• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 year away

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is relying to much on his arm and not his brain. He has to get better the next games and work hard this offseason. if there was any doubt of him going to the NFL..........no way he does

100%

awclayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have ever had such emotional swings in one game. First time in awhile I'm not looking forward to going to south bend for a game next week. Just so frustrating, disappointed......:gaah:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of this year away crap. Now sure the suspended players really hurt the depth and talent on this team particularly the defense but poor recruiting led to so many young players playing because they didn't have any upperclassmen leadership due to bad classes that had most of the guys transfer or what ever the hell happened with Shepard. The staff has come around lately with good talent but we are seeing the effects of those early classes that were small or had a lot of players leave.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just made it to one 2 years ago. when was the last time cubs made it

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

But anyways, my statement stands. Notre Dame isn't close to competing for National Championships.

Especially with Golson at QB.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least we are not the only team that sucked it up bad last night. that makes me feel a little better

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are 1 year away. this year is about learning. we should of won this game but we made way too many mistakes. shot ourseleves. i like the fight and liked that our D played an hell of a game except on the bomb play in the 1st half and the 1 drive in the 2nd when we were down 3.

i hope we can finish 10-2. Golson still has some learning to do. he killed us.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but 1 year away from what? Playoffs? Championship? Having an offense and defense at the same time? Not playing down to our opponents? Not beating ourselves? Last year was no great year but we beat 3 opponents that were ranked at the end of the year and Reese was the QB.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an aside, Golson is only 3 interceptions away from throwing more interceptions in a season than Tommy's worst season. I'm not sure, but I think Golson's 6 lost fumbles are more than Rees ever had in a season.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an aside, Golson is only 3 interceptions away from throwing more interceptions in a season than Tommy's worst season. I'm not sure, but I think Golson's 6 lost fumbles are more than Rees ever had in a season.

he's lost his smile.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

But anyways, my statement stands. Notre Dame isn't close to competing for National Championships.

Especially with Golson at QB.

I'm kind of feeling like I would rather see what Zaire can do at this point. I'm really down on this team the coaching from Kelly and Golson my god I never believed I would say Tommy Rees might be a better QB.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was screaming "Tommy Golson" all day ....

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of feeling like I would rather see what Zaire can do at this point. I'm really down on this team the coaching from Kelly and Golson my god I never believed I would say Tommy Rees might be a better QB.

I agree with playing Zaire. It would be good to have another QB on deck with some meaningful experience. Also, now that we are out of playoff contention and we are looking toward next year, I don't see anything wrong with Zaire getting some snaps. Zaire may have more upside.

I revisited one of my original posts from after last season where I said Golson may turn into a great QB but he was pretty average in 2012. I stated that Golson was aided by a killer defense, a solid running game and the knowledge that he had a capable reliever if the going got tough. My opinion wasn't very popular. It seemed like many thought that Golson was the main reason we went 12-0 in 2012. Someone said that Golson's mobility would translate into less sacks. Rees was sacked 8 times last year while Golson has been sacked 22 times in 2014 with more games to go.

Some may think that finally, next year, Golson will be elite; but I am not so sure. Golson has played in a lot of games and he should have figured shit out by now.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Golson is the better athlete, which we all know. But, Tommy Rees was the better QB.

I'm with you on Zaire, I'd like to see him get a couple of series next week.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with playing Zaire. It would be good to have another QB on deck with some meaningful experience. Also, now that we are out of playoff contention and we are looking toward next year, I don't see anything wrong with Zaire getting some snaps. Zaire may have more upside.

I revisited one of my original posts from after last season where I said Golson may turn into a great QB but he was pretty average in 2012. I stated that Golson was aided by a killer defense, a solid running game and the knowledge that he had a capable reliever if the going got tough. My opinion wasn't very popular. It seemed like many thought that Golson was the main reason we went 12-0 in 2012. Someone said that Golson's mobility would translate into less sacks. Rees was sacked 8 times last year while Golson has been sacked 22 times in 2014 with more games to go.

Some may think that finally, next year, Golson will be elite; but I am not so sure. Golson has played in a lot of games and he should have figured shit out by now.

Part of that is the coaching they are letting Golson account for the extra rusher when they don't have enough to block all the pressure and he isn't picking it up. So coaches need to tweak the play calling which falls on Kelly.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of that is the coaching they are letting Golson account for the extra rusher when they don't have enough to block all the pressure and he isn't picking it up. So coaches need to tweak the play calling which falls on Kelly.

:agree: This. We basically played into their defensive strategy = Graham outcoached Kelly.

I am not a strong advocate of benching Golson in favor of Zaire. Maybe if he F's up again, pull him for a series or two. But there's a reason he won the starting job, and although we're not playing for the playoffs, if this team still wants to have some momentum going into next year recruiting, ranking and playing-wise, then Golson's gotta remain the starter. Bad turnovers aside, he is still putting up pretty good numbers in the passing game. His height might be a disability, so move him in the pocket more, give him some hot reads on the blitzes, and by all means, I think this is the most important, learn to bail on a bad play instead of making a play all the time. A lot of his turnovers happen when he's trying to extent the play. The really talented and mature QB's know that sometimes its okay to punt, live to fight another day. The defense is adequate enough to get a stop, this isn't 2006-2010's defenses, just give em some field position to work with. And if you're OL isn't doing you any favors, get yourself into an optimal situation.

Honestly, I thought this coaching staff and team would be smart enough to make a team that was blitzing 3 out of 4 plays pay for such over-aggressiveness. Its disappointing that they weren't.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His height (or lack thereof) is definitely a hinderance. I know ... Drew Brees ... Russell Wilson ... but EG hasn't totally figured out how to overcome his dilemma in this aspect.

I agree with moving the pocket around for the guy ... especially against a blitzing D. And a different play calling scheme, as such. I have always said that the dude gets a slight indecisive before taking off with the ball ... he seems to hesitate a split second too long before tucking & run ... and I wish he'd learn to actually tuck the damn ball when he does decide to use his wheels. Dude is a definite threat when he's mobile.

I'm not so sure about letting Zaire 'get more snaps' at this point, unless (as previously stated) he starts fng up again. Sitting him for his f-ups might be the medicine he needs, but don't just 'bench him' for the sake of benching him. If he continues to screw up and/or we get a comfortable lead ... no prob with sticking Zaire out there for some 'experience'.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always said that the dude gets a slight indecisive before taking off with the ball ... he seems to hesitate a split second too long before tucking & run ... and I wish he'd learn to actually tuck the damn ball when he does decide to use his wheels. Dude is a definite threat when he's mobile.

He has a pass-first mentality. Always has. People just assumed he was a running QB. Mobile, yes, but he can't shake the pass-first mentality, even at times detrimentally. I just don't think he has the natural football instincts of some of the other elite QB's. The elite ones have that "inner voice" that tells them to take off. Someone pointed out, when he scrambles, he tends to run into the pressure too, instead of finding the lane to run. Part of that could be he still has eyes downfield, but I don't know how many times there has been a seam in the pocket for him to go, and he runs right to where the defender is, and gets slowed down or tangled with them.

His OL isn't really helping him that much, and if teams want to blitz all day, he needs to start making them pay. I hope he'd run more to get them to loosen up.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: This. We basically played into their defensive strategy = Graham outcoached Kelly.

I am not a strong advocate of benching Golson in favor of Zaire. Maybe if he F's up again, pull him for a series or two. But there's a reason he won the starting job, and although we're not playing for the playoffs, if this team still wants to have some momentum going into next year recruiting, ranking and playing-wise, then Golson's gotta remain the starter. Bad turnovers aside, he is still putting up pretty good numbers in the passing game. His height might be a disability, so move him in the pocket more, give him some hot reads on the blitzes, and by all means, I think this is the most important, learn to bail on a bad play instead of making a play all the time. A lot of his turnovers happen when he's trying to extent the play. The really talented and mature QB's know that sometimes its okay to punt, live to fight another day. The defense is adequate enough to get a stop, this isn't 2006-2010's defenses, just give em some field position to work with. And if you're OL isn't doing you any favors, get yourself into an optimal situation.

Honestly, I thought this coaching staff and team would be smart enough to make a team that was blitzing 3 out of 4 plays pay for such over-aggressiveness. Its disappointing that they weren't.

Kelly wasn't out coached stop. We lost because of Golson and thats it. We out played them, Golson just had some stupid turnovers plus a botched FG snap. It just wasn't our day. Our QB needs to lead better thats it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a pass-first mentality. Always has. People just assumed he was a running QB. Mobile, yes, but he can't shake the pass-first mentality, even at times detrimentally. I just don't think he has the natural football instincts of some of the other elite QB's. The elite ones have that "inner voice" that tells them to take off. Someone pointed out, when he scrambles, he tends to run into the pressure too, instead of finding the lane to run. Part of that could be he still has eyes downfield, but I don't know how many times there has been a seam in the pocket for him to go, and he runs right to where the defender is, and gets slowed down or tangled with them.

His OL isn't really helping him that much, and if teams want to blitz all day, he needs to start making them pay. I hope he'd run more to get them to loosen up.

The kid spent some time in Cali with a QB guru. You think its possible hes been told the Mike Vics and RG3s arent working out so if he wants to play pro ball hes gotta learn to throw out of the pocket? But not every Short QB can master that but hes been trained by that coach to do it or attempt it. Batted balls are a sign hes not finding throwing lanes. It could be his ND coaching is in contradiction to what hes been told he needs to do for his future. Just a thought.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid spent some time in Cali with a QB guru. You think its possible hes been told the Mike Vics and RG3s arent working out so if he wants to play pro ball hes gotta learn to throw out of the pocket? But not every Short QB can master that but hes been trained by that coach to do it or attempt it. Batted balls are a sign hes not finding throwing lanes. It could be his ND coaching is in contradiction to what hes been told he needs to do for his future. Just a thought.

Going back to his HS days, he's always been a passer. I don't know if he's gotten mixed signals between what Whitfield taught him and LaFleur is teaching him now. There may be something to that. I also thought Whitfield broke him of his habit of not throwing on the laces, but he's been throwing without the laces all season.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly wasn't out coached stop. We lost because of Golson and thats it. We out played them, Golson just had some stupid turnovers plus a botched FG snap. It just wasn't our day. Our QB needs to lead better thats it.

I disagree. There's plenty of shared blame. Not giving Golson a hot read on blitz packages is a coaching mistake. Golson doesn't have the smarts to make that call on his own yet. Throwing away from the blitz every time was also a mistake and played right into what ASU wanted. They were too slow to adjust some calls. Would have liked them to fake the WR screen and go long earlier. We burned them a lot in the second half with that play. Listening to ISD's power hour, Driskell only put the fumble and the third quarter int on Golson. He really didn't blame him for the batted passes that became picks, and obviously the Robinson pick was not Golson's fault. I do blame him for the batted passes, but mostly his failure to recognize he needs to bail on some plays instead of trying to make a huge play every down.