• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Detroit Lions draft picks thoughts and comments........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, for all the negative stats you love to research and copy and paste, one would think you could google the very thing you're asking about. This is twice you've questioned lionstop. We get it, you hate the a Ebron pick. But maybe you could start believing what he has to say? Damn man.

All I did was ask to read the article. That is all. I did try to google it and couldn't find it.

And yes -- I believe you he said that

I even made sure to type this so people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch. Damn man, lighten up.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Column: Eric Ebron discusses new Detroit Lions teammates, 'Eight Mile,' and state tax law | MLive.com

You know, for all the negative stats you love to research and copy and paste, one would think you could google the very thing you're asking about. This is twice you've questioned lionstop. We get it, you hate the a Ebron pick. But maybe you could start believing what he has to say? Damn man.

Lol. I thought the same thing. I won't make up something like that knowing that someone might question it or research it. Its obvious they like Ebron much more than some of the fans do.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Lions would have taken Evans. I know I did not like him at all. Looks like a plotter to me. He will not win a ton of those jump balls against NFL corners like he did in college. Never got any separation at that level so how is he going to do it at this one. I think he is a case of a guy who plays much slower than his 40 time. Glad he was gone.

Lions didnt even show a ton of interest in Evans as they did Ebron and Watkins. When Ebron left his visit with them, he felt really good about being a Lion. Im very curious to know where they had the defenders rated and if Cleveland and the Vikings changed their plans any.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure why some of you think Mayhew continues to lie to the fans? For what? I dont believe everything I hear but I wouldnt doubt a whole lot of what he has said. He said he tried to move up bit they didnt find a deal that was good enough. The Watkins thing was very real.

When it came to Evans, the fans and the media were under the assumption that he was high or their list too. Is it that hard to believe that Ebron was high on their list?

I just believe any GM, not just Mayhew, is going to say the right thing regarding their draft picks, especially a first round pick, to make the fans and media happy. They want excitement about the pick and even if Ebron was rated 10th on the board -- he wouldn't admit it.

It isn't about 'telling a lie' -- It is about getting off on the right foot with the player you just drafted. Everyone knows Sammy Watkins was at the top of their list. When you are introducing the player you just selected -- the last thing you want to say is -- he was our 3rd choice. As little as it may seem -- I'm sure these players want to feel wanted by the team's taking them and by stating they had him as the #2 offensive player on their board -- I'm sure he made him feel good to hear that. Whether it is true or not -- Only those in the Lions draft room know.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I did was ask to read the article. That is all. I did try to google it and couldn't find it.

I even made sure to type this so people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch. Damn man, lighten up.

I'm calm as can be. Just tired of you not believing shit. I googled "Ebron says lions promised to draft him". Guess what came up first? You guessed it, the article I linked. Maybe your google skills need some work? Either that or you have the negative version.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im very curious to know where they had the defenders rated and if Cleveland and the Vikings changed their plans any.

A lot of fans would love to know, but unfortunately, I don't think Mayhew and the Lions will ever make a comment in regards to their draft board. It would be awesome if team's draft boards became public once the draft was completed to see how teams rated different players.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that we dont really like the guy, but are we really sure there was better options?

I noticed Lewan thrown out there. These might be the same guys that say he was a upgrade over Waddle and make the OL better. These also might be the same guys that say why upgrade the TE spot when you have 3 on the roster and Fauria did fine last year. As if Waddle did not. (disclaimer I did advocate for Robinson for said reason)

The other name was Donald. Funny thing about all 3 of these guys. two were upgrades and Donald maybe over Fairley or just a 3rd wheel and then replacement for Fairley.

My guy by the time draft got here was Dix. He might have been a upgrade over Ibedhigo.

The one spot of OLB would have been instant upgrade. However, now we would hear they reached at 10 for said guy. IMO good move to wait and they got Van Noy still a instant upgrade.

Lewan, Donald and Ebron to me all would have upgraded their positions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calm as can be. Just tired of you not believing shit.

Once again -- maybe your reading comprehension needs some work. I posted this before asking for the link.

And yes -- I believe you he said that

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calm as can be. Just tired of you not believing shit. I googled "Ebron says lions promised to draft him". Guess what came up first? You guessed it, the article I linked. Maybe your google skills need some work? Either that or you have the negative version.

Negative google:laugh3:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again -- maybe your reading comprehension needs some work. I posted this before asking for the link.

Last edited by Microwahevo; Today at 09:03 PM. Reason: Saying you believe him but saying you find it humorous kinda contradicts your "belief".

My reading comprehension is just fine. I copied what I wrote in my edit box. Just bc you put some lame ass disclaimer out there doesn't mean you truly believe him. I've seen enough of your writing to know that.

It is what it is man. I've said my peace. Moving on.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK -- you are crazy.:suds: Mayhew, himself, stated they had to change their plans in the 4th round as they had a list of guys they wanted to get, but then 8 or 9 defensive backs were drafted ahead of their pick in the 4th round. So do I think they saw something in him? Yes. Do I think he was the guy the Lions had their eyes on for the 4th round? No. IMO, they made the pick in the 4th because 18 or 19 other cornerbacks were off the board already after the huge run in the 4th and they needed to address the position. If they didn't grab him in the 4th -- who knows what would be left in the 5th, as CB's were going fast and furious.

I need to see where Mayhew said this. I mean I believe you and all. I just need to see it. My google couldn't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Lewan thrown out there. These might be the same guys that say he was a upgrade over Waddle and make the OL better. These also might be the same guys that say why upgrade the TE spot when you have 3 on the roster and Fauria did fine last year. As if Waddle did not. (disclaimer I did advocate for Robinson for said reason)

The other name was Donald. Funny thing about all 3 of these guys. two were upgrades and Donald maybe over Fairley or just a 3rd wheel and then replacement for Fairley.

My guy by the time draft got here was Dix. He might have been a upgrade over Ibedhigo.

The one spot of OLB would have been instant upgrade. However, now we would hear they reached at 10 for said guy. IMO good move to wait and they got Van Noy still a instant upgrade.

With the way the draft played out in front of the Lions -- I understand the reasons for making the pick, but I guess I'm not as sure as others that he is going to be a player who creates mismatches all over the field. I also hated hearing how he led all TE's with the highest drop rate, as that killed so many drives for the Lions last year, it was frustrating.

I will be the first to say -- If he can correct that problem and turns into a sure handed receiver for the offense, I think he will be an extremely valuable asset.

The option I wanted the Lions to use at #10 was to trade down and acquire picks. That is why it was frustrating to see them turn their pick in immediately following the 9th pick. Why not run the clock down and see if any offers come in? It surely wouldn't hurt to do this. Even if they were 99.9% positive that Ebron was their pick -- Maybe a team is desperate to move up and willing to part with valuable picks to do so.

I will say -- I am with Gandy in regards to the OL situation. The only OL I would have wanted the Lions to get was long gone before they even thought about drafting. Robinson is the one guy who I believe could have made the Lions a dominant OL, based on his run blocking. With him and Warford -- I think the Lions could have forced teams to bring their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, which would have opened up the vertical passing game. Even though I am a huge Michigan fan -- I didn't want to see Lewan, as while I think he would be better as pass protection than our tackles, I don't think he would have added an element that would have made it worth spending a top 10 pick on when the OL we have played well last year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see where Mayhew said this. I mean I believe you and all. I just need to see it. My google couldn't find it.

WTF? I'm sick of you not believing me. You must have negative google or something. You are just contradicting yourself with your comments. It is what it is. I'm moving on.:suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like Deja Vu.

I miss me some Deja Vu. Used to have one in the city of the first college I went to. There isn't enough all nude strip clubs around.:suds:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way the draft played out in front of the Lions -- I understand the reasons for making the pick, but I guess I'm not as sure as others that he is going to be a player who creates mismatches all over the field. I also hated hearing how he led all TE's with the highest drop rate, as that killed so many drives for the Lions last year, it was frustrating.

I will be the first to say -- If he can correct that problem and turns into a sure handed receiver for the offense, I think he will be an extremely valuable asset.

The option I wanted the Lions to use at #10 was to trade down and acquire picks. That is why it was frustrating to see them turn their pick in immediately following the 9th pick. Why not run the clock down and see if any offers come in? It surely wouldn't hurt to do this. Even if they were 99.9% positive that Ebron was their pick -- Maybe a team is desperate to move up and willing to part with valuable picks to do so.

I will say -- I am with Gandy in regards to the OL situation. The only OL I would have wanted the Lions to get was long gone before they even thought about drafting. Robinson is the one guy who I believe could have made the Lions a dominant OL, based on his run blocking. With him and Warford -- I think the Lions could have forced teams to bring their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, which would have opened up the vertical passing game. Even though I am a huge Michigan fan -- I didn't want to see Lewan, as while I think he would be better as pass protection than our tackles, I don't think he would have added an element that would have made it worth spending a top 10 pick on when the OL we have played well last year.

I guess I'll stop trying to convince you of it but Ebron will be a problem on the field. The guy can line up anywhere. He also caught TE screens and things like that at NC. Ebron played with terrible qbs and didnt have any other real threats to help him out. I wouldnt worry about his drop rate at all. Those things can be corrected.

No team is going to trade down if they like the player they are getting well enough. The Rams, Houston and Jacksonville stayed put and they all were said to have offers.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite pick for the draft position is AJ Jones. We get a WR with something on his resume besides an overactive pituitary gland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is, of course, football 101. offensive left tackles are worth much, much, much, much, much, much more than TEs(and that's why they're paid like it). When you have an 8/10 LT like Lewan available and an 8/10TE available and neither are a pressing need, you take the tackle. Waddle was fine last year, even good, but thinking one season turns an UDFA into a 10-year starter may be a bit optimistic, and we have no depth on the OL, where guys get hurt. A quality tackle like Lewan or Martin would have been smarter than Ebron unless Ebron turns into the next Antonio Gates (I doubt he'll be Graham). The alligator arms in college for a guy who doesn't block makes him a coin toss, not a sure thing.

And so, for the record, if you have a chance to upgrade MLB or CB, you upgrade CB because the position is more valuable. If you can upgrade DE or fullback, you upgrade the DE. If you can upgrade OT or TE, you upgrade OT.