• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ziggy

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I did not like the pick is because there are a lot of quality DEs in the draft. Tank Carradine is still available in round 2 so we could have gotten just as good a DE albeit with a lower ceiling. I would have taken either Milliner or even Cooper with the first pick.

As far as the whole project thing, that is everyones mind only. Ansah dominated the best tackles in college football by the end of the year. What more could he do? How much more could he develop in college. Imagine now that he is going to be better once he makes these million improvements that everyone is saying he needs. he will be able to dominate in the NFL once he does.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was saying don't take ansah before they took him. I think thats why kreton is pssed that theres so much negativity about him. Almost all mock drafts had it between ansah or milliner, and if i recall, everyone was fine with either one of them, until they actually drafted him*

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was saying don't take ansah before they took him. I think thats why kreton is pssed that theres so much negativity about him. Almost all mock drafts had it between ansah or milliner, and if i recall, everyone was fine with either one of them, until they actually drafted him*

Don't say no one was saying don't take Ansah -- I said it before the draft, though that is just my opinion and the only reason I felt that way is............Detroit's track record on developing talent is non-existent and while Ansah has the physical tools, he still has ALOT to learn and I believe he will struggle against NFL tackles until he learns the techniques and football moves necessary to make him successful.

I shouldn't say the only reason -- the other reason is -- I think it will take him 2 or 3 years before he gets to his true potential. By that time, if the Lions aren't successful, Schwartz will be gone, as will the Wide 9, more than likely. I believe, one of the main reason they took Ansah, is they feel he is a great fit for the Wide 9. I have no clue how he will translate to a normal 4-3 defense or if he'd have to be developed even further if they change the defensive look of the team.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn when tpaul isn't positive about someone...then there is serious reason for concern!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Con's:
1. Inexperienced -- having only played 3 years of football and only starting 9 games for BYU. He was drafted based on potential, not production.

I'll take talent and ability over credentials any day of the week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take talent and ability over credentials any day of the week.

To get the credentials, you have to have talent and ability. it isn't as if it is a choice of one or the other.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the press conference. Well if football doesnt pan out, im sure he can make it as a comedian. haha pretty funny dude

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get the credentials, you have to have talent and ability. it isn't as if it is a choice of one or the other.

Oh, that's right. If you have the college stats, it means instant success in the NFL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that's right. If you have the college stats, it means instant success in the NFL

I never said that, But show me another top 5 pick in the history of the NFL with 9 career starts in college.

I will say -- if you are drafted in the top 5 in the draft -- 99.99% of the time, you had great stats in college. The only reason I didn't say 100% of the time is because of the Ansah pick.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Auerbach (I believe) a number of years ago made a statement something like this: I can teach a man to shoot, teach a man to dribble, teach a man to pass. But I can't teach a man to be 7'. In other words, can't teach someone to be taleted. This guy walked on to a quality D1 football program having never played football in his life. In less than 3 years he"s dominating the senior bowl. The draft holds no guarentees, yes, some a bigger risk than others, but no one has played a game yet, I"ll bet there were at least 10 teams hoping he would drop into their lap. Let's wait and see. Maybe the Lions caught lightning in a bottle. (stole that from the article)

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking to see if you all posted something about how his momma wanted him to be drafted by a team in Utah.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Auerbach (I believe) a number of years ago made a statement something like this: I can teach a man to shoot, teach a man to dribble, teach a man to pass. But I can't teach a man to be 7'. In other words, can't teach someone to be taleted.

Actually -- What Auebach said is he CAN teach someone how to be talented, what you can't teach is physical attributes (in Auerbach's case -- being 7 foot tall -- in Ziggy's case -- Speed and strength)

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that, But show me another top 5 pick in the history of the NFL with 9 career starts in college.

I will say -- if you are drafted in the top 5 in the draft -- 99.99% of the time, you had great stats in college. The only reason I didn't say 100% of the time is because of the Ansah pick.

Does it have to be exactly nine, or can it be zero?

I'm just not a stat guy. If I was, baseball would be my favorite sport, because their stats are very closely correlated to the outcomes of baseball games. I used to be a stat guy, and baseball used to be my favorite sport. But I was attracted to football because their stats seldom made sense. It's a challenge to try to figure out what you need to be successful in the NFL. Miami couldn't win a Superbowl with Dan Marino. Baltimore won one with Trent Dilfer.

It certainly isn't easy. And it makes for many differences in opinion. My opinion is that our DEs, KVB and Avril were average at best. You may not agree with me. Hopefully, Ansah can change your mind.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So reading the draft thread, and listening to radio and other Lions fans, suddenly the Lions fans are upset over Ansah.

Just a quick question. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Our clueless local radio sports jockey's do a lot of stir the pot IMO. Sad truth is most fans are parrots who believe everything they hear and read. I was telling people for 3 months the Lions were taking Ansah. My own father would just look at me in disgust and say "bullshit". He'd say "that's not what the guys on the radio are saying." lol

:ss:
*cough*97.1*cough*

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just stop and pay attention the NFL for 5 minutes.

JPP college stats at South FL - (drafted 15th overall)

7 starts
45 total tackles
17 tackles for a loss
6.5 sacks
3 passes broken up
3 forced fumbles

In hindsight, JPP would have been a top 5 pick in the 2010 draft.

Ziggy Ansah Senior College stats at BYU -

9 starts
62 total tackles
13 tackles for a loss
4.5 sacks
9 passes broken up
1 forced fumble

Their stats are practically identical. The NFL is a copycat league. JPP's success helped Ansah become a top 5 pick (no QB's in the draft also helped). OF COURSE they were going to take him after letting both DE go via FA (and drafting a LT last year). Especially after he dominated the Senior Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their stats are practically identical. The NFL is a copycat league. JPP's success helped Ansah become a top 5 pick (no QB's in the draft also helped). OF COURSE they were going to take him after letting both DE go via FA (and drafting a LT last year). Especially after he dominated the Senior Bowl.

I agree they do have comparable numbers. What you failed to mention about JPP is, he actually played football prior to South Florida. He was a 2 time all-american in junior college and racked up 25 sacks and 34 tackles for loss in 2 years, before going to South Florida.

I also agree the NFL is a copycat league. That was another thing that made me nervous about the pick, as the Lions are hoping to find lightening in a bottle, as the Giants did with JPP. I will be cheering the guy on, just makes me nervous to spend a top 5 pick on someone who didn't know how to put on equipment or the rules of the game 4 years ago. I don't blame the Lions for taking him -- he is a physical freak. He has all the attributes needed to be successful. If he picks things up as fast as they said he can -- He could be an absolute beast.

Basically, IMO, I would have rather they went the safe route and took Warmack, Cooper or Milliner. I'm fine with Ansah though and think he is in the perfect spot to be successful, as the Lions DE's don't have alot of responsibility other than to get after the QB.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That was another thing that made me nervous about the pick, as the Lions are hoping to find lightening in a bottle, as the Giants did with JPP. I will be cheering the guy on, just makes me nervous to spend a top 5 pick on someone who didn't know how to put on equipment or the rules of the game 4 years ago.

I think it's a fair concern. It's okay to be nervous that the Lions gamble won't pay off. I'm nervous, and I'm the biggest Ziggy supporter around. But even I will admit that it's a big risk.

Here's the thing I keep telling myself though. What's the alternative? Never take a risk? Let someone else take the next JPP, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, etc. Eventually the Lions need to take someone like this and roll the dice. You can't win big in the NFL unless you have a dynamic pass rush. I want to win big someday. That's why I was in favor of the pick. His upside makes the risk worth it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing I keep telling myself though. What's the alternative? Never take a risk? Let someone else take the next JPP, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, etc. Eventually the Lions need to take someone like this and roll the dice. You can't win big in the NFL unless you have a dynamic pass rush. I want to win big someday. That's why I was in favor of the pick. His upside makes the risk worth it.

This was basically my same argument back on CBS. Schwartz has big balls and a huge ego (for better or for worse). He saw what Ansah could do with one week of coaching at the Senior Bowl and decided then he could turn Ziggy into an NFL terror. Schwartz confirmed as much saying the pick was basically decided after that game.