• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 vs 1989

Which team advances?

Votes: 11 84.6%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can never tell when you are joking...

:confused:

Will you give me 20-1 odds?

I do think Timmy will be much better next year. And I think he'll work this off-season to regain some of his fastball velocity.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will you give me 20-1 odds?

I do think Timmy will be much better next year. And I think he'll work this off-season to regain some of his fastball velocity.

Hell to the no, partly because the chances are better than 20-1 but also because I don't bet against my teams!

I was just trying to gauge the board's feelings about Tim next year. I'll put you in the 'he's going to kick ass as a starter' column.

I'm in the 'he'll be a solid #3 starter but no longer an 'ace' ' column

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to topic...

What is your emotional link comparison between the two teams?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Back to topic...

What is your emotional link comparison between the two teams?

2012: love the fact that they won it all after so many fans counted them out and seemed to actively root against certain young players. The Fuck You factor is big with this team.

1989: best infield defense ever, Will at the peak of his ability, Williams' power bat and soft hands, Mitchell the smiling psycho beast......but they got swept, and never led in the WS. And then backed up 1989 with three disappointing seasons - that taints them for me.

Got to go with the 2012 team, young, good and getting better, and the strong FU factor.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012: love the fact that they won it all after so many fans counted them out and seemed to actively root against certain young players. The Fuck You factor is big with this team.

1989: best infield defense ever, Will at the peak of his ability, Williams' power bat and soft hands, Mitchell the smiling psycho beast......but they got swept, and never led in the WS. And then backed up 1989 with three disappointing seasons - that taints them for me.

Got to go with the 2012 team, young, good and getting better, and the strong FU factor.

Agree with all of this. Plus I like the personalities of 2012 better: Tim, Buster, Beard, Matty, Panda, Scoots, Hunter, Romo, hell even Zito. This may be because the 2012 team is far more recent obviously, and also because we 'know' these guys more with modern media.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herk did some serious damage to his future earning potential - the risk adjustment ratcheted up a couple of notches.

I think so. 3/30 ought to get it done, don't you think?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I added the poll.

Use whatever criteria you want.

Who would win head to head?
Who did I like better?
Who had the better "season"?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted 2012, but I was surprised that it was not more of an easy pick.

1989 was the Giants first World Series appearance in 27 years. That carried a LOT of weight.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted 2012, but I was surprised that it was not more of an easy pick.

1989 was the Giants first World Series appearance in 27 years. That carried a LOT of weight.

1989 saw great seasons from the Pacific Sock Exchange Clark and Mitchell. The kind of year those two guys had makes you think harder about picking against them, but 2012 has a huge edge in pitching and overall team depth, IMO. Also, I love Roger Craig, but Bochy's an elite manager.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012. Can't beat a WS Ring. Also, like msg alluded to, they seemed more likeable (although that carries a heavy asterisk next to current media playing a huge role). Also, even though the weighted averages say they're close, the pitching (both bully and starters) seems to favor the 2012 team. Plus, Clark would have to face off against Affeldt, Lopez and Mijares. Also, I was only 9 years old in 1989, lol, so I don't know how well I really understood baseball back then to fall back on and make a good comparison.

I loved Will Clark on the field, but my off-field experiences with him will never sit well with me.....which jades me. I really liked Williams and Thompson. More than anything though, I just loved being a kid and watching doubleheaders from the cheap seats eating chocolate malts. :heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012. Can't beat a WS Ring. Also, like msg alluded to, they seemed more likeable (although that carries a heavy asterisk next to current media playing a huge role). Also, even though the weighted averages say they're close, the pitching (both bully and starters) seems to favor the 2012 team. Plus, Clark would have to face off against Affeldt, Lopez and Mijares. Also, I was only 9 years old in 1989, lol, so I don't know how well I really understood baseball back then to fall back on and make a good comparison.

I loved Will Clark on the field, but my off-field experiences with him will never sit well with me.....which jades me. I really liked Williams and Thompson. More than anything though, I just loved being a kid and watching doubleheaders from the cheap seats eating chocolate malts. :heh:

And flinging the lids either onto the field or onto the heads of the people in the MUCH better seats closer to the field :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump.

I set the poll for 2 days, so it should be up for less than 24 more hours.

When this is set, we will do 2010 v 2002.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1989 saw great seasons from the Pacific Sock Exchange Clark and Mitchell. The kind of year those two guys had makes you think harder about picking against them, but 2012 has a huge edge in pitching and overall team depth, IMO. Also, I love Roger Craig, but Bochy's an elite manager.

I had that poster in my room as a kid! That team broke my heart - swept by the Evil A's!

2012 had better everyday players overall, a far superior bullpen, and more dominant starting pitching, especially in the playoffs. And setting aside Nuschler (Mitchell and Thompson were pretty clutch too especially in the playoffs) the 2012 group were all more clutch - especially the pitching staff. 1989 was basically only far superior at 1st Base and Left Field.

The 1989 NLCS was the most fun I ever had in baseball - i literally lost it as a kid when Clark roped that single to center - not sure I ever found it again either :think: (i have lost it since as an adult - but losing it as a kid was more awesome - not to get too off topic, but I lost it like a kid in 2010 Woot!) And Game 4 of the World Series was the greatest game ever - we were getting smoked and then Mitchell homered and then it was all for naught; but my Dad super-surprised me with tickets to the game so I got to witness it all and I'll always remember sitting under the big scoreboard with him - and even though we lost at least we made a game of it. Plus my dad bought me one of those carnation malt ice cream things with the wooden stick, mmmm.

I probably (definitely, obviously, i think) love that team more, but 2012 was a better team hands down. If they could play each other on a Field of Dreams I'd root for 1989 to win... but 2012 would crush my hopes just like those dirty A's.

So if we're voting better 2012. If we're voting with our souls 1989. I think I'm just lookin out for 12-year old me... And i love you 2012! Brandons and Buster and Crazy Eyes and Pablo and Scoot and FYWW and Perfecto and Zeets!! And Bum and the playoff return of the Freak and Vogue and... but I'ma hafta vote for 1989!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had that poster in my room as a kid! That team broke my heart - swept by the Evil A's!

2012 had better everyday players overall, a far superior bullpen, and more dominant starting pitching, especially in the playoffs. And setting aside Nuschler (Mitchell and Thompson were pretty clutch too especially in the playoffs) the 2012 group were all more clutch - especially the pitching staff. 1989 was basically only far superior at 1st Base and Left Field.

The 1989 NLCS was the most fun I ever had in baseball - i literally lost it as a kid when Clark roped that single to center - not sure I ever found it again either :think: (i have lost it since as an adult - but losing it as a kid was more awesome - not to get too off topic, but I lost it like a kid in 2010 Woot!) And Game 4 of the World Series was the greatest game ever - we were getting smoked and then Mitchell homered and then it was all for naught; but my Dad super-surprised me with tickets to the game so I got to witness it all and I'll always remember sitting under the big scoreboard with him - and even though we lost at least we made a game of it. Plus my dad bought me one of those carnation malt ice cream things with the wooden stick, mmmm.

I probably (definitely, obviously, i think) love that team more, but 2012 was a better team hands down. If they could play each other on a Field of Dreams I'd root for 1989 to win... but 2012 would crush my hopes just like those dirty A's.

So if we're voting better 2012. If we're voting with our souls 1989. I think I'm just lookin out for 12-year old me... And i love you 2012! Brandons and Buster and Crazy Eyes and Pablo and Scoot and FYWW and Perfecto and Zeets!! And Bum and the playoff return of the Freak and Vogue and... but I'ma hafta vote for 1989!

Virtual rep!!!!!

This is the kind of shit I was hoping for in this post!

Beautiful.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think this would be such a hard choice but looking at the lineups again brings back so many memories. Of course, some memories have been tainted or confused with other years..Ernest Riles 10,000th homerun, did that happen in 89? Brett Butler, the best Giants leadoff hitter of all time, only later discovered to be a blue fan.

During 89, I was only starting to get into the nuances on how baseball is played. I kept score at games, knew what each guy's role in the lineup was. I started to mimic batting stances and Mitch was my guy, we shared the same birthday and I had to change my customized jersey to 7 after he changed numbers.

I loved how the lineup started L-R-L-R..it was how a lineup should work.

I might be mixing up memories here, but i remember going to the game where they came back from a huge deficit in the 9th, started off with a Mitchell homer and ended with Butler getting a perfect bunt down. Details are fuzzy but it was a walk off and it cemented the idea to never leave the game early

89 was also my first sports heartbreak (followed by the niners 90 playoff loss but that's another story)
I felt bad for the 87 team but I didn't emotionally invest like I did with the 89 team. Saved newspaper clippings, saved every piece of giveaway crap like it was worth hundreds of dollars -the plastic lunch bag that ripped after a few uses or that sad plastic thing they tried to pass off as a mitt-
Plus I felt the 89 team were my Giants. Everyone loved the Niners and the A's. The Raiders were in LA.
It wasn't a popular choice to be a Giants fan. They were never as cool as the Bash Brothers and their string of ROYs (this is probably where the Giants inferiority complex started)

So much of their actual abilities may have been stained with the passing of time. If you asked me to evaluate the 89' team right after they beat the Cubs vs 12' after they beat the Cardinals, I would say 1989 easily.

But 89' is associated with too many bad memories and even worse, good memories for the A's. I remember the earthquake and then how we had to face Dave Stewart and Bob Welch again..didn't even got a chance to use Bedrock, our own new closer.

I'm voting 2012 wins 4 games to 3 as the 12' rotation holds down the 89' offense just enough to win

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think this would be such a hard choice but looking at the lineups again brings back so many memories. Of course, some memories have been tainted or confused with other years..Ernest Riles 10,000th homerun, did that happen in 89? Brett Butler, the best Giants leadoff hitter of all time, only later discovered to be a blue fan.

During 89, I was only starting to get into the nuances on how baseball is played. I kept score at games, knew what each guy's role in the lineup was. I started to mimic batting stances and Mitch was my guy, we shared the same birthday and I had to change my customized jersey to 7 after he changed numbers.

I loved how the lineup started L-R-L-R..it was how a lineup should work.

I might be mixing up memories here, but i remember going to the game where they came back from a huge deficit in the 9th, started off with a Mitchell homer and ended with Butler getting a perfect bunt down. Details are fuzzy but it was a walk off and it cemented the idea to never leave the game early

89 was also my first sports heartbreak (followed by the niners 90 playoff loss but that's another story)
I felt bad for the 87 team but I didn't emotionally invest like I did with the 89 team. Saved newspaper clippings, saved every piece of giveaway crap like it was worth hundreds of dollars -the plastic lunch bag that ripped after a few uses or that sad plastic thing they tried to pass off as a mitt-
Plus I felt the 89 team were my Giants. Everyone loved the Niners and the A's. The Raiders were in LA.
It wasn't a popular choice to be a Giants fan. They were never as cool as the Bash Brothers and their string of ROYs (this is probably where the Giants inferiority complex started)

So much of their actual abilities may have been stained with the passing of time. If you asked me to evaluate the 89' team right after they beat the Cubs vs 12' after they beat the Cardinals, I would say 1989 easily.

But 89' is associated with too many bad memories and even worse, good memories for the A's. I remember the earthquake and then how we had to face Dave Stewart and Bob Welch again..didn't even got a chance to use Bedrock, our own new closer.

I'm voting 2012 wins 4 games to 3 as the 12' rotation holds down the 89' offense just enough to win

The A's threw out Stewart and MOORE, not Welch.

This was, I think, the first year I TRULY knew that I liked the Giants more than the A's. But it wasn't until '90 that I officially became an A-hater. 3 years in a row with the World Series heartbreak, and their side-kick status was dead.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's threw out Stewart and MOORE, not Welch.

This was, I think, the first year I TRULY knew that I liked the Giants more than the A's. But it wasn't until '90 that I officially became an A-hater. 3 years in a row with the World Series heartbreak, and their side-kick status was dead.

What kills me is that I rooted for the A's in those other World Series and I rooted for them against the Blue Jays in '92. Part of it was Bay Area pride and the other part was just me rooting against our NL West rivals. Those late 80's early 90's A's were great, but were a disappointment in the postseason. I wish they would've been a disappointment in '89 against the Giants.