• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Devils Draft Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the potential that these two dman are offering, yes its great to hear/read but we are just crowded back there with guys of our own that they themselves are still growing... idk... if anything you could "argue" for more "Vet" experience back there but that's it...

we have nothing up front... no speed, size, power, age, energy for the most part....

idk, maybe i'm overrating our defensemen in quality and quantity...

Really it's about the ceiling of the player available. Yes we need offense but I'd rather take a guy whose ceiling is a number 1 defenseman than a guy that's projected 2nd liner. We already have a bunch of those guys.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really it's about the ceiling of the player available. Yes we need offense but I'd rather take a guy whose ceiling is a number 1 defenseman than a guy that's projected 2nd liner. We already have a bunch of those guys.
Yes, the same would be said if a guy's ceiling is a #1 line rather than a #2 dman...

Adam Larsson was talked highly right? after a few seasons in, are Devils fans calling him to be a #1?

There's no guarantee that these two defense men will be greats, perhaps they will be, maybe they are the safe picks. But all we've done after Kovy is play it safe, safe and safe...

Our safe path is here... Today's NHL needs something of attack. We need it. We are not necessarily in dire need of defensive potential. Whats the concrete plan should we draft another young Dman? who moves? is there a superstar package out there? a move just to make a move?

Not knocking the two dmen but defense, for me, is far out of my concerns right now.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh this is a really tough decision. the one good thing is either way they pick we should be getting a legit nhl talent.

As far as our defense this year. Hell with it just run with all kids back there. We aren't going to be good so why not let the kids get their growing pains in now. Greene and 5 kids I say

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh this is a really tough decision. the one good thing is either way they pick we should be getting a legit nhl talent.

As far as our defense this year. Hell with it just run with all kids back there. We aren't going to be good so why not let the kids get their growing pains in now. Greene and 5 kids I say

I think there's a real good chance that's what we'll see.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good i hope so because really whats the point of bringing in a "vet" to lead this team? lead this team to what? at best 8th place? why even waste the money? i say this because two likely candidates are odyua and martin would just be total wastes on this team. let the kids play and lets see where they are at we sure as hell have enough of them back there. this team isnt "missing" a veteran back there our rookie defense wasn't the reason we sucked last year.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You lead the team to 8th place as a staging point to compete for the cup. Give the Defense experience and teach them what it takes to win in the NHL. Teams that constantly compete for #1 draft pick never learn how to win despite having the talent to make playoff runs. Just look at Edm, Atlanta/Winnipeg from a couple years ago, Columbus, etc. Even the Blues are struggling to make runs despite being one of the most talented teams in the league because their core grew up in a losing atmosphere.

These '5 year plans' and complete rebuilds are total BS and its sad that fans actually believe that crap. Its just an excuse for a new GM to keep his job while he learns how to perform it.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
game is kinda different now i feel. i remember when the cup final just started they said something about there being only 5 guys or something small like that who were older then 28 (example without looking it up). its a young man game now.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Roszival, and Timonen are all over 30 and Hjalmarsson is 28. Sharp, Vermette, Richards, and Hossa are over 30 and Versteeg/Bickell are 29. Toews is 27 btw.

Chicago's entire defense and most of their forward core would be considered old to you.

It is not a young man's game. The game is all about being a good skater. Its just that certain old guys lose their speed and cannot compete.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's for sure that we sucked because of our offensive lines.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically I'll like our pick regardless of position, so long as it's not Crouse or somebody completely off the board. Whoever it is should be able to contribute to this team winning down the road, whether it be a defenseman or forward so it's win win.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i agree nasty. if they pan out like they should whoever we take should be a legit nhl talent and thats the most important thing. if its a weber type or a thorton type either one will help this team down the road.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is D, then we have money to spend to sign/trade for good scorer. The question is who would be such forward to sign?

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like a second vet d man (but not any of the ones from last year except Greene). If you remember both Larsson and Severson played their best hockey with Greene. Now if we could only clone Andy...

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would have to be a vet D that can support youth on their pairing. Harrold and Fraser need lots of support themselves.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have to be a vet D that can support youth on their pairing. Harrold and Fraser need lots of support themselves.
agree that's why I said not one from last year (except Greene). I am OK with harrold as a 7th because I don't want a kid sitting instead of playing in albany

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I need the draft to get here now. Let's assume the top 5 picks are McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome and Marner, who do you take at 6? Who do you want? Who do you think is the best?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My eyes are on Brazal, Rantanen, Crouse & Meier...

It comes down to Brazal and Rantanen for me.

I select Brazal....

Heading in, I was more for Rantanen as he presents a unique threat if he lives up to his potential...

The more I read about Brazal, the more I read that he's a fighter and a tremendous playmaker, able to make his teammates better.... It came down to risk or safe as I look back on my rationale so maybe I defaulted and went safe....

Those two are my intended with the presented scenario, Brazal edging Rantanen ATM.

Go Devils!

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Provorov (I put him in similar tier with Strome/Hanifin)

Zacha / Rantanen (Big guys with skill. I give the very slight edge to Zacha because he's had an extra year to assimilate to NA)

Connor (Has the talent but can you say he's proven anything in the league he's in? probably not worth #6 in this draft)
Barzal (his lack of goal scoring is a major concern)

Werenski (high skilled but too much of a project for #6)
Crouse (Plays an NHL game but may not be skilled enough for #6)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My eyes are on Brazal, Rantanen, Crouse & Meier...

It comes down to Brazal and Rantanen for me.

I select Brazal....

Heading in, I was more for Rantanen as he presents a unique threat if he lives up to his potential...

The more I read about Brazal, the more I read that he's a fighter and a tremendous playmaker, able to make his teammates better.... It came down to risk or safe as I look back on my rationale so maybe I defaulted and went safe....

Those two are my intended with the presented scenario, Brazal edging Rantanen ATM.

Go Devils!

No love for Zacha huh?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if the top 5 go
mcdavid/ehicle/strome/marner/hanifin

i would go with brazel. north american and a playmaker center is what this team needs.

if hanifin is there i would take hanifin over him. i know we dont "need" defense but i'm not really sure you can pass up on someone like that.

more then likely though those are the top 5 that will be taken. you can also really make an argument for the devils to take provopov at #6. i would be amazed if the flyers and jackets dont take defense so you k now they would be interested in maybe trading up? let the devils slide down to spots and then you can look at taking a play like miko ratitean or crouse or even zacha.