• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Detroit Lions draft picks thoughts and comments........

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are stacked offensively, do you think Pettigrew or someone else might be on the trading block?

No, not really. Ebron and BP technically play the same position but will contribute in completely different ways. That said, Id hope we'd take a 7th for Durham. And that they still would listen to offers on Suh. Even though they missed the boat completely on getting any value for him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are stacked offensively, do you think Pettigrew or someone else might be on the trading block?

Can't imagine anyone of any real worth is on the trading block. Pettigrew fills a specific role and is really the only two-way TE on our roster.

The only guy that comes to mind is Kris Durham. His value is in his height (tallest WR in the league) and speed (4.42 40 coming out of Georgia a few years ago), but he's been underwhelming thus far, despite increased playing time last season. I think he could be had for a 6th or 7th round pick now that we drafted that WR from ND...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not really. Ebron and BP technically play the same position but will contribute in completely different ways. That said, Id hope we'd take a 7th for Durham. And that they still would listen to offers on Suh. Even though they missed the boat completely on getting any value for him.

Good God. I swear I didn't read you post before mine went up. That's creepy homes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God. I swear I didn't read you post before mine went up. That's creepy homes.

Ha! Seems were on the same page on this one. Im liking the Ebron pick more and more. But.... I do love me some tight ends though. So.... that might not come as a surprise. (Im not attached to Williams in the slightest. But Im starting to let myself think of him filling Reifs role from 2012, with more H-Back sets. I really like the versatility we have with backs and ends now.)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Williams is kept simply because he's our only other in-line TE. Fauria will back-up Ebron as the "giant slot receiver" TE in our system, and Williams will cover for Pettigrew in the combo role, imo.

I also think there's an outside shot Williams slowly gets transitioned to OT over a season or two. He's more of an extra offensive lineman who might catch the odd pass than he is a TE who is a really good blocker...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having such a variety of TEs is huge. Pettigrew is better in a role that he wont really be asked to to the things he did before. Pettigrew might be running free pretty often in this offense as teams may forget about him.

#Ebron

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We keep all of the TEs. Lions may have have the best group in the league. I think Ebron takes one of the WR spots.

I can see that hapeening. He will be used as both for where he lines up. Wait for it..... just like Jimmy.

Carry 4 WR's and if one is hurt during game. Use Ebron strictly in WR type sets. Ebron is dinged up still got the ever elusive Fauria there.:L

Collins addition along with Ebron adds many new wrinkles to alignment and use of Pettigrew or lack there of... Kinda happy it seems the vanilla and predictable style on both sides of ball have left town.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broncosmitty said:
It's like Deja Vu. All over again.

TrustMeIamRight said:
I miss me some Deja Vu. Used to have one in the city of the first college I went to. There isn't enough all nude strip clubs around.:suds:

broncosmitty said:
Portage Road in Kalamazoo?

or say Vegas, "paradise road" ..just sayin', right club on perfectly named street, IMO :nod:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMeIamRight said:
I will say -- I am with Gandy in regards to the OL situation. The only OL I would have wanted the Lions to get was long gone before they even thought about drafting. Robinson is the one guy who I believe could have made the Lions a dominant OL, based on his run blocking. With him and Warford -- I think the Lions could have forced teams to bring their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, which would have opened up the vertical passing game. Even though I am a huge Michigan fan -- I didn't want to see Lewan, as while I think he would be better as pass protection than our tackles, I don't think he would have added an element that would have made it worth spending a top 10 pick on when the OL we have played well last year.

and Guess what the Rams are goin' 2 do with OT Robinson. He's starting out as the LG... which I personally have no problem with, even with him being drafted so high. Robinson came from a zone read option college team, that could mean he has a lot of catching up to do at the pro level outside of the normal transition for any/all players. He has all the physical tools, measurements, but to think he could come in on any team and start at LT might be asking a lot.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'll stop trying to convince you of it but Ebron will be a problem on the field. The guy can line up anywhere. He also caught TE screens and things like that at NC. Ebron played with terrible qbs and didnt have any other real threats to help him out. I wouldnt worry about his drop rate at all. Those things can be corrected.

No team is going to trade down if they like the player they are getting well enough. The Rams, Houston and Jacksonville stayed put and they all were said to have offers.

not true at all unless you think every college team should have a Andrew Luck.

UNC QB Bryn Renner had good touch, ball placement, he also had his moments or entire games where he wasn't so good, just like many college players do.

Ebron lacked concentration at the worse conceivable time.

I don't think many watch a lot of college foosball.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having such a variety of TEs is huge. Pettigrew is better in a role that he wont really be asked to to the things he did before. Pettigrew might be running free pretty often in this offense as teams may forget about him.

#Ebron

Pettigrew aint no burner, but he has enough to make the 1st guy miss and can be a good chain-mover as a dump-off option and security blanket.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is, of course, football 101. offensive left tackles are worth much, much, much, much, much, much more than TEs(and that's why they're paid like it). When you have an 8/10 LT like Lewan available and an 8/10TE available and neither are a pressing need, you take the tackle. Waddle was fine last year, even good, but thinking one season turns an UDFA into a 10-year starter may be a bit optimistic, and we have no depth on the OL, where guys get hurt. A quality tackle like Lewan or Martin would have been smarter than Ebron unless Ebron turns into the next Antonio Gates (I doubt he'll be Graham). The alligator arms in college for a guy who doesn't block makes him a coin toss, not a sure thing.

And so, for the record, if you have a chance to upgrade MLB or CB, you upgrade CB because the position is more valuable. If you can upgrade DE or fullback, you upgrade the DE. If you can upgrade OT or TE, you upgrade OT.

I'm afraid this group isn't ready for football 101.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That does it. If the Lions trade Suh, I hope it's for Lewan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we didnt take ritchie incogni.....eh i mean lewan....the last thing this team needed was a player with character issues....

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in chapter 12 of Football for Dummies. Couple more and I might be ready.

Man... this whole "route tree" thing in chapter 7 is killing me. I didn't realize the split ends ran specific route patterns- I thought they were just trying to do what they could to get open...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure. You want him? Who do you have in the secondary?

Last edited by a moderator:

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Seems were on the same page on this one. Im liking the Ebron pick more and more. But.... I do love me some tight ends though. So.... that might not come as a surprise. (Im not attached to Williams in the slightest. But Im starting to let myself think of him filling Reifs role from 2012, with more H-Back sets. I really like the versatility we have with backs and ends now.)

If Ebron can put some muscle on his frame and develop some NFL run blocking skills, the guy will be an absolute monster. He is going to be very difficult to cover as it is.