• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Football Injuries Thread

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My impression was that SE tended to be bigger and more possession oriented. Guys like Boykin, Coles, and Irick and Caleb in the future. Stanford may be listed there so he will get reps in practice and because Knowles and Asante are not goot fits for the position.

And I wouldn't mind playing Stanford, especially if Dyrell doesn't impress. I hope I don't have to change my avatar :(
Stanford should see the field this weekend. Dude has the "it" factor.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burning a RS for mop up duty isnt worth it. WR is a position that it comes down to experience with the QB more than game experience. He will get the QB experience in the spring and fall camps next year. Unless he is going to play meaningful snaps I would say keep his RS alive. We have MD, Dyrell and Fuller with Knowles likely to see more time now. Being the 5th/6th receiver is not worth it.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Id say your argument is valid for Caleb obviously, but I'd play Stanford. It would be great to get him game experience considering we loose Dyrell and Fuller next year.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think game experience is over rated for a WR. You learn the routes, reads, and timing in practice, not from the game. In 4 years do you think it would be worth Stanford leaving because he played some mop up duties or having a potentially huge R-Sr year?

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks about DJ...I heard the rumors flying around about a medical redshirt a few days ago, but didn't think there was much behind it at the time.

Also, I'd play Stanford over Davis instead of Roberts...Davis is just not consistent enough. It's like Jekyll and Hide out there...that said, we shouldn't burn the redshirt of Stanford. I think we've got enough with Fuller, Roberts, Knowles, Davis, and Asante to compete (as of right now, that's how I would rank them too). Also, if we ever go back to throwing the ball to the RB, there's that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks about DJ...I heard the rumors flying around about a medical redshirt a few days ago, but didn't think there was much behind it at the time.

Also, I'd play Stanford over Davis instead of Roberts...Davis is just not consistent enough. It's like Jekyll and Hide out there...

Well that would sure send him a message... I'm for it!

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are being way too hard on Marcus Davis, he doesn't deserve to be benched for his effort last game. I can see how it would be hard to go from the limited targets he had behind Boykin and Coale to being the most targeted on the team. I think those screen passes will come with a little more experience, he didn't get a lot of those in years past.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can start Marshall and Wilson over Collins and Gayle then we can start Fuller over Davis. I'd only do it for the Austin Peay game though unless he really is the 3rd best receiver on our team.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are being way too hard on Marcus Davis, he doesn't deserve to be benched for his effort last game. I can see how it would be hard to go from the limited targets he had behind Boykin and Coale to being the most targeted on the team. I think those screen passes will come with a little more experience, he didn't get a lot of those in years past.

I think people are upset because he doesn't go 100% on every play. Last year there were several plays where he simply jogged routes (Randy Moss'd if you will). I personally hoped that with him being a #1 WR this year, he would go harder every play, but it happened again on Monday night. We have all heard he's a physical freak, but I don't think we've seen his full potential because he isn't going hard play-in and play-out.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Roberts jogging around several times. On pass plays, he seemed to quit once the ball was thrown to another receiver, instead of blocking and trailing on the play. I think the play were Fuller jumped on the Davis fumble was one of them...Roberts should have been there before Fuller.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot was made of Corey's reluctance to run over the middle. But he sure went full speed all night and made plays all over the field

BornaHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Corey will be this years break out player, no concerns with him on the field. As for Davis I don't think this shoulder injury was his first this year. Not all injuries are made public. On Stanford I say go ahead and play him, over the next couple of weeks he should get plenty of reps. Only 1 injury from playing anyways.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ahh...I don't think that real-game experience is overrated for any position on the field. It's definitely more important for some positions (QB) and less important for others, but it's GOOD for any position (even a punter who hasn't dealt with the pressure and distraction of 70k fans before). If we had better depth at WR, I'd say OK .. but fact is that we're losing Fuller, Davis, and Roberts, were set to lose Coles. Aside from that next season, we are looking at receivers with a combined number of catches = 1 .. Are we willing to put our faith in Knowles and Asante?? Not yet. We have Irick, Smith, and Caleb in this class as well who will all prep/RS. If Stanford is ready to play, get him some playing time --- as long as it's meaningful snaps ... more for next year than this year.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Irick, Smith, and Caleb in this class as well who will all prep/RS.

This is a good point. Let's spread these WRs out a little, so they're not all graduating together. If Stanford is ready to play, and we need him for depth purposes, burn the shirt and get him some snaps.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we have a deep pool of talented guys coming back next year. All of these with the exception of Coles at this point is VERY unproven. I think there is little doubt IMO that now, Stanford will not redshirt. If he is even our 4th or 5th best receiver (assuming Fuller, Davis, Dyrell and (big maybe) Knowles would be better) then he should play. I have heard nothing about Asante, Smiling, or anyone else that makes me believe they will be a potential starter next year. I am not saying he is anything close and not comparing him to Sammy Watkins, but how explosive would Clemson's offense have been if they would have shirted him last year?? Not nearly as much. Who knows he could end up being something special like that?? Even if he doesn't and only gets valuable playing experience he will still have 3 years to pad his NFL resume and another year of eligibility in the event that he has some unfortunate DJ Coles/Dyrell Roberts type bad luck along the way. I say play him now, make Roberts and Davis compete with him (and the others) every week knowing they are only a few more dropped passes or lazy plays away from being 2nd string...

If he plays this year..he will be better next year. Can't put a price on in game experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I read said Stanford was better than just about every WR we have on the current roster. Burn his shirt. With Coles gone, I'd feel much better tossing in Stanford's talent in a platoon of WRs than just trying to grind it out. We can win now. No sense in saving his eligibility for 3 to 4 years down the road.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Everything I read said Stanford was better than just about every WR we have on the current roster. Burn his shirt. With Coles gone, I'd feel much better tossing in Stanford's talent in a platoon of WRs than just trying to grind it out. We can win now. No sense in saving his eligibility for 3 to 4 years down the road.
Stanford is a game changer for sure. The world will know this weekend. The passing at his hs was crazy!

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford is a game changer for sure. The world will know this weekend. The passing at his hs was crazy!

Sure was.... you ever see Blake Tibbs that played for King last year? He was a beast.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
fwiw i think fuller will become a bigger and bigger part of the offense as the season goes along. Like i said in one of the pre-season threads: he and LT seem to have better chemistry than LT and any of the other wr's.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dj Coles announced out for season.... Sigh of relief from uva linebacker Greer.