• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

[2007] Green Bay Packers' QB of the Future

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello, all.

I'm one of many FanNation refugees. Since the old FanNation site is still kinda alive at the moment, I was able to save this blog post I wrote there August 6th, 2007. Like an old photo, it's interesting and often comical to look back on a snapshot of time. It's for that reason I wanted this blog post to live on. Enjoy.

Green Bay Packers' QB of the Future

As a fan, I was elated when the Green Bay Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft. I thought it was the steal of the draft and felt fortunate to have a prospective #1 overall draft pick slip all the way to the Packers at 24th overall. I was glad to have a top-rated QB who could work under Favre for a year or two and could be ready for the NFL when his number is called.

When he was very shaky his rookie season I was a bit disappointed, but I excused him because he was a rookie at the most difficult position to play in professional sports. I had confidence that he would start to shine in year two. Unfortunately, Rodgers improved in year two, but not enough give fans confidence that he can successfully lead the team if Favre gets hurt. After Rodgers' sophomore season, I maintained my opinion that Rodgers could be a successful successor to Favre, but began to have my doubts that he could be an NFL starter. I thought the 2007 preseason would be the final indication whether Aaron Rodgers should be the Packers' QB in 2010.

Well, the 2007 preseason is here. During this weekend's televised scrimmage, I watched Rodgers closer than any other player on the team. Rodgers was pretty accurate with many of his throws and showed decent mobility and pocket presence throughout the scrimmage. On one play he stepped up in the pocket while under a heavy outside rush and gunned a deep bullet right on the numbers to a receiver over the middle for a first down. Unfortunately, the scrimmage produced two major concerns about him that I just couldn't let slide. The obvious Rodgers blunder was during the 2-minute drill when he lofted up a hail mary on 2nd & 27 that was easily intercepted in the end zone. [It was the exact error of judgement that Favre has taken a lot of heat for the last few years. 2nd down is not an "all or nothing" down unless there's less than 5 seconds on the clock.] However, that was one isolated play and perhaps one isolated error of judgement. What disappointed me about him more than anything was his stare-down-and-throw of his primary receiver on almost every passing play. He was not looking off defenders. He was not making any kind of reads on the defense. He was not going through his progressions. Of course, since it was only a scrimmage, it's very possible that he stared-down his primary receiver because he knew what defensive play was called and he knew where the hole in the defense would be.

In any case, I will be watching Aaron Rodgers even closer this coming Saturday against a Pittsburgh defense that will eat him up if he continues to stare-down his receivers.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You weren't alone :) I didnt start to have any sort of confidence that he'd even stay in the league as anything more than a backup at best those first 2+ years. Looks like I missed a bit :) but it shows just how hard he worked and how much he improved. Rodgers deserves every single award and accolade that comes his way. He worked his ass off for it

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You weren't alone :) I didnt start to have any sort of confidence that he'd even stay in the league as anything more than a backup at best those first 2+ years. Looks like I missed a bit :) but it shows just how hard he worked and how much he improved. Rodgers deserves every single award and accolade that comes his way. He worked his ass off for it

I agree with you; he deserves every award he gets, and then some. I sense last year's down year and injury will have him revved up and as good as ever this year.

There are some funny things to point out from that blog post.

• I questioned whether Rodgers should be the QB in 2010, the season he won the Superbowl.
  • I was concerned with him staring down receivers. He has become a master at looking defenders off and creating holes with his eyes.
  • I was concerned with a Favreian interception he threw on 2nd & 27. He has one of the greatest TD:INT ratios in the history of the NFL.
...It's like he read my blog post back then and used it as fuel.