his development.

I don't want to misquote anyone but I'm pretty certain people were saying Crouse becomes invisible in big games and that a lot of his success comes from the fact that he's a manchild and he was just so much bigger than everyone he played against. If that's the main weapon in his arsenal it's a major problem because it will be neutralized at the pro level where everyone is big and everyone is strong. With all that he still didn't score a ton this year. Maybe he'll be an ok player but not a top 10 pick.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
McKeen's Final Top 30 2015 NHL Draft Rankings

not saying he wont succeed but i want a guy with pure skill that doesn't have questions on if he will succeed in the nhl. i want someone that where the question is how much he will succeed in the nhl.

big and strong is nice but not when we need skill. we drafted stefan mattuea for that role. lawson seems like he would fill in the 2nd 3rd line

again its all a crapshoot but i rather have the d man instead of crouse

same thing with this finn mikko ristotenan or whatever? just dont know if his euro game will transfer to the nhl.

mikko and lawson are two players i would stay away from imo.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will disagree on the Dman... unless its moved for one of Edmonton's goodies....

Defensemen has far been a problem with our organization(might change with Shero btw) so i'm not very "for" drafting a dman in the firs two rounds sincerely because we have plenty of defensemen grooming outside the devils colors so its not like we're not anticipating reinforcements at that position if not answered in this draft...

Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Greene, Larsson, insert Fraser or whoever, in the past we've shown some good additions in the defense so that to me has not cause any worry for concern. We still have other prospects with perhaps just as good potential as others(Santini)

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to misquote anyone but I'm pretty certain people were saying Crouse becomes invisible in big games and that a lot of his success comes from the fact that he's a manchild and he was just so much bigger than everyone he played against. If that's the main weapon in his arsenal it's a major problem because it will be neutralized at the pro level where everyone is big and everyone is strong. With all that he still didn't score a ton this year. Maybe he'll be an ok player but not a top 10 pick.

I wasn't aware of him becoming invisible against better teams. You're right that is a serious concern. The size is less of a concern because he's still bigger than most of NHL as well. Either way, I don't want the Devils drafting him because he'll need proper development and I don't think we have the support to provide that.

As for the Dman: What happens if Gelinas can't make it in the NHL? He's struggling already so its not as far fetched of an idea. We'll be full of 2-way way and defensive Dmen and missing out of the offensive guy that Provorov is.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sold on drafting a d man at 6 either Even if he is the best available player. Trade back a few spots and get a forward we need without having to reach for him while still getting another pick.

I will say I would be pissed if he turns into the next weber that would sting.

Gelinas has the offensive upside kinda like a souray 2.0 with his shot. I think defense can always be taught ( that's why we have coaches) it can be taught to anyone like kovalchuk. Offense not so much besides I think the game is moving away from strictly offensive dmen. Karlsson up in Ottawa is a beast up in Ottawa but he is a two way not straight up offensive d man

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt this team trades the pick and with the recent coach they hired I do have a sneaking suspiciousness that they will draft Ivan. Definitely Halifan since he's american if he's there

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sold on drafting a d man at 6 either Even if he is the best available player. Trade back a few spots and get a forward we need without having to reach for him while still getting another pick.

I will say I would be pissed if he turns into the next weber that would sting.

Gelinas has the offensive upside kinda like a souray 2.0 with his shot. I think defense can always be taught ( that's why we have coaches) it can be taught to anyone like kovalchuk. Offense not so much besides I think the game is moving away from strictly offensive dmen. Karlsson up in Ottawa is a beast up in Ottawa but he is a two way not straight up offensive d man

We'll all be pissed because the Flyers pick after us and will absolutely take Provorov. I heard he's projected to be more like Doughty or Leetch than Weber though.

Provorov and Hanifin are not strictly offensive Dmen anyways. They both focus on the defensive game, although Hanifin is better defensively. Werenski is the guy that plays as a true offensive D and He's ranked up there with the other two as well.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Doughty type is sick......that being said. The flyers should be nervous we would take him or heck any team after them. The Devils really should entertain an offer

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, with Shero in charge I really don't know what to expect. How does he value our young D? He didn't draft any of those guys, maybe he has trades in his mind and he'll be working the phones. If he's willing to part with the guys we have to upgrade up front maybe he does take D with the 6 pick.

He was never shy with making trades so he might trade this pick. I really don't know what to expect. If I had to predict we probably stay put and take whoever the best forward available is (whoever Shero and company value at that pick). But I really like the idea of drafting a forward here and trading some of our D and future considerations for another quality young forward.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, since we lack any firepower up front, we need anything we can get and that to me is what keeps Gelinas into consideration as a keeper. He was working better as the season progress, again a shoutout to Stevens n Co. Until we are without a doubt an above average offense then I can see the need to move a Gelinas type player in strictly enforcing a solid defensive minded defensemen.

Besides, there all young, we know this.

Too much need for youth and scoring potential that has been ignored over the last few seasons and we've shown we cant find it through FA.

Lets hope Shero makes the right pick.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larsson and Gelinas seemed to have decent chemistry so if those 2 wind up being our PP pairing it would be nice. Gelinas has the cannon and Larsson is smooth with the puck and has a halfway decent shot from the point.