• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your top 10 coaches in the country

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'd take the great coach who isn't the great recruiter over the great recruiter who isn't a very good coach everyday of the week. For one, a great coach can develop and coach up players and get the most out of them, and that combined with his great coaching skills, he can win DESPITE not having the best recruits, and his winning will do alot of the recruiting for him, whereas the crappy coach who constantly CONS recruits into coming and playing for him, and then continues to disappoint, well, recruits will eventually figure this out and won't want to play for him anymore.

Now I happen to think that Coach Fleck is both a great coach and at least a pretty good recruiter, and his recruiting capabilities will continue to improve as long as he's winning the games he's supposed to and a few that he wasn't supposed to.

Since UMn got their new DC midway through last year, they have gone 15-3, with 2 losses to the last 2 West Div Champs and then our border rival Iowa. Wins include a win over Wisconsin, a bowl win over Georgia Tech, a win over the Auburn team that beat both Bama and Oregon, and then of course, Top Ten ranked Penn St. And they outscored those 15 opponents, for the most part, by large margins, with 2 of the losses being close contests, all with a very young offense, most of whom were just Sophmores this season.
I like great coaches too. And they can hang around in their conference by coaching up the players they ARE able to recruit. But, when is the last time a team without top 10-15 recruiting classes won a natty. Baylor was a feel good story this year but they got just about all they could out of their talent and it still wasn't good enough.

Look at Meyer. Could he have won a natty at Bowling Green or Utah? Doubtful. Was he able to when he was recruiting to places like Florida and Ohio State? Hell yeah.

As good as Saban and Dabo are, they couldn't recruit well enough to win a natty if they were at my school!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, just checked. That team put more players in the NFL than MN has in the last 20 years.

And Minnesota had such a huge headstart on Iowa at putting players in the NFL, that Iowa might still be trying to catch up? And Iowa puts NOBODY into the NHL, has always been behind UMn at putting people into the NBA, and I'd bet alot that they are way ahead at putting players into MLB as well. Iowa MIGHT put more into the WWE than Minnesota, but even that is questionable as UMn can claim Bronko Nagurski, Leo Nomellini, Verne Gagne, Rick Flair & Brock Lesnar, just to name the top guys.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Minnesota had such a huge headstart on Iowa at putting players in the NFL, that Iowa might still be trying to catch up? And Iowa puts NOBODY into the NHL, has always been behind UMn at putting people into the NBA, and I'd bet alot that they are way ahead at putting players into MLB as well. Iowa MIGHT put more into the WWE than Minnesota, but even that is questionable as UMn can claim Bronko Nagurski, Leo Nomellini, Verne Gagne, Rick Flair & Brock Lesnar, just to name the top guys.

Hockey?

giphy.gif

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, same as the gophers in our lifetime. Now talk about the invention of the internet, pussy

Yeah, UMn invented the internet, so what? UMn also owned cfb in a way that Iowa NEVER HAS, and NEVER WILL.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota claiming the 1960 title is a joke BTW. Right up there with Bama claiming the 64 title.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, UMn invented the internet, so what? UMn also owned cfb in a way that Iowa NEVER HAS, and NEVER WILL.

Congratulations on "owning" an era from a century ago.

Also, on a related note, congratulations to the Spanish Armada for having total dominion over the oceans.

Both are equally relevant today.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They manage fine? I'm not even sure what you are talking about right now? What are you talking about? Strength of Scedules?

All of them play quality opponents in OOC play. They play in your league, so why is Minnesota cowering from competition unlike the rest of the league?

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC that was 30 years before pagers were invented. Nobody gives a fuck what happened in the 40's when it comes to CF

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota claiming the 1960 title is a joke BTW. Right up there with Bama claiming the 64 title.

A joke? They picked the Natl Champs BEFORE the bowl games back then, and UMn had CRUSHED the #2 ranked team, going in, and it wasn't even close.

Every team that year had at least loss, except a southern team that played a weak ass schedule to the point of playing an UNRANKED team in their bowl game.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was MY opinion. I'm sure it will take a little more time for the rest of the country to catch up to my opinion.

And most of the offense that returns in 2020, will return in 2021 as well, and by 2021 the defense could be in really good shape. So I don't see there being a significant drop. 9 or 10 wins next year and 10+ in 2021 will go along ways towards solidifying his #3 spot. Can't reliably predict much beyond that.

You don’t actually believe this nonsense you are spewing do you? It’s going to take more than 2 more years and at least one national championship to put fleck anywhere close to the top 5. He isn’t even top 10 now. Even if he does win 9 or 10 games the next two years, it’s not going to catapult him that high.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A joke? They picked the Natl Champs BEFORE the bowl games back then, and UMn had CRUSHED the #2 ranked team, going in, and it wasn't even close.

Every team that year had at least loss, except a southern team that played a weak ass schedule to the point of playing an UNRANKED team in their bowl game.

Nothing says "champion" like getting smoked in your bowl game.

giphy.gif

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That bowl game was the Sugar Bowl.

Ole Miss was 10-0-1

Minnesota was 8-2.

Joke.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them play quality opponents in OOC play. They play in your league, so why is Minnesota cowering from competition unlike the rest of the league?

How is Minnesota "cowering" from tough competition?

In recent years I remember 2 games vs TCU, 2 games vs USC, we have UNC sceduled in the future.

Our 3 ooc teams this year had very good records last year, they just happened to all slip down this year.

I believe all 3 of them had at least 9 or 10 wins last season. FAU finished #27 this year.