• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 St. Louis Cardinals thread

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no Mitchell Boggs fan but I almost feel sorry for the guy. I haven't heard any reaction but surely there was anger in the stands last night that Mujica lost his job?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mujica & Rosenthal were given the day off (both pitched in 4 straight days leading up to yesterdays game)

Still Mujica's job, as he is 17/17 in save opportunities, and I guess in Sept/Oct when he is still going strong I will appreciate the days he got off throughout the season, it just sucks as a fan when everyone in the stadium knows to NOT put Boggs in a 1-run lead game, except Mike Matheny

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seeing allot of talk around the net where other baseball fans are under the impression that Mujica lost the job back to Boggs again. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyone else watching the Cubs game?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mujica had stated before the game started than Matheny had already informed him he would be unavailable. As SmokingMonkey said I think Mujica is in the same situation he was 24 hours ago.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just now seeing that the game did not end until 3 a.m central last night. Did anyone go, and, did you stay through the whole ordeal?

Got home to Columbia at about 5:40 this morning. When I got out on Clark Street after the game I checked my phone and it said 3:16. It was a long but memorable night.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no Mitchell Boggs fan but I almost feel sorry for the guy. I haven't heard any reaction but surely there was anger in the stands last night that Mujica lost his job?

There was certainly anger in the stands; that's for sure. I almost feel sorry for him, too, as it's quite rare for Cardinals fans to boo their own. But Boggs failed miserably in his last stint as the closer, and I saw no reason to believe he'd be any better even after his time in Memphis. I understand Matheny wanted to give Edward Mujica and Trevor Rosenthal a rest. They certainly earned it- Mujica is 17/17 in save opportunities and Rosenthal is extremely stingy as the set-up man.

But I was absolutely gobsmacked when Matheny put Boggs in the game in the ninth. I realize there weren't many other options. Joe Kelly wasn't exactly a surefire option, but he wasn't a surefire gas can like Boggs, either. Or why not leave Seth Maness in the game since he got the last out of the eighth? Or why not give the ball to Jose Oquendo? He did pitch once, after all, and he couldn't do any worse than Mitchell Boggs. Unfortunately for Matheny and Boggs, the rain didn't come quite soon enough.

Never mind the game or the result- this just seemed like the wrong time for Boggs to find his confidence again. He'll do it, eventually, but I think it might require a change of scenery.

Mujica & Rosenthal were given the day off (both pitched in 4 straight days leading up to yesterdays game)

Still Mujica's job, as he is 17/17 in save opportunities, and I guess in Sept/Oct when he is still going strong I will appreciate the days he got off throughout the season, it just sucks as a fan when everyone in the stadium knows to NOT put Boggs in a 1-run lead game, except Mike Matheny

Agreed. It must be the worst decision Matheny has made as manager so far, especially when he's made all of the right moves most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm late about the Boggs ordeal, but I'd just like to say that I feel bad for Boggs. He was put in a tough spot for someone that hasn't been pitching great. I doubt many people were surprised by the outcome. Mujica needed the rest, but I'm not sure why Maness wasn't left in to finish the 9th.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I still can't figure out why Matheny put Boggs into such a high-risk situation when the goal was to get his confidence back. Matheny is so player-focused- I think he has a special relationship with many of the players and that is what enables him to get exceptional results out of great players (Molina, Beltran, Wainwright, etc.) and great results out of good players (just as Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan did for years). And that's why the decision to put Boggs into a tight but very winnable game is the most puzzling decision he's made so far as manager in my opinion.

Moving onto more recent developments, what's the take on Yadier Molina's suspension? In my opinion, Yadi is the premier catcher in the league if not the game overall, especially now that he backs up his stellar defensive capabilities with consistently strong performance at the plate (he still leads the NL in average so far). He plays with a lot of passion and emotion. So I didn't think anything of it when he threw his helmet down after being thrown out at first base. And I couldn't believe the umpire tossed him out immediately, especially since he was expressing disappointment in himself and not arguing the call (which was debatable in my opinion anyway).

Of course, throwing your helmet down is not the most professional or artful thing to do by any means, but showing emotion is not exactly anything new. You could even argue that the umpire had a right to throw out Molina after he bumped into him, but that still doesn't explain the quick trigger after Molina threw down his helmet. So, what gives?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I still can't figure out why Matheny put Boggs into such a high-risk situation when the goal was to get his confidence back. Matheny is so player-focused- I think he has a special relationship with many of the players and that is what enables him to get exceptional results out of great players (Molina, Beltran, Wainwright, etc.) and great results out of good players (just as Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan did for years). And that's why the decision to put Boggs into a tight but very winnable game is the most puzzling decision he's made so far as manager in my opinion.

Moving onto more recent developments, what's the take on Yadier Molina's suspension? In my opinion, Yadi is the premier catcher in the league if not the game overall, especially now that he backs up his stellar defensive capabilities with consistently strong performance at the plate (he still leads the NL in average so far). He plays with a lot of passion and emotion. So I didn't think anything of it when he threw his helmet down after being thrown out at first base. And I couldn't believe the umpire tossed him out immediately, especially since he was expressing disappointment in himself and not arguing the call (which was debatable in my opinion anyway).

Of course, throwing your helmet down is not the most professional or artful thing to do by any means, but showing emotion is not exactly anything new. You could even argue that the umpire had a right to throw out Molina after he bumped into him, but that still doesn't explain the quick trigger after Molina threw down his helmet. So, what gives?

I thought the ejection was ridiculous. Apparently, in MiLB players get tossed for showing emotion like that, and it was a minor league umpire so it is a little more excusable than i originally thought. I wasn't as surprised by the suspension, but I still didn't really agree with it.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone, including the umps, is tired of Molina's "it's all about me" act. There's a history there and the umps are sick of his acting out.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone, including the umps, is tired of Molina's "it's all about me" act. There's a history there and the umps are sick of his acting out.

I don't see it so much even if I admit that Yadi's on-field performance is a bit more captivating than his personality. But Pujols? Oh yeah- he's an insufferable prick. :laugh3:

At least it's just a one game suspension. I wouldn't be shocked if Molina drops the appeal and sits out before the upcoming road trip that starts this weekend against the Reds. I think an extra day of rest isn't entirely a bad thing for him anyway with the season he's had- and he'll be well-rested when he faces his adoring fans in Cincinnati.

:laugh3:

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Cardinals just lost to the Diamondbacks in 14 innings. Never mind the game- I'm exhausted, and I'm going to hate life in the morning!

It was a crazy game in some ways. It probably would've been over a long time ago- and the D-backs probably would've won anyway- if it wasn't for that call at third base. Even the Cardinals' homer announcers had to admit Beltran was out at third, especially when Stevie Wonder could have made the same call. It seemed like everyone had it figured out but the umpire. But the call was safe, the inning continued, and the Cardinals tied the game, which went on and on and on...

And how long was the game, exactly? Ask Matt Carpenter- he got pegged with the ball three times by Arizona pitchers. Apparently he now holds the dubious honor of being the only Cardinals player to be hit by pitches three times in one game. He needs a lot of ice, and he'd better sleep on his right side tonight. That really sucks!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Cardinals just lost to the Diamondbacks in 14 innings. Never mind the game- I'm exhausted, and I'm going to hate life in the morning!

It was a crazy game in some ways. It probably would've been over a long time ago- and the D-backs probably would've won anyway- if it wasn't for that call at third base. Even the Cardinals' homer announcers had to admit Beltran was out at third, especially when Stevie Wonder could have made the same call. It seemed like everyone had it figured out but the umpire. But the call was safe, the inning continued, and the Cardinals tied the game, which went on and on and on...

And how long was the game, exactly? Ask Matt Carpenter- he got pegged with the ball three times by Arizona pitchers. Apparently he now holds the dubious honor of being the only Cardinals player to be hit by pitches three times in one game. He needs a lot of ice, and he'd better sleep on his right side tonight. That really sucks!

I watched the end of that game and I don't remember seeing a team lose a regular season game and look so exhausted and dejected as the Cardinals did that one. Those sorts of losses have to be the worst.

Here's an interesting stat on Shelby Miller.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the end of that game and I don't remember seeing a team lose a regular season game and look so exhausted and dejected as the Cardinals did that one. Those sorts of losses have to be the worst.

Here's an interesting stat on Shelby Miller.

Agreed. Thankfully (for me at least, haha) the Cardinals bounced back and won the last game with Arizona and the first game against Cincinnati in very convincing fashion.

I really wish I could make it to Great American Ballpark this season. These Cardinals-Reds series are the best!

Shelby Miller is off to a great start- I just hope he has a much longer career than Mr. Costello!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see Miller live up to all the hype after Rasmus busted. And I by live up to hype, I mean exceed. Shelby Miller is awesome

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelby is tied for 5th in the NL in wins, I'll take that any day out of a 22 year-old.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
extra innings win on Sunday Night Baseball? Looked like another great save opp for Mujica until Holliday smashed that slam off that rookie. Poor guy, comes in to try and clean up (yet another) Hoover mess, and gets roasted by Holliday. That was long gone, the second it went off his bat.

Beat Cincy in every series so far this year, has to sting when they thought this was 'their year' coming into the season. They'll be better off next year with a new manager, Baker sucks and needs to go.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not have to be pretty. It just has to work.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graceful isn't exactly Master Allen's middle name, but he gets the job done. Just gotta keep on chugging and not look at anything but the next series.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not have to be pretty. It just has to work.

That's awesome. I love how Craig immediately put his cap back on once he realized the ball was still in the glove.

Miller piled up 10 Ks tonight, but unfortunately, the home runs also piled up for the Mets. Can't win 'em all, of course. And I'm still experiencing the glow of beating the Mets soundly last night and Sunday night's extra innings win against Cincinnati.