• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Playoff top 6?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consensus among the national writers seem to think it's Bama/UGA in any order, followed by ND at 3. Then I've see any variation of Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State at #4. Seems to me they think the top 3 is pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings will take care of themselves. If i were in the B12, ACC, or PAC, i'd be very nervous about Georgia and Notre Dame tho.

The B1G champ is getting in, especially if form holds and its an unbeaten Wisky vs 1-loss Ohio State in the CCG.

If the SEC CCG is unbeaten UGA vs unbeaten Alabama, I have to think there's a good shot both get in, ESPECIALLY if UGA pulls the upset.

Notre Dame is in if they run the table.

There is nothing the other conferences can do about it if those scenarios play out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings will take care of themselves. If i were in the B12, ACC, or PAC, i'd be very nervous about Georgia and Notre Dame tho.

The B1G champ is getting in, especially if form holds and its an unbeaten Wisky vs 1-loss Ohio State in the CCG.

If the SEC CCG is unbeaten UGA vs unbeaten Alabama, I have to think there's a good shot both get in, ESPECIALLY if UGA pulls the upset.

Notre Dame is in if they run the table.

There is nothing the other conferences can do about it if those scenarios play out.

If the following were to happen:

UGA finished 13-0
Bama finishes 12-1(loses SECCG to UGA)
ND finishes 11-1

I wonder what would happen? Could the committee leave out 3 P5 conferences? It would set up perfectly for UGA to be #1, Bama #2, ND #3 so no rematch of UGA/Bama. Then you're left deciding between the Big 12, ACC, and Big 10 winner. I'd love for this scenario to happen.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I've said all along conference parity the kiss of death. A conference is better off if there is significant separation among a few teams and the rest of 'em.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State is in a horrible lose-lose mental situation.

If we win out we can still go to a bowl game. The bad thing is...that bowl game
would probably be in Shrevport.

I don't think I would even bring it up.

Of course the Military Bowl is also a possibility. Maybe we could lobby for the Coast Guard
Academy. (They played in the Tangerine Bowl once)

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UGA finished 13-0
ND finishes 11-1

I wonder what would happen? Could the committee leave out 3 P5 conferences? It would set up perfectly for UGA to be #1, Bama #2, ND #3 so no rematch of UGA/Bama. Then you're left deciding between the Big 12, ACC, and Big 10 winner. I'd love for this scenario to happen.

UGA, BAMA and ND are all in.

As would be the B1G winner (assuming it's 1-loss Ohio St vs unbeaten Wisconsin). ACC, B12, and PAC all outside looking in.

I think the SEC will get both Georgia and Alabama in if the following occur:

1. Both teams are unbeaten heading into the game
2. The game is close

Those happen, and i think they're both in. If the game is a blowout, then there's a good chance the loser is left out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UGA finished 13-0
ND finishes 11-1

I don't see them putting Bama in. In all honesty, Bama's resume isn't going to look great by year's end. There's a very real chance they will finish the year with 2 ranked wins, neither being top 15 teams. It's more than likely that Auburn is going to be 8-4 with both Bama and UGA on their schedule yet. LSU and Mississippi St. could both finish 9-3, but neither has looked impressive yet this year. Not beating UGA would not look good, and when you factor in UGA at 13-0 and SEC champs, ND 11-1 with some major wins and only a 1-point loss to Georgia, either 13-0 Wisconsin or 12-1 Ohio State from the B1G, a likely 12-1 champ from the Big 12 with multiple ranked wins, and 12-1 Clemson with likely 3-4 ranked wins, I don't see how you include Alabama.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As would be the B1G winner (assuming it's 1-loss Ohio St vs unbeaten Wisconsin). ACC, B12, and PAC all outside looking in.

2. The game is close

Those happen, and i think they're both in. If the game is a blowout, then there's a good chance the loser is left out.

I would tend to lean towards the B1G team getting in, but a 1 loss Clemson team would make it interesting. They'd be looking at 4 potential top 25 wins, and a slew of .500+ wins. I think they'd have the better resume than the B1G winner in your scenario, assuming Ohio State does win.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them putting Bama in. In all honesty, Bama's resume isn't going to look great by year's end. There's a very real chance they will finish the year with 2 ranked wins, neither being top 15 teams. It's more than likely that Auburn is going to be 8-4 with both Bama and UGA on their schedule yet. LSU and Mississippi St. could both finish 9-3, but neither has looked impressive yet this year. Not beating UGA would not look good, and when you factor in UGA at 13-0 and SEC champs, ND 11-1 with some major wins and only a 1-point loss to Georgia, either 13-0 Wisconsin or 12-1 Ohio State from the B1G, a likely 12-1 champ from the Big 12 with multiple ranked wins, and 12-1 Clemson with likely 3-4 ranked wins, I don't see how you include Alabama.

They'd be putting Bama in similar to how the BCS put Bama in in 2011. If they think Bama is one of the best 4 teams, it'll be hard to leave them out. I think the initial ranking will be very interesting because if they put Bama #1 tomorrow, they are signifying, that despite UGA having the better resume, they simply think Bama is the #1 team. That's the part that becomes subjective at this point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be putting Bama in similar to how the BCS put Bama in in 2011. If they think Bama is one of the best 4 teams, it'll be hard to leave them out. I think the initial ranking will be very interesting because if they put Bama #1 tomorrow, they are signifying, that despite UGA having the better resume, they simply think Bama is the #1 team. That's the part that becomes subjective at this point.
That's an interesting point. However, as the season goes on, it depends on how good the rest of Bama's schedule becomes. If Auburn finishes 8-4 and gets smoked by both UGA and Bama, that starts making Bama's schedule look that much worse. The subjectivity can also allow for sudden swings from week to week. Not to say they're gonna drop Bama to 3rd or 4th if they're still unbeaten but I do like that aspect.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting how OSU, Oklahoma and Penn st are tied together and will get ranked.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not discounting it yet. I'm looking towards the future. If Auburn loses to Georgia AND Bama, that win by Clemson over them by only 7 points doesn't really look that quality of a win, so that might not help Clemson in the future.
So two other really highly ranked teams also beating a team makes it look bad for the other good teams that beat them? The LSU loss by Auburn didn't help, but I doubt Bama and Georgia will change any perception of that Clemson win. Clemson has one bad road loss, but they also won convincingly at VT and Louisville. I mean giving VT their only loss and by 16 on their turf has to be a quality win.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two other really highly ranked teams also beating a team makes it look bad for the other good teams that beat them? The LSU loss by Auburn didn't help, but I doubt Bama and Georgia will change any perception of that Clemson win. Clemson has one bad road loss, but they also won convincingly at VT and Louisville. I mean giving VT their only loss and by 16 on their turf has to be a quality win.
I don't think Clemson's loss it that bad. 3 on the road, where your QB got hurt. Syracuse is 4-4 but losses to undefeated Miami on the road, a good NC state on the road and LSU on the road.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Clemson's loss it that bad. 3 on the road, where your QB got hurt. Syracuse is 4-4 but losses to undefeated Miami on the road, a good NC state on the road and LSU on the road.
Their loss was bad, but the point was their win against Auburn won't end up looking worse because Auburn loses to both Bama and Georgia. It doesn't work like that. Auburn's loss to LSU is the only down grade on it, but it was a solid early season win against a dangerous opponent. Clemson has played better teams than most of the rest of the top 10 and that has to count more than how bad their one loss was.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clemson has 2 quality wins as of right now. Auburn and VA Tech. That Auburn win quickly becomes not so much of a quality win if Auburn goes from 6-2 to 8-4 in the last 4 weeks of the season. I don't see their VA Tech win not being a quality win, but I can't help but think that a very close game against an 8-4 Auburn team doesn't look that good. It benefits them, but not as much as a win over a 9-3 Auburn team that beats Bama or Georgia.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we are only number 9 in the country total defense...terrible! Miami will destroy us!!!! lol, Miami will get exposed.

Giving up 3 yards per rush. Also, second in the country on punt returns.

We aren't great...but good enough to beat Miami? No doubt.

And yes. MY D.

Almost 600 yards of total offense and 4 scores laugh at your D. Ohh if only that 9th ranked total defense played more then 2 offenses worth a damn.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Georgia-Best win of season
2.Bama- Beat Healthy FSU
3.NotreDame- Best Resume IMO
4.Clemson- Wins over VaTech and Barn

5.Oklahoma-beat tOSU H2H
6. tOSU-Beat Penn.State

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. The game is close

You can say that until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it true. You leave out the fact that Clemson will also play a potentially undefeated or 1 loss Miami, or a 1 loss Virginia Tech again. So they'll have played more ranked teams and more .500+ teams than Oklahoma or Ohio State. Is Syracuse worse than Oklahoma? Sure. But it was a 3 point loss away on a Friday night with an injured QB. Ohio State was completely decimated by Oklahoma at home. That's the worse loss to me. In that case, I don't know how you can put in Ohio State and leave out Oklahoma, who beat the snot out of you. If it's Wisconsin, I'd have them in. But I think you're looking through rose colored glasses at Ohio State's chances.

I'd also find it really weird to put three teams in, two of which Georgia already beat. The conference championships are a first round playoff game. You should not be able to get into the playoffs if you don't win your conference. Last year they did that, and it was an embarrassment. It also penalizes UGA for scheduling a top team during the regular season, if they have to beat them again. I say if everyone wins out and the dawgs finish undefeated, the playoffs should be something like 1. UGA, 2. Oklahoma, 3. Clemson, 4. Ohio State. (You could flip Oklahoma and Clemson, but I'll put them higher given their win over Ohio State and loss against Iowa State). Washington needs someone to lose.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY TOP SIX

1. Georgia - Perfect record, beat 7-1 Notre Dame and 6-2 Miss State

2. Notre Dame - Beaten 4 teams with a winning record, including 6-2 USC, 6-2 Michigan, and 6-2 NC State. Their only negative was losing to Georgia by 1 point.

3. Alabama - Perfect record, beaten 3 teams with a winning record. I can't put them in #2 or #3. Their best win was against 5-3 Texas A&M.

4. Clemson - Yeah they lost to 4-4 Syracuse, but on the flip side, they have beaten SIX TEAMS with a winning record, including 7-1 VT and 6-2 Auburn.

5. Penn State - They have won 7/8 games. They have beaten 5 teams with a winning record, including 6-2 Michigan.

6. Ohio State - Won 7/8 games. Beaten two teams with a winning record. The relevant one was beating Penn State. I am going to stick with PSU with the lead. They only lost by 1 point on the road, and beat more quality teams.

Close, but no cigar: Wisconsin (undefeated, too weak of a schedule, only two solid wins), Oklahoma (too weak of a schedule, only beat OSU), Miami of Florida (too weak of a schedule, only two solid wins), TCU (below .500 SOS, 3 wins against +.500 opponents, including Okie State), and Central Florida (Perfect record, Solid SOS, but didn't beat any strong P5 progams).

4/6 programs have SOS, according to Colley Matrix, in the top 22. Bama and Georgia have solid SOS numbers, but get they get brownie points for dominating their competition and staying undefeated.

The Big-12 teams and Wisky suffers from me because of their SOS. But finishing the season strong will make them move up in my eyes.