• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Texas Rangers are 2015 AL West Champions!

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish won't be able to be counted on until the ASB probably. Not sure they can afford to let Gallardo and Colby go as well. I see a QO made to Gallardo, which he will decline without a doubt, and then what? You have Hamels, Holland and Perez, with Chi Chi and NMart as options for the rotation possibly as well, I guess. Chi Chi needs an out pitch. After leaving Colby out of the postseason rotation, will he be ready to come back at a discount again? Doubtful, we shall see. Lets get the speculation under way on all these moves
There probably is a good chance they bring Colby back. I was just trying to get a feel of how much money we had to work with. I personally think they bring in one back end of the rotation piece to fill out the rotation and let Chi Chi or Nick take Yu's spot until he comes back which I think will be sometime in May. Colby could be that pitcher they bring in.

I guess there is always a possibility of getting a pitcher back in trade for Mitch.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There probably is a good chance they bring Colby back. I was just trying to get a feel of how much money we had to work with. I personally think they bring in one back end of the rotation piece to fill out the rotation and let Chi Chi or Nick take Yu's spot until he comes back which I think will be sometime in May. Colby could be that pitcher they bring in.

I guess there is always a possibility of getting a pitcher back in trade for Mitch.

Not interested in trading Mitch and to be honest Chi Chi and Nick both need to spend time at AAA developing another pitch in my book. A good starter need 3 or 4 good pitches he can rely on and both seem to only have 2. I bring back Colby and I do QO on Gallardo and hope he takes it

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. I think that both need a year at AAA but I bring them both to ST.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both force their way onto the field around the all star break.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not interested in trading Mitch and to be honest Chi Chi and Nick both need to spend time at AAA developing another pitch in my book. A good starter need 3 or 4 good pitches he can rely on and both seem to only have 2. I bring back Colby and I do QO on Gallardo and hope he takes it

Gallardo won't take the QO. Bet the house on that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both performed admirably here earlier this year at times. I don't think counting on the one who shows the most in ST to make it until Yu gets back is expecting too much at all. Either are capable of filling in temporarily right now and a lot of times pitchers their age come to ST better pitchers than when they left at the end of the preceding year.

You might not be interested in trading Mitch, but given that he is a free agent at the end of 2016 it might be wise to trade him while he is at his peak value.

If you bring back both Colby and Gallardo then you have 6 starters when Yu comes back and that seems like a misuse of available funds to me. Having 6 starters means you are going short elsewhere. If you want a 6th starter to provide insurance then he probably needs to make a good deal less than what those two will command.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i would be surprised too but it would give them the opportunity to work with him and also pick up a draft pick if he doesn't. and who knows he might think i can earn nearly 16M with the Rangers for the 2016 season and if i produce it strengthens my bid for a multi-year after the season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both performed admirably here earlier this year at times. I don't think counting on the one who shows the most in ST to make it until Yu gets back is expecting too much at all. Either are capable of filling in temporarily right now and a lot of times pitchers their age come to ST better pitchers than when they left at the end of the preceding year.

You might not be interested in trading Mitch, but given that he is a free agent at the end of 2016 it might be wise to trade him while he is at his peak value.

If you bring back both Colby and Gallardo then you have 6 starters when Yu comes back and that seems like a misuse of available funds to me. Having 6 starters means you are going short elsewhere. If you want a 6th starter to provide insurance then he probably needs to make a good deal less than what those two will command.

and how many times have we come up short in the SP area over the last 2 or 3 years? and if when Yu is ready around the trade deadline/ASG having that extra starter could be translated into a position player need that might arise through the trade route.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here. Brinson could be the one if DDJ doesn't continue to amaze in the leadoff position
I think they would like to give Brinson more AAA time than Mazara at this point. Look for Mazara to come up with the first Hamilton injury as Romeo has mentioned before. With Brinson it might take an injury to DeShields, but I don't think even that brings him up until he has a couple more months to show what he can do at AAA. Who knows though, they could wow the team this winter and be a lot closer than I think.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how many times have we come up short in the SP area over the last 2 or 3 years? and if when Yu is ready around the trade deadline/ASG having that extra starter could be translated into a position player need that might arise through the trade route.
What if Yu is ready before mid May when there isn't a trade market available to speak of?

We have come up short due to injuries and yet they still don't bring 6 well qualified and well paid starters to camp for insurance. They almost always use minor leaguers and veterans who are so desperate they will sign a very cheap one year contract to prove themselves to provide depth.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if Yu is ready before mid May when there isn't a trade market available to speak of?

We have come up short due to injuries and yet they still don't bring 6 well qualified and well paid starters to camp for insurance. They almost always use minor leaguers and veterans who are so desperate they will sign a very cheap one year contract to prove themselves to provide depth.

Too many SP is a problem I'd like to have.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Mitch, if we're going to replace him with a legitimate bat. Mitch's value will never be higher. Now's the time to move him. Napoli could play 1b, but I'm not sure he'll give us consistent production all year, still an option.

I agree on the value of MM completely. And we've got to get rid of a left-handed bat. Seems like perfect timing to move him to me.

Again, you and Scotty are misinterpreting what I'm saying about DeShields. I like him a lot, but there's no comparison of ceilings between he and Brinson and Mazara. If Brinson and Mazara meet their potential, and with us having Choo for the foreseeable future, where does he fit in? I'm not kicking DeShields out the door. I'm going to make those guys earn it. But if they do, we're in a great spot.

I honestly don't know what DeShields ceiling is since I thought his ceiling this year was our basement. Banister kept saying his arm was getting stronger, and I believe it did some, since he was making the transition from the INF to the OF. And you're right in that if someone forces themselves into the lineup, so be it and good for us.

I think we're pretty much on the same page actually.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many SP is a problem I'd like to have.
Everyone, but the budget makers would love to have that problem. Most of the time it is an unaffordable luxury unless you are the Yankees or Dodgers. I just don't recall us bringing in those kind of pitchers to ST in the past for depth purposes. I highly doubt they would bring back both Gallardo and Colby. They may not bring back either. They could always look for another pitcher besides those two.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know what DeShields ceiling is since I thought his ceiling this year was our basement. Banister kept saying his arm was getting stronger, and I believe it did some, since he was making the transition from the INF to the OF. And you're right in that if someone forces themselves into the lineup, so be it and good for us.

I think we're pretty much on the same page actually.
The trick is, how to they prove they are ready without displacing Delino while they prove it? Also, how soon after they start getting regular playing time do you give them to prove it? Do you simply look at what they are doing in AAA and trust your developmental people when they say they are ready? That is what we faced with Profar replacing Kinsler a couple of years ago. Sometimes a leap of faith is needed because true proof can't be given in advance. That is tough to do.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. It would be great if they could keep him around, but I think he will be looking for more money than they are willing to spend. I bet they can bring Colby back though. Can have a rotation of Hamels, Martin, Holland, Lewis and a series of young arms until Yu gets back. That would be a better situation than they were in to start this season anyhow.

They desperately need to find some more offensive production somewhere. Mitch isn't a 5-hole guy, more like a 7-hole. They really need a power right handed bat...easier said than done to find one tho.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how has that worked out? You get what you pay for with desperate veterans. And what says you have wait until the trade deadline? But I don't think they want to rush Yu and the normal recovery time for TJ surgery is 14-16 months which would put his return more toward the 1st of June or slightly later.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to disagree but how much more is a pitcher worth that can't get through 5.1or.2 innings than a QO?