• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zero RB Debate

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Id post this video I saw today here. Not the most informative video (like at all) but it does show the "mainstream" guys or whatever you wanna call them talking both sides of the WR vs RB debate. Thought it could be a jumping off point for discussing RB vs WR or if you want (since they seem to come up together) the "mainstream" analysts and their value - that said I hate NFL's fantasy analysis outside of Matt Harmon (the WR guy in the video - shocker lol)

DDFP: Is the zero running back strategy 'Dead or Alive?'

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Id post this video I saw today here. Not the most informative video (like at all) but it does show the "mainstream" guys or whatever you wanna call them talking both sides of the WR vs RB debate. Thought it could be a jumping off point for discussing RB vs WR or if you want (since they seem to come up together) the "mainstream" analysts and their value - that said I hate NFL's fantasy analysis outside of Matt Harmon (the WR guy in the video - shocker lol)

DDFP: Is the zero running back strategy 'Dead or Alive?'

I like the point that the guy in the middle made at the beginning. You should never enter any draft with a set strategy. Take the values as they come. That might mean zero RB depending on what happens in front of you, but planning to go that route in most leagues is a bad idea. Especially since the top 3 WRs are all top 5 picks this season. It worked much better in past seasons when you could land 2 elite WRs at the end of round 1.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the point that the guy in the middle made at the beginning. You should never enter any draft with a set strategy. Take the values as they come. That might mean zero RB depending on what happens in front of you, but planning to go that route in most leagues is a bad idea. Especially since the top 3 WRs are all top 5 picks this season. It worked much better in past seasons when you could land 2 elite WRs at the end of round 1.

I agree you cant lock yourself in. And even the guy arguing for zero RB had taken 2 RBs early as Fabiano pointed out. Its more that you CAN use zero RB as a viable strategy - which Harmon was trying to say but Fabiano couldnt shut up.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this as well. I did a draft in my work league where I picked 2 QBs and 4 WRs before I picked my 2nd RB. People who have been in leagues with me for years would never believe that. I usually wait on QBs and load up on RBs, but that's not where the value was in this particular draft.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i certainly didn't go into last year wanting tho do zero RB's, but, like everyone has echoed, the flow of the draft dictated it to me. Didn't take my first RB till round 5, Duke Johnson.. then Ivory in the 6th, Blount in the 7th, and s. Draughn later on. Now, I lucked out in Blount... but, the strategy was a weekly struggle, constantly looking for a viable RB. I made the playoffs, but i also made a shitload of trades, claims and pickups.

My point being, any strategy can work, but some rewrite me attention and effort than others. The zero RB strategy is easily one of the most difficult, and shouldn't be pandered as advice to anyone other than seasoned pros looking for a challenge

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem isn't the zero RB or zero whatever strategy, problem is that these strategies are talked up, but the average drafter does not understand what they mean...

for example, if you do draft with the zero RB, you better have a heavy dose of RB on your bench... having a balanced bench is just going to hurt ya...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be getting old, that video was too loud

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with it in Suicide to an extent. Went RB with four straight picks after going WR/WR

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position values change too much from year to year to have a set plan. Not to mention not all drafts will fall the same. The strategy should always be to have no plan, and let the value dictate every move. Plain & simple!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position values change too much from year to year to have a set plan. Not to mention not all drafts will fall the same. The strategy should always be to have no plan, and let the value dictate every move. Plain & simple!

I don't have a problem with coming into the draft with a plan... i think your NO PLAN plan is as much of a plan as zero RB, Zero WR, Zero QB, or whatever... In fact, i think most of us follow the plan of going into the third round already owning a WR and RB...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i follow the same plan in over 90% of my drafts - be one of the last 4 owners to draft a starting QB, and one of the 1st 6 owners to draft a backup QB.

Don't always stick to it, but that's always the plan.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with coming into the draft with a plan... i think your NO PLAN plan is as much of a plan as zero RB, Zero WR, Zero QB, or whatever... In fact, i think most of us follow the plan of going into the third round already owning a WR and RB...
Fair enough. Most of us just have "guidelines" for how we'd like to draft, but don't always necessarily stick to it. I think only Brees#1 will tell you who & where he will draft every single player lol.

Fleener in the 6th! Hell hath no fury should someone draft him in the 5th!

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to double dip with later QBs. I'll take one around 6th-7th round or so and come back a couple rounds later for another one. With so much of your production predicated upon one starter, I always feel compelled to have a strong backup plan should the unforeseen happen. I also understand the philosophy behind not drafting a 2nd QB who will ride the pine in most weeks - and to me, I would do it if I was cocksure my stud would perform that way and I'd never have to bench him. If I completely strike out on QB I will shuffle my starter off waivers as needed, but I really hate doing that.
I find myself balancing out my RB/WR spots early, leaning more toward RB as I draft (likely due to bust potential). But I don't take very many late WRs (usually just 1). I would guess that almost all of my drafts end up with my last 6 picks in some order: TE, QB2, Def, WR, RB, K. Very seldom do I draft a TE earlier than the 8th round, whether that is intentional or not, it just is that way. I see the value in having a good one in the same way I see the value in having a good defense.