• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your playing day career highlights

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got yanked defensively in the first Varsity game I ever played in.

In the middle of an inning. As an outfielder.

I don't remember if it was the first inning, or the second inning. But it was quick. And we were in the first base dugout.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once gave up a hit to a kid with a broken leg. (Had a cast on.)

Then picked him off first and talked shit his entire walk back to the dugout. Then stuck one in his ribs his next time up.

They took him out. And somehow I didn't get tossed. Don't think the ump liked him playing any more than Indid.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one went over my head, but I can comment on the potential homosexuality of the situation. What songs were being sung? Was it like you guys all got stoned in the locker room and then played "Stairway to Heaven" in a solemn and semi-religious state, because that's ok. But if it was like Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful" or anything from George Michael, then I've got bad news for you...
We were looking for "What is the 'White Shadow'"

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
retired catcher, .425 lifetime BA, all-star D-n-O player and once hit 2 inside the park HRs in the same game.

played up until i was 14, bad knees took me out so i went surfing up until last week.

.425 lifetime BA?

who does that?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were looking for "What is the 'White Shadow'"
Oh, ok. Next reference I will make will be to the 1957 Japanese film "Throne of Blood" and I will expect you to understand it

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good of a player were you? List some of your favorite memories or accomplishments from your playing days.

I was in the 10-12 year old division of my little league, the most competitive division of the little league (after you pass the "majors" as they called it, and reached the 13-14 year old "juniors," no one really gave a shit).

My team, the A's, went something like 33-3 our two years playing together. The first two losses came in the first year, 2009, when we went like 11-0 to start the year, and then lost a regular season game to the fucking Cubs. We then lost in the championship to the Cubs (which was a crazy game).

My second year, in 2010, we went like 16-0 during the first 16 games. Our rival was still the Cubs, and we had swept them in the regular season that year. Then, during the final regular season game of the season, we played the lowly Phillies. They were decent, but probably went like 8-8 in the regular season up to that point. Our regular coach, who is probably the most fiery and abrasive person I've ever met in my life- he literally put the fear of God in you, had to miss the game to coach his high school team, so my neighbor at the time was coaching us. He was still a very good coach, but we ended up losing the game in the bottom of the 6th inning on a walk-off single to right field. I was playing first base and there was a line drive to the right fielder, who was my neighbor's son. He was small and only 10 years old, but he came up firing to home, and actually made a strong and accurate throw, but the guy on second slid and was clearly safe. Still, looking back, I was impressed that he made such a strong throw considering he was probably 5 foot.

We ended up beating the Cubs in the championship.

I hit 5th my first year in '09, then third my second year in '10. I am pretty proud of hitting third on a team that went like 19-1 or something in my little league.

I hit .472 in 2010. I had good power, but also drew a shit-ton of walks- I was a very patient player. They didn't calculate OBP's back then (or if they did, I didn't know mine), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like .600 or .650.

I played first base and right field primarily (I logged like 2 innings in center field).

I wasn't fast, but I was known as an excellent baserunner. My coach, the fiery sociopath, would constantly compliment me in front of the team and use me as an example of how to be a good baserunner. I got such a good secondary jump that if the ball got away from the catcher for a second, I took the next base. I don't ever remember getting thrown out trying to steal a base, and probably had 30 stolen bases or so, despite being of average, if not below average speed.

Alas, it all went downhill from there. But I was and am still somewhat proud of that shit.
I sucked. i still hold my high school record for home runs allowed without recording an out.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my first game on the JV high school team I was so pumped up that in my first at bat, I swung and missed so hard that I hit myself in the head with my wild follow through. I know i concussed myself but was too embarrassed to say anything. That was my career highlight.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my first game on the JV high school team I was so pumped up that in my first at bat, I swung and missed so hard that I hit myself in the head with my wild follow through. I know i concussed myself but was too embarrassed to say anything. That was my career highlight.
heres a hockey one

in college, in practice against UVM (we practiced against them every year so they could beat on us), i was hit so hard i went fully airborn, landed on my ass...and my sphincter spasm'd.

thats...not a good feeling.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team represented Ontario in the Canadian national championship tournament when I was 12. We only lost one game (as did Manitoba and B.C.) , but it was the "wrong" one in the semifinals so we finished 3rd.

I played a little in (D3) college, but while that's a better indicator of my abilities as a player the nationals as a kid was probably the "highlight" of my career.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once gave up a hit to a kid with a broken leg. (Had a cast on.)

Then picked him off first and talked shit his entire walk back to the dugout. Then stuck one in his ribs his next time up.

They took him out. And somehow I didn't get tossed. Don't think the ump liked him playing any more than Indid.

This made me laugh much harder than it should have.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sucked. i still hold my high school record for home runs allowed without recording an out.

Really wish I could've pitched against BBcore bats Instead of the -5 aluminum launchers.

Got whiplash some starts.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really wish I could've pitched against BBcore bats Instead of the -5 aluminum launchers.

Got whiplash some starts.

Omaha Gold is one of the best bats of all time, outside of those basically illegal redlines in like 1998.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see:

When I was 16 my team won the CT state Senior League title and ended up 4th in the East region. I got a hit off future big leaguer Jon Lannan, and my best friend got taken deep by Lannan for a granny.

My senior year of HS I had an OPS of like 1.300.

I played D3 ball in college (after transferring from a D1 school). I was injured a big part of my career, but I did hit .450 my only healthy year after earning my job back (hard to lay claim to a job when you had significant injuries 2 years in a row) by setting a school record 7 game hitting streak as a pinch hitter.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had two walk-off hits in my playing days, one in Babe Ruth league as an inside-the-park home run, the other a walk-off single against our cross-town rivals to clinch a trip to the state playoffs my senior year of high school.

Other than that, I got to have a catch with Tony Womack once.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omaha Gold is one of the best bats of all time, outside of those basically illegal redlines in like 1998.
My entire high school team used the same TPX.

It actually got more pop after it was broken.

Those redline bats must've killed a few third baseman. And baserunners.