• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Draft-Free Agency-Offseason Thread

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46. Anyway you can sticky this? Great idea HokieHi!

It has been an exciting year as a Redskins fan. I never dreamed that we would win the NFCBeast in RG3's 1st year at the helm, but that is exactly what happened. 10-6 completed exceeded my expectations. Any playoff win would have been icing on top after sending Romo, Jerry, and the entire Cowboys fanbase crying in their glasses of "Super Bowl Bound Every Year/ America's Team" flavored Kool-Aid.

Sucks that RG3 ended the season on such a sour note. Sounds like he has a partially torn LCL/ACL. We will wait on the prognosis from Dr. Andrews but he should probably have surgery, and I think he won't lose a step. He and the rest of the Offense has had a great year (notably Morris, Garcon (when he was healthy) and surprisingly the line). Defense played great in the second half of the year. Still there is always room for improvement. Not sure who will be available in FA but it is still obvious to me that the OL needs to continue to get better and deeper, and the secondary desperately needs an overhaul.
We also need to look at continuing to add depth at Linebacker and DL.

We will never know who this team (or others) will pick outside of maybe the 1st round, Top 15 players. One monkeywrench thrown in and that is all it takes for teams to start going with "Best player available" at a position of need. But it is still fun to talk about. Some notable players I will be keeping my eyes on that I believe could certainly help our beloved Skins.

David Amerson CB/S NCState (Projected Round 1-3)
Bacarri Rambo S UGA (PR 2-3)
Robert Lester S Bama (PR 2-3)
Desmond Trufant CB Washington (2-3)
Alonzo Tweedy S/Special Teams Demon Virginia Tech(PR 7-UFA)

Not sure about these guys and the Redskins System...
Tom Wort ILB Oklahoma (PR 4-6)
Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech (PR 4-6)
Also need to add some guys. Preferably OL/CB in FA.

Also, As much as I like Kirk Cousins..there may be some genuine interest for him from other teams. I say if (and only if) someone offers a Second rounder for him..Shanny should go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources -- Robert Griffin III of Washington Redskins to have ACL, LCL surgery, could be ready for opener - ESPN

Well, It is what we thought it was. He should be ready to go by 2013 season IMO. Even though his running ability is a integral part of this offense and his skillset, Shanahan is going to have to find a way to get the same out of him, while protecting him a little bit better. When you run, it (knee injuries) is just the nature of the biz. Elway and Young were both pass first mobile QBs who didn't have any significant injuries that I can remember during their careers. Shanny needs to have Griffin play more like they did.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources -- Robert Griffin III of Washington Redskins to have ACL, LCL surgery, could be ready for opener - ESPN

Well, It is what we thought it was. He should be ready to go by 2013 season IMO. Even though his running ability is a integral part of this offense and his skillset, Shanahan is going to have to find a way to get the same out of him, while protecting him a little bit better. When you run, it (knee injuries) is just the nature of the biz. Elway and Young were both pass first mobile QBs who didn't have any significant injuries that I can remember during their careers. Shanny needs to have Griffin play more like they did.

At this point, even if he starts the first regular season game, I'm not expecting the same player we've come to admire for atleast a month or so. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do, but I'm really not expecting it.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have a list or know who all is a free agent?

Also, I know the Skins have two 5th round picks(Haynesworth trade), i cant remember if we got an additional 6th rounder for McNabb

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins have 7 picks 2,3,4,5(2),6, & 7

Redskins 2013 draft picks ? Blogging the bEast

Here is a short list of FA.

NFL Trade Rumors - Top 50 - NFL Free Agents 2013 - NFL Trade Rumors

I wouldn't expect Washington to make too many waves with FA this year with the cap situation and BS penalties that were imposed (still fighting but unlikely they will be overturned).

They need to hit a couple secondary position homeruns with the first couple picks IMHO.

Several veteran players from Washington may have to restructure or get cut. D Hall, Jammal Brown, and Santana Moss come to mind. Maybe even Fred Davis (FA) with the emergence of Paulsen and Paul who are not as dynamic, but have played well. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Josh Wilson go.

Washington Redskins Salary Cap Figures

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeAngelo Hall Needs to Take Pay Cut; Move to Safety - Hogs Haven

I :love: this article and idea. I think the writer makes some great points about the importance of D-Hall to the Redskins. Move him to safety where he can still play to his strengths, and hopefully he will take a pay cut (or they will cut him). Dude is overpaid..but he is a passionate player and a leader. Haslett could begin the secondary rebuild with some CBs and another young safety in the first few rounds (Amerson AND Rambo would be the shiz).

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on rolling the dice on Tyrann Mathieu in the 6th/7th round if he is there??

Not sure Shanny would, but I (for one) would be all for it. If he can keep it together he could be pretty special, the next Troy Polamalu IMO. It would be fairly minimal risk IMO at that spot in the draft. If he sucks or fails a piss test or two..no huge loss. I was really, really hoping they would have picked up Vontaze Burfict (very similar situation) last year to work with London Fletcher for a few years. He played lights out this year and looks like he will be around for awhile with the Bengals. Plus, we could ditch Banks (god love him)..he contributes nothing outside of a solid fair catcher.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills released SS George Wilson. Good player, 5-time team captain in BUF, 100 tackles last 2 years. Hope the Skins at least consider him.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins sign NT Ron Brace. Former New England Patriots 2009 2nd round pick. 26-years old.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins sign NT Ron Brace. Former New England Patriots 2009 2nd round pick. 26-years old.

Sounded like a promising prospect but hasn't gotten it done. Good low risk high reward type move (assuming he makes the team??).

From HH...

The Redskins added to their defensive line depth with the signing of former New England Patriot 2nd rounder NT Ron Brace. The Redskins press release announcing the signing highlighted the following:

Brace (6-3, 330) was originally selected by the New England Patriots in the second round (No. 40 overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 39 career regular season games with seven starts. For his career, STATS, LLC credits him with 39 tackles (24 solo) and one forced fumble. He was released by the Patriots on Dec. 29, 2012.

Brace played collegiately at Boston College from 2004-08, starting 40 of the 49 career games in which he appeared. He recorded 85 tackles (50 solo), including 23 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks during his Eagle career and earned All-ACC second team honors following his senior season in 2008.

Brace has been considered a pretty big bust in New England, both due to his lack of production on the field and his inability to stay on it. Brace drew quite a bit of ire from Bill Belicheck about his lack of a work ethic and missing so much training camp time in the past.

While that doesn't bode well for the Redskins, this is a no risk signing for them as I can't imagine there is much (if any) guaranteed money involved. If Brace is healthy and gets his act together he could end up being a solid back-up at the very least. He's listed as a nose tackle, which gives the Redskins some depth there with Chris Neild recovering from a torn ACL and Chris Baker a restricted free agent (and perhaps not as affordable). While it is too early to speculate on his chances of making the roster, Brace does without a doubt bring upside to the table.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds more and more promising that our boy may start the season under center.

Robert Griffin III 'way ahead of schedule' in recovery, according to Dr. James Andrews - ESPN

Hope he stays the course on the last part. There should be absolutely no expectation or pressure for him to be 100% by week 1. I'd love to see it as a fan, but he's ready when he's ready. I took Andrew's assertation that he's "well ahead of schedule" as 'he's on schedule'. Just a little hyperbole on the good doc's part, I think. No biggie as far as I'm concerned, I just hope he doesn't get the average fan's hopes up too high too early.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins linebacker London Fletcher told NFL Network on Tuesday morning that he intends to spend the next few weeks evaluating whether he’ll return for a 16th season.

“It’s really now about seeing if I can get myself physically ready to play at the level that I would like to play,” Fletcher said. “Some guys talk about [how] they’ll play ‘until the wheels fall off.’ I have zero desire to do that. I want to play to the level I’m used to playing.”

Fletcher started all 16 games for the NFC East champions and made a career-high five interceptions. But soon-to-be 38-year-old also played through a litany of injuries, ranging from balance issues to a hamstring strain and a sprained ankle.

Fletcher said there is no deadline for a decision and that the Redskins are not putting any pressure on him to make one. It should also be noted that since the end of the season, Fletcher has made in-studio appearances for ESPN and NFL Network, perhaps hinting at a desire to transition into a career in television after football – whenever he does hang up the cleats.

“I’m still getting myself physically back ready,” Fletcher said, referring to the process of deciding his future. “I start training in a couple of weeks, then I’ll go from there and see, ‘Can I do it at the level I want to do it at?’”....

Fletcher still evaluating future | CSN Washington

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think and hope Fletcher comes back. I also think we will draft a MLB this year and let him learn under Fletcher, long term.

Same here. Love some London.

You can pretty well guarantee every mock draft could be balled up and thrown away after round 1. The latest one I seen( of one of those I follow) has the Skins taking Kevin Reddick UNC MLB in the 4th or 5th. I would like that pick.

Any chance if Teo is there at say, 35-40 (seems very possible now) that Shanny trades up from 50 to get him?? Thoughts??

From what I have read Washington has talked to several mid round CBs (Webb, Mathieu, etc.)

I am wondering what site direction they go with the Round 2 pick.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agency cranking up. Will be interested to see what the Skins do (or don't) in FA with the cap situation the way it is.

Several good articles on Hogshaven this week. I have seen on that site (and a couple others) that Eric Winston is a name to keep an eye on concerning Washington. If they can't clear up some cap space they could go after him. I would be good with that. There is a Day 1 starter at right tackle. Hard to find a Day 1 OL starter in the draft outside of the 1st or 2nd round. At least Washington hasn't had much luck drafting that position in recent years anyway.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins re-sign RFA's Logan Paulsen and Darrell Young to 3-year deals, Rob Jackson to a 1-year deal. Signs point to D-Hall being released.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kory Lichtensteiger agrees to a 5-year deal.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I like the Paulsen, Jackson, and Young signings. Lich had a pretty good year too.

I am torn on the D-Hall situation, as I tend to be a bit sentimental towards Hokies. I would really like to see him come back at a discount, just doesn't seem to be in the Redskins plans. If they do cut him, it won;t be a huge loss.