• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your team has the 1st pick in the 2017 draft..who do you take ?..

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the sake of conversation you can't trade the pick, you keep the player you draft for the team you have.
Since The Hawks have their PG I'm taking the best non-PG Josh Jackson. He has a chance to be among the top 5 SG/SF types in the league in a few years in my opinion.

You're on the clock.....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking Tatum from Duke. Miami doesn't need a PG right now. Dragic is coming off one of the best seasons of his career.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking Tatum from Duke. Miami doesn't need a PG right now. Dragic is coming off one of the best seasons of his career.

Tatum is a safe pick, he'll be a good NBA player.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the sake of conversation you can't trade the pick, you keep the player you draft for the team you have.
Since The Hawks have their PG I'm taking the best non-PG Josh Jackson. He has a chance to be among the top 5 SG/SF types in the league in a few years in my opinion.

You're on the clock.....
Never ever ever ever draft in the lottery by need. You always take the best player available. It's why the blazers passed on Jordan.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never ever ever ever draft in the lottery by need. You always take the best player available. It's why the blazers passed on Jordan.

I see Jackson as right there with the best in this draft.
I wouldn't reach and I might would trade down if it was an option, but the point of this thread is narrow, it's a question of which player you'd take and keep for the roster your team has.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Jackson as right there with the best in this draft.
I wouldn't reach and I might would trade down if it was an option, but the point of this thread is narrow, it's a question of which player you'd take and keep for the roster your team has.
I guess I get it. Everyone's answer should be fultz though. I think a better question would be what player do you want from this draft the most regardless of where they go.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I get it. Everyone's answer should be fultz though. I think a better question would be what player do you want from this draft the most regardless of where they go.

We've already done the who is the best player in this draft, I even have a poll up, Fultz is running away with it of course.
I want this to be specifically about team need and which player fits that need best.
Again though, Jackson isn't a reach, he's right there with the best in my opinion. He could be a Kawhi Leonard type who is extremely strong on defense and very solid all around.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've already done the who is the best player in this draft, I even have a poll up, Fultz is running away with it of course.
I want this to be specifically about team need and which player fits that need best.
Again though, Jackson isn't a reach, he's right there with the best in my opinion. He could be a Kawhi Leonard type who is extremely strong on defense and very solid all around.
Yeah, there's a lot of good players in this draft.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree. If the best player in the draft is a center and you already have a great center, it doesn't make sense to draft another one unless you plan on making a trade.

Everyone uses the "Blazers passed on MJ" thing to bolster that argument. The Blazers already had Clyde Drexler (who I hear was pretty good) and needed a center. Folks knew MJ was going to be good, but no one knew he was going to be the GOAT.

Bowie's problem was injuries. Had he been able to stay healthy, it's likely that no one criticizes the Blazers for making that pick, just like no one criticizes the Rockets for taking Olajuwon ahead of MJ.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. If the best player in the draft is a center and you already have a great center, it doesn't make sense to draft another one unless you plan on making a trade.

Everyone uses the "Blazers passed on MJ" thing to bolster that argument. The Blazers already had Clyde Drexler (who I hear was pretty good) and needed a center. Folks knew MJ was going to be good, but no one knew he was going to be the GOAT.

Bowie's problem was injuries. Had he been able to stay healthy, it's likely that no one criticizes the Blazers for making that pick, just like no one criticizes the Rockets for taking Olajuwon ahead of MJ.
MJ was a much better draft prospect than Bowie. When you are picking that high, you take BPA, regardless of position. Even if you already have someone great at that position. Like you said, you might be picking him just to trade him, but you don't pass up that value. It's stupid to pass up BPA because you're already set there. Bowie over MJ because of Clyde the glyde is only one example of it, but other teams have been burned because of it as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ was a much better draft prospect than Bowie.

Uh, no he wasn't. No one knew he was going to be as good as he turned out to be. Again, if not for injuries, no one would be using Bowie over MJ as a cautionary tale. Additionally, at that time, you had to have a top level center if you wanted to win. Bowie was seen as a top level center.

When you are picking that high, you take BPA, regardless of position. Even if you already have someone great at that position.

The Blazers already had a future Hall of Famer at the same position. They could have possibly moved Drexler to SF, but as I said, at the time, having a top center was about as mandatory as having a top guard or SF is now. Their center prior to Bowie, was Mychal Thompson who was better suited to play PF in the NBA (he played PF when Bowie was healthy).

At the time the Blazers made the pick, it was the correct one and no one criticized them for it. It was only after MJ exploded and Bowie couldn't stay healthy that the narrative changed and people started criticizing them for that pick.

Like you said, you might be picking him just to trade him, but you don't pass up that value.

You do when you need a center and a very highly rated one is available in the draft. There was no guarantee that they would have been able to get the player they needed via trade.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toss up between Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft lottery is Tuesday night!!!!!

should be a VERY VERY interesting evening...

Celtics, Phoenix, Lakers, Sixers, Kings fans i think all have a lot riding on that draft lottery....should be fun!!!!!!!!

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft lottery is Tuesday night!!!!!

should be a VERY VERY interesting evening...

Celtics, Phoenix, Lakers, Sixers, Kings fans i think all have a lot riding on that draft lottery....should be fun!!!!!!!!

Suns get #1.

Celtics 2, Lakers 3.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no he wasn't. No one knew he was going to be as good as he turned out to be. Again, if not for injuries, no one would be using Bowie over MJ as a cautionary tale. Additionally, at that time, you had to have a top level center if you wanted to win. Bowie was seen as a top level center.

The Blazers already had a future Hall of Famer at the same position. They could have possibly moved Drexler to SF, but as I said, at the time, having a top center was about as mandatory as having a top guard or SF is now. Their center prior to Bowie, was Mychal Thompson who was better suited to play PF in the NBA (he played PF when Bowie was healthy).

At the time the Blazers made the pick, it was the correct one and no one criticized them for it. It was only after MJ exploded and Bowie couldn't stay healthy that the narrative changed and people started criticizing them for that pick.

You do when you need a center and a very highly rated one is available in the draft. There was no guarantee that they would have been able to get the player they needed via trade.
It's a good thing you aren't a gm. You'd be a massive failure.