• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Detroit Lions draft picks thoughts and comments........

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure he will add some muscle, as Lions coaches and trainers will make sure of. Blocking? His role in the offense may only call for a limited amount of blocking. We have Pettigrew and Williams for that.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of Watkins or Mack falling to 10th the fan base would find something to find fault in.

Ebron, Fuller, Dennard, Lewan, Dix, or Pryor at 10 would be unknown questionable outcomes. After the Vikings took Barr the whole board was fubar IMO. You take the best wild ass guess you can.

Mayhew and Xanders get paid to know. I do not like a TE at 10 but I didn't spend 100s of hours looking at prospects tape and doing interviews. That doesn't strip my right to complain about the pick if he turns into Pettigrew 2.0 though! lol

As I come to grips with the draft I still question why not take the allotted time. Maybe the Cowboys get antsy and make a offer, or Cleveland decides to jump up for Manziel earlier than they did! I would have taken Dennard at 16 with an extra 3rd and 5th rounder.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like LucklessPadresFan's idea. Let's trade Pettigrew. Maybe we can swindle a team into giving up a halfway decent safety or corner for him.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like LucklessPadresFan's idea. Let's trade Pettigrew. Maybe we can swindle a team into giving up a halfway decent safety or corner for him.

Maybe we can swindle a team into giving us a sixth-rounder next year in exchange for taking on his salary and then we can sign a defensive back or put a bit more year one money into Suh's extension and lessen the future cap numbers.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we didnt take ritchie incogni.....eh i mean lewan....the last thing this team needed was a player with character issues....

You wouldn't want our LT of the future to have a little tattooed mustache on his finger?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in chapter 12 of Football for Dummies. Couple more and I might be ready.

The only way that makes me feel any better, is if Mayhew is going through it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't want our LT of the future to have a little tattooed mustache on his finger?

Okay, now Im starting to understand the mustache finger reference. Did that piece of trash really get his index finger inked up? (I honestly hope for shitty things in his future. Normally that's not how I roll. But it is with Lewan.)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know this

Detroit Lions will have separate defensive end designations in new scheme | MLive.com

Following the conclusion of the 2014 NFL draft, general manager Martin Mayhew also explained that the Lions will have two defensive end designations, sharing how he envisioned the team's current players fitting into those roles.
"We're going to play a closed end and open end this year," Mayhew said. "We'll have an end on the tight end side. He'll be on the closed side. He'll be a bigger, more-physical, Jason Jones-type of guy. Then on the open side, we'll have Ziggy (Ansah) over there, and we think Larry (Webster) has an opportunity to compete over there as well.

The open side of the formation will be where Detroit can continue to incorporate the Wide-9 alignment. That positioning will allow Ansah and Webster to test opposing tackles with their speed and length in one-on-one situations.
It remains unclear where the Lions envision playing Devin Taylor, the roster's other big, rangy end. Like Ansah, Taylor has both exceptional speed for his size and the bulk and strength to excel against the run on the closed side of the formation.
We can also expect to see the Lions run more five-man fronts this year, with a linebacker, likely Van Noy, in a two-point stance at the line of scrimmage, next to the closed end to the strongside of the formation