• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ziggy

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So reading the draft thread, and listening to radio and other Lions fans, suddenly the Lions fans are upset over Ansah.

Just a quick question. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Analysts have been predicting Ansah for a while. Virtually every Lions fan was either pulling for him or Milliner (of the choices that were left).

Lions fans have been bitching and crying like a bunch of little pussies for years about not taking guys with injury history, address the biggest need and all this other crap. Now the Lions address the biggest need available, with a guy with far less of an injury history and you people are still freaking crying and whining.

I know many of you cry a river no matter what the Lions do, but this takes the cake. It must really be a shitty life for you crying ass pussies who are just so freaking miserable all the time.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be excited if I were you. Hell, I am excited just because I pull for the Lions over Schwarzy.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited. We picked up a DE who was a top 2 DE on virtually every board. And if not in the top 2 than top 3. He proved he can play the wide 9. The Lions found out just before the draft that LoJack was going to Minny. SO our biggest need became even more of a need. And these guys have been crying for years, at least since 08 or so that the Lions need to address needs. The Lions need to stop rolling the dice on injury prone guys.

And this year the Lions choice essentially came down to 2 guys. Ansah and Milliner.

Milliner has an extensive injury history, and his position is not a bigger need than Ansah. And now these guys no longer want us to address the biggest need, and now they want the injury prone guy.

Some people just want to bitch no matter what.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN

What he brings:
Ansah has an elite combination of size and raw athleticism, but he is relatively inexperienced. However, on tape he shows natural instincts coupled with explosive power and excellent closing burst for a 271-pounder. He also has good versatility, with the ability to reduce inside and provide some interior pass rush. With his frame, tools and freakish athleticism, he has the potential to become a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

How he fits: With all three elite offensive tackles off the board, this appears to be the Lions' highest-rated player, and he does fill a need. Both of Detroit's starting defensive ends from a season ago, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril, are gone. Ansah figures perfectly as an end rusher in the Lions' aggressive 4-3 defense, in which they like to attack without a lot of blitzes. Because of all the attention defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley receive, he should get a lot of one-on-one blocking situations. He's also a guy who can move around and play inside in some sub packages as a mismatch pass-rusher.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only losing KVB and Avril, we also lost LoJack.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I think the rage could be toned down a notch. Those Lions fans your calling " pussies" aren't exactly pussies. Ansah just has a huge question mark based on his limited playing experience. Schwartz and co. dont have a lot of time for Ansah to develop. I think that's the biggest thing.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL grades the picks.

Ansah pick was given a grade of 93.8. The 4th highest grade given. 2 of the 3 picks higher picked before us.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big question marks? Every analyst and scout in the NFL and sporting world, almost every fan of football (other than the hate filled Lions fan who complain about everything the Lions do) have this picked graded highly. The guy was the best DE, can play our defense and addresses the biggest need on this team.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks about the question marks I just discussed. But you're right, all we Lions fans do is bitch. There's no doubt he's a physical freak, but his lack of experience is what concerns me. Not sure why your all up in arms about that, but whatevs.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ansah

So reading the draft thread, and listening to radio and other Lions fans, suddenly the Lions fans are upset over Ansah.

Just a quick question. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Analysts have been predicting Ansah for a while. Virtually every Lions fan was either pulling for him or Milliner (of the choices that were left).

Lions fans have been bitching and crying like a bunch of little pussies for years about not taking guys with injury history, address the biggest need and all this other crap. Now the Lions address the biggest need available, with a guy with far less of an injury history and you people are still freaking crying and whining.

I know many of you cry a river no matter what the Lions do, but this takes the cake. It must really be a shitty life for you crying ass pussies who are just so freaking miserable all the time.

I think it is pretty simple why many Lions fans aren't thrilled with the pick. Ansah is a project. He is someone they will have to develop and teach how to play the DE position. He has played the game for 3 years and lacks football moves and technique for the DE position. He used his speed and strength in college, but no one knows how that will translate when he is going up against the best of the best in the NFL.

Here is what I see as the pro's and con's for Ansah:

Pro's:
1. He is an athletic freak and has the characteristics you can't teach -- Speed and Strength

2. He fills a big position of need for the Lions

3. He seems to be the perfect kind of athlete to excel in the type of defense the Lions run

4. They say he is a quick study and picks things up quickly

5. The sky is the limit if he can take what he learns and translate it into production on the football field

Con's:
1. Inexperienced -- having only played 3 years of football and only starting 9 games for BYU. He was drafted based on potential, not production.

2. Lacks technique and football moves needed to be successful as a DE, which the Lions will have to teach him

3. He is a project. It could be 3 or 4 years before Ansah reaches his potential or it may never happen.

4. It was a top 5 pick and Detroit took the riskiest player in the draft. He is the prototypical boom or bust pick.

5. Detroit passed over a bunch of players who could have stepped in immediately and been a starter for the next decade from day 1 (Milliner, Warmack, Cooper, etc.)

Personally -- I'm on record as stating the one player I wanted the Lions to avoid was Ansah. I don't 'hate' the pick, but I just don't think the Lions have the luxury of taking the "high risk/high reward" type of player. I would have rather seen them go the safe route and take Warmack, Cooper or Milliner. In the end though -- Detroit now has a very raw, talented athletic freak at DE -- If he can pick up things as quickly as they say -- he could be an absolute monster. Unfortunately -- he could just as easily be a bust and I think that is why you see fans upset by the pick, as most hope we won't have many more top 5 picks in the future.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are "on the record" saying a lot of things. You are on the record saying the Lions need to draft defense. Stop ignoring the defense. You are on the record saying the lions need to stop drafting guys with an injury history. You are on the record saying the Lions need to address their needs for once. Basically you are on the record saying that no matter what the Lions did you were going to complain.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are "on the record" saying a lot of things. You are on the record saying the Lions need to draft defense. Stop ignoring the defense. You are on the record saying the lions need to stop drafting guys with an injury history. You are on the record saying the Lions need to address their needs for once. Basically you are on the record saying that no matter what the Lions did you were going to complain.

actually -- the only one complaining in this thread is yourself. the others are trying to have an actual discussion about the Lions draft pick.

the only thing i said is -- ansah was the one player i would have rather they steered clear of, as less than 4 years ago, he didn't even know how to put on his football equipment. i also said, i don't hate the pick, i just would have rather they took the safer route, even if it meant drafting a guard.

history isn't on detroit's side when it comes to developing talent. it isn't a big secret that it is something the organization struggles with. i think that, more than anything, is why people are scared with the Ansah pick.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the record saying Kreton needs to relax. Frankie say the same thing.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on the Ansah pick, too. Milliner would have been a better choice, imo, but then again 3 more teams passed on him after our pick, so maybe we had him a bit too high.

Ansah could, and should, turn into an elite edge-rusher for us, but I'm still pretty nervous about the guy...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then is it safe to assume, Kreton, that you've read through the link I provided, and MikeD's assessment and agree? Should I take your silence as that?

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the pick.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new BPA...

Best Project Available

;)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pretty nervous about the guy...

i think TP hit the nail on the head with this line. i bet if you asked 100 Lions fans who didn't agree with taking Ansah, if they hate the pick or they are nervous about the pick -- the majority of fans would say they are nervous about the pick.

i know that is why i was against taking Ansah. it wasn't because of his athletic ability, it is off the charts. it is the bust factor involved that makes me nervous about spending a top 5 pick on a player like that, when so many safer picks could have been pencilled into the line up and started for the Lions for many years.