• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 year away

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly wasn't out coached stop. We lost because of Golson and thats it. We out played them, Golson just had some stupid turnovers plus a botched FG snap. It just wasn't our day. Our QB needs to lead better thats it.

I disagree with you Purguy after the first batted pass the play calling should have been adjusted to help Golson and or the O-Line coach should have been on his lineman to finish the block if the guy tries to leave his feet.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nods in agreement.

You might be able to say Kelly wasn't outcoached the whole game, but he was outcoached in many ways. The previous posts illustrate it well and I saw and said the same thing on gameday watching it. You knew damn well when you gameplanned for this team that they were blitzing over 55% of the time. You then look at the first drive, looked good until whoopsy. After that until the 3rd quarter it was a freaking trainwreck on offense, I place a majority of that on the coaches. You should know as a long time coach that Kelly is on how to adjust depending on what you like to do along with what a Defensive coordinator is trying to take away or do themselves. In my view it should've been a much quicker adjustment. But, that also goes back to what I heard Spielman say during the game about Kelly not using Hot-Reads with Golson. Does he not use them period, or is it just Golson? I think that's a huge liability if you're not using hot-reads and expecting your QB to account for whomever might come unaccounted for. Of course the TEs and RBs have their share of blame as well, as do the OL. Our interior is getting blown up which leaves very small windows (if any) of lanes to step up into. Now, if you couple that with Golson's mentality, which appears to be to stay in there and make the throw, he doesn't even have the benefit of the proper escape mechanism he should have.

So, that all goes back to the coaches IMHO. Who was it, KSU I think it was... I was watching a game of theirs earlier and there was a discussion by the announcers about how KSU sets up their OL. Basically they space them out a li'l wider than you normally see on an OL, maybe a half yard more or so laterally. It was really interesting to see and watch because defenses have to spread wider if they want to prevent the edge from getting set and then guess what? The A and B gaps are less clogged, which should also translate (on average) to better step-up lanes for the passing plays.

Now, I do like Kelly, I really think he CAN coach and he does at times make some really awesome play calls but quite frankly, he also has some serious flaws and one would think he would at some point drop any ego he might have about himself to learn his own flaws and get started on correcting some of his own stupidity as well as using his known tendencies to start tripping up opposing coordinators.

I thought the comment about Rees and his TOs as well as Sacks comparison to Golson were very compelling. I think that strongly suggests as well that there's plenty of blame to go around. I'd be interested to see some old Cincy games to see how other QBs and OLs fared in his Offense... just for comparison.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion Kelly had as many fuckups as Golson did in that game. They're a team and it's proportional. Plain and simple Kelly did little to fix the turnover problem early in the game. His playcalling didn't help and he should have went to a more conservative approach and protected his guy, Golson, in a more appropriate fashion. Adjustments were made but not in a timely fashion. A lot of this falls on Kelly. Like I stated in pretty much every post I made, there is plenty of blame to go around. This week Kelly has to do one thing, he has to make it more than apparent to Everett that the ball is a precious commodity and he has to protect it. He doesn't have to be Superman he simply has to be smart.

His line coach has to tell the guys to finish their blocks and keep their men engaged. His runningbacks coach has to make sure Folston is making the appropriate blitz pickup, his receivers coach has to do the same. They need more balance in their offense and these highly recruited linemen have to start dominating more and enforcing their will.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you Purguy after the first batted pass the play calling should have been adjusted to help Golson and or the O-Line coach should have been on his lineman to finish the block if the guy tries to leave his feet.

Batted balls are on him. After the 1st one he needs to learn. I agree Robinson Int wasn't on him but game was over by then. Int and botched FG really killed this team in the 2nd half. We would be winning if that didn't happen. I also think Golson needs to run more on broken plays and not force throws.

I really believe we are 1 year away.

Sidenote: Morgan looked lost. Im not calling him a bust but damn he doesn't look like a Top MLB from last years class. He needs to step up.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batted balls are on him. After the 1st one he needs to learn. I agree Robinson Int wasn't on him but game was over by then. Int and botched FG really killed this team in the 2nd half. We would be winning if that didn't happen. I also think Golson needs to run more on broken plays and not force throws.

I really believe we are 1 year away.

Sidenote: Morgan looked lost. Im not calling him a bust but damn he doesn't look like a Top MLB from last years class. He needs to step up.

Game was not over when Robinson caused the pick. If they drove and scored they had a shot at an onside. They had all three TO's too. That pick six sealed it.

Morgan is incredibly athletic with a great motor. He played as well as I would expect a true freshman to play. Go watch some film of Teo in 2009 for comparison. I wouldn't worry about it.

About the only part I agree with is yes, we are definitely one year away.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wouldn't pass judgement on Morgan just yet it was only his second week of major playing time and his first weeks as the top guy so the learning curve will be steep plus he wasn't on campus early like Trumbetti and has more to handle than Trumbetti as well.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wouldn't pass judgement on Morgan just yet it was only his second week of major playing time and his first weeks as the top guy so the learning curve will be steep plus he wasn't on campus early like Trumbetti and has more to handle than Trumbetti as well.

Like I said Im not calling him a Bust just disappointed in how he played. Thats all.

Henry Commits to FSU

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many were doubting Henry committing to Notre Dame. The sky isn't falling they are still in on a lot of good QB in next years class.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many were doubting Henry committing to Notre Dame. The sky isn't falling they are still in on a lot of good QB in next years class.

Yes I heard they just jumped in with the KJ Costello who is right behind Henry and many feel he might be a better fit. They say he might jump henry by next year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried at all they will get plenty of talent they have shown that it's about getting the most of it on the field. The one good thing is the defense and much of the offensive skill players are young so the future is bright. In reality I didn't expect them to be in playoff contention, what is frustrating is they could very easily be undefeated with out one mistake and against FSU and well Golson turning the ball over at an alarming rate (yest they aren't all on him but even so his turnover to td ratio is pathetic). If Golson can't improve in that department they won't be one year away if he is the starter next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried at all they will get plenty of talent they have shown that it's about getting the most of it on the field. The one good thing is the defense and much of the offensive skill players are young so the future is bright. In reality I didn't expect them to be in playoff contention, what is frustrating is they could very easily be undefeated with out one mistake and against FSU and well Golson turning the ball over at an alarming rate (yest they aren't all on him but even so his turnover to td ratio is pathetic). If Golson can't improve in that department they won't be one year away if he is the starter next year.

Future is bright. This team is young.