• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Texas Rangers are 2015 AL West Champions!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like there's some speculation that Perez will not make the PO roster. Been hearing this on the radio today.
I think that is a huge mistake. You have to go with who is doing best now not who has done the best in 2011.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is a huge mistake. You have to go with who is doing best now not who has done the best in 2011.

Toronto crushes lefties... plus just coming back from TJ --- I'd be ok with it.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going with a vet in a big game scenario isnt' a terrible decision, but I'd still make room for Perez on the roster...for relief if nothing else.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gallardo has held Toronto scoreless in his last two starts and he's been a game one starter before. Nothing about this decision is terrible.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should definitely be on the roster I think. I wouldn't even mind him starting.

Many think you have to go with the veteran over the young guys, but Joe Maddon proved that theory doesn't always hold up when he started Matt Moore against us a few years back. The kid shut down a great lineup for 7 innings against us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should definitely be on the roster I think. I wouldn't even mind him starting.

Many think you have to go with the veteran over the young guys, but Joe Maddon proved that theory doesn't always hold up when he started Matt Moore against us a few years back. The kid shut down a great lineup for 7 innings against us.

Apples and oranges, but I see what you're getting at. With that said, I may let the series dictate who starts and when, but I'd definitely have Perez on the roster.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo has held Toronto scoreless in his last two starts and he's been a game one starter before. Nothing about this decision is terrible.
I was the first to say Gallardo should start game 1 based on his 2 starts against Toronto this year. My issue is leaving Perez off the roster plus he should start game 3 at home because he has been great at home in his last few starts. I cannot see our 2nd best pitcher right now not making one of the starts. Problem is he is the path of least resistance. Colby and Holland would have an issue being left off. There is no way Holland who is a lefty for those who want to make an issue on that has pitched better than Perez lately.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With you all the way on this Saddles.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was the first to say Gallardo should start game 1 based on his 2 starts against Toronto this year. My issue is leaving Perez off the roster plus he should start game 3 at home because he has been great at home in his last few starts. I cannot see our 2nd best pitcher right now not making one of the starts. Problem is he is the path of least resistance. Colby and Holland would have an issue being left off. There is no way Holland who is a lefty for those who want to make an issue on that has pitched better than Perez lately.

I want holland in the rotation. He's been there and he can shut opposing teams down every bit as well or better than Perez.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone should be left out of the rotation, its the Colbra. He's the weakest of the 5 pitchers and most apt to give up a crooked number against a power hitting lineup.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone should be left out of the rotation, its the Colbra. He's the weakest of the 5 pitchers and most apt to give up a crooked number against a power hitting lineup.

You've lost your mind!

He's been a very effective starter all season, and pitched very well down the stretch. I'm much more leery of Holland myself.

It was bantered around here earlier that one of the younger guys - Martinez or Gonzalez - may make the BP PS for long relief. For me, I'd have those two at home and have Lewis/Perez/Holland ready to start as the situation dictated.

Incidentally, too everyone else, this is the example I was speaking of this morning on all the "likes."

Last edited:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throw season stats out with Colby. He's money in the playoffs.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he has been in the past. Let's hope 4 years at his age isn't enough to make the past seem like ancient history. His last start had a lot of postseason atmosphere to it and he didn't fare so well. I hope he is still that guy who turns it up a notch in the postseason, but I don't know if it is a given.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've lost your mind!

He's been a very effective starter all season, and pitched very well down the stretch. I'm much more leery of Holland myself.

It was bantered around here earlier that one of the younger guys - Martinez or Gonzalez - may make the BP PS for long relief. For me, I'd have those two at home and have Lewis/Perez/Holland ready to start as the situation dictated.

Incidentally, too everyone else, this is the example I was speaking of this morning on all the "likes."

He's been a bulldog all season and has had prior success in the playoffs, but when he's off hes REALLY off. Some of the worst blowout games this season have come with Colby on the mound. He is easily the weakest link in the starting rotation...a fine 5th starter, but at this point in his career, nothing more and he's super susceptible to the long ball...which just so happens to be what Toronto does well.

Colby doesn't have shut down stuff anymore and in all likelihood only give you 5-6 innings. It's taxing to a bullpen that will likely be taxed this series. His home ERA is over 5.00 on the season....and I'm not sure he's pitched all that well down the stretch. He had that one near perfect game but his ERA for August, Sep, and Oct are as follows: 4.78, 4.70, 11.25. He has been marginally better post allstar break than pre: 4.53 ERA vs 4.77.

That said, I would feel more confident with him on the mound in an away game than I would Perez, but at home give me Perez.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he has been in the past. Let's hope 4 years at his age isn't enough to make the past seem like ancient history. His last start had a lot of postseason atmosphere to it and he didn't fare so well. I hope he is still that guy who turns it up a notch in the postseason, but I don't know if it is a given.
That is what I have been referencing too as well. We need to look at who is doing the job now not 4 years ago and Perez did have to pitch in some big situations. But I knew this was going to be a tough call on who to leave out. I thought I would look at the last 28 and 14 day splits and here their ERAs for those two metrics.
Colby - 28-4.55/14-7.98
Holland - 28-7.62/14-5.56
Perez - 28-3.41/14-2.65

I still think it goes down to Holland and Colby to leave out and I think it could be Holland. But his is a tough call either way and I understand that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a bulldog all season and has had prior success in the playoffs, but when he's off hes REALLY off. Some of the worst blowout games this season have come with Colby on the mound. He is easily the weakest link in the starting rotation...a fine 5th starter, but at this point in his career, nothing more and he's super susceptible to the long ball...which just so happens to be what Toronto does well.

Colby doesn't have shut down stuff anymore and in all likelihood only give you 5-6 innings. It's taxing to a bullpen that will likely be taxed this series. His home ERA is over 5.00 on the season....and I'm not sure he's pitched all that well down the stretch. He had that one near perfect game but his ERA for August, Sep, and Oct are as follows: 4.78, 4.70, 11.25. He has been marginally better post allstar break than pre: 4.53 ERA vs 4.77.

That said, I would feel more confident with him on the mound in an away game than I would Perez, but at home give me Perez.

Colby hasn't had shut down stuff since 2010. Colby has always had blow out games. He's really no different now than he was in 2010 or 2011.

Last edited:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I have been referencing too as well. We need to look at who is doing the job now not 4 years ago and Perez did have to pitch in some big situations. But I knew this was going to be a tough call on who to leave out. I thought I would look at the last 28 and 14 day splits and here their ERAs for those two metrics.
Colby - 28-4.55/14-7.98
Holland - 28-7.62/14-5.56
Perez - 28-3.41/14-2.65

I still think it goes down to Holland and Colby to leave out and I think it could be Holland. But his is a tough call either way and I understand that.

To me it comes down to upside potential. If Holland has his good stuff, he can throw you a gem...maybe even a shutout. If Colby has his good stuff, he will keep you in the game.

Holland and Perez might be riskier with their inconsistencies, but their upside potentials far outweigh Colby's.