• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your team has the 1st pick in the 2017 draft..who do you take ?..

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. If the best player in the draft is a center and you already have a great center, it doesn't make sense to draft another one unless you plan on making a trade.

Everyone uses the "Blazers passed on MJ" thing to bolster that argument. The Blazers already had Clyde Drexler (who I hear was pretty good) and needed a center. Folks knew MJ was going to be good, but no one knew he was going to be the GOAT.

Bowie's problem was injuries. Had he been able to stay healthy, it's likely that no one criticizes the Blazers for making that pick, just like no one criticizes the Rockets for taking Olajuwon ahead of MJ.

Agree.

The only way you pass on the guy you wanted is if you have a Webber deal already hammered out.

They raped the Warriors and still got the guy they wanted.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing you aren't a gm. You'd be a massive failure.

Drafts a crapshot, unless you are the Spurs.

I agree that their are certain guys that you just don't pass on, despite what you already have on your roster.

But, in the last 20 years, who coming out of Highschool/College falls into that category of no brainer?

Shaq, Anthony Davis, LeBron, Duncan.....

Curry wasn't Curry until he was in the NBA a few Seasons.

He was a monster in the Tourney. But, nobody, outside of Jerry West, saw this coming.

Ditto for Kobe.

There was a real debate over who should go #1 between Kyrie and Williams, Howard and Okafor , Oden and Durant and it was based on talent as well as positional needs.

The Cavs, Magic got it right. Portland fell victim to the injury Gods again.

It's easy to say the choose wrong now. But, at the time?

If you think the talent level is within reason, why wouldn't you take the guy that you actually need?

Maybe they need better Doctors.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns get #1.

Celtics 2, Lakers 3.

Nope, Sixers are getting 1 and 4 and in a few years will be the best team in the league, especially when we get the first pick in 2019 from Sacramento.
Fulz
Jackson
Saric
Simmons
Embid

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, Sixers are getting 1 and 4 and in a few years will be the best team in the league, especially when we get the first pick in 2019 from Sacramento.
Fulz
Jackson
Saric
Simmons
Embid
We will find out shortly.

Good luck.

:suds:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafts a crapshot, unless you are the Spurs.

I agree that their are certain guys that you just don't pass on, despite what you already have on your roster.

But, in the last 20 years, who coming out of Highschool/College falls into that category of no brainer?

Shaq, Anthony Davis, LeBron, Duncan.....

Curry wasn't Curry until he was in the NBA a few Seasons.

He was a monster in the Tourney. But, nobody, outside of Jerry West, saw this coming.

Ditto for Kobe.

There was a real debate over who should go #1 between Kyrie and Williams, Howard and Okafor , Oden and Durant and it was based on talent as well as positional needs.

The Cavs, Magic got it right. Portland fell victim to the injury Gods again.

It's easy to say the choose wrong now. But, at the time?

If you think the talent level is within reason, why wouldn't you take the guy that you actually need?

Maybe they need better Doctors.
I remember Howard being a no brainer. And I agree to some extent, it's why I said when you are picking high. If you don't pick the BPA in the top 3, you have a much higher probability of passing on a special player than later on.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz for the Raptors, there's your replacement for Lowry.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because you'd just tear up the league. Resorting to insults just shows you have no logical response.
I already did. Your response added nothing new to the flawed logic you originally stated, so I responded with some commentary instead.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already did. Your response added nothing new to the flawed logic you originally stated, so I responded with some commentary instead.

No, You responded with an insult because you know you're wrong, lack the class to admit it and are trying to save face by resorting to insults.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, You responded with an insult because you know you're wrong, lack the class to admit it and are trying to save face by resorting to insults.
Well, I will not insult you this time then good sir. Even though your response added nothing but speculation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I will not insult you this time then good sir. Even though your response added nothing but speculation.

Some of it is speculation. I mean, there's obviously speculation in how his career may have turned out had he been able to stay healthy.

However, what's not speculation is that the Blazers already had a Hall of Famer at the very position MJ played, needed a center and that, at the time, absolutely no one was criticizing the Blazers for drafting Bowie.

As a matter of fact, the thought at the time was that it would possibly put the Blazers in position to be a true threat to the Showtime Lakers.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fultz +lowry=better

No team can afford to tie up 2 big contracts in PGs. They have DeRozan at SG who is a good enough passer to play PG and a very good backup PG, it's one or the other and Lowry is proven. Josh Jackson at SF would be their best move, or trade the spot.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team can afford to tie up 2 big contracts in PGs. They have DeRozan at SG who is a good enough passer to play PG and a very good backup PG, it's one or the other and Lowry is proven. Josh Jackson at SF would be their best move, or trade the spot.
the cap keeps going swtich one to SF

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one talks about how going BPA doesn't always work either -- the 76ers attempted to go BPA the last few years. In many ways, it has worked out well. In some ways, it hasn't -- see Jahlil Okafor. I think it's a good overall strategy, but it doesn't always work. If the 76ers are on the clock this year and the best player available is a center, I don't see any way that they draft that player. Luckily, that won't be the case.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What? DeRozan can't play point guard.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lauri Markkanen

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one talks about how going BPA doesn't always work either -- the 76ers attempted to go BPA the last few years. In many ways, it has worked out well. In some ways, it hasn't -- see Jahlil Okafor.

Agree. Part of the problem with going BPA is that you can end up logjammed at certain spots. The 76ers got themselves a nice group of bigs...but they have no guards. They became the opposite of the Suns from a couple of years ago who seemed to be trying to put together a team of all point guards.

I think it's a good overall strategy, but it doesn't always work. If the 76ers are on the clock this year and the best player available is a center, I don't see any way that they draft that player. Luckily, that won't be the case.

Exactly. Drafting the BPA is a good strategy when you have a lot of holes to fill or if that player seems to be an obvious generational type player (Lebron, Shaq, etc.).

But when you already have good players at some positions, then you need to draft the player who best fills a need.