• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your playing day career highlights

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good of a player were you? List some of your favorite memories or accomplishments from your playing days.

I was in the 10-12 year old division of my little league, the most competitive division of the little league (after you pass the "majors" as they called it, and reached the 13-14 year old "juniors," no one really gave a shit).

My team, the A's, went something like 33-3 our two years playing together. The first two losses came in the first year, 2009, when we went like 11-0 to start the year, and then lost a regular season game to the fucking Cubs. We then lost in the championship to the Cubs (which was a crazy game).

My second year, in 2010, we went like 16-0 during the first 16 games. Our rival was still the Cubs, and we had swept them in the regular season that year. Then, during the final regular season game of the season, we played the lowly Phillies. They were decent, but probably went like 8-8 in the regular season up to that point. Our regular coach, who is probably the most fiery and abrasive person I've ever met in my life- he literally put the fear of God in you, had to miss the game to coach his high school team, so my neighbor at the time was coaching us. He was still a very good coach, but we ended up losing the game in the bottom of the 6th inning on a walk-off single to right field. I was playing first base and there was a line drive to the right fielder, who was my neighbor's son. He was small and only 10 years old, but he came up firing to home, and actually made a strong and accurate throw, but the guy on second slid and was clearly safe. Still, looking back, I was impressed that he made such a strong throw considering he was probably 5 foot.

We ended up beating the Cubs in the championship.

I hit 5th my first year in '09, then third my second year in '10. I am pretty proud of hitting third on a team that went like 19-1 or something in my little league.

I hit .472 in 2010. I had good power, but also drew a shit-ton of walks- I was a very patient player. They didn't calculate OBP's back then (or if they did, I didn't know mine), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like .600 or .650.

I played first base and right field primarily (I logged like 2 innings in center field).

I wasn't fast, but I was known as an excellent baserunner. My coach, the fiery sociopath, would constantly compliment me in front of the team and use me as an example of how to be a good baserunner. I got such a good secondary jump that if the ball got away from the catcher for a second, I took the next base. I don't ever remember getting thrown out trying to steal a base, and probably had 30 stolen bases or so, despite being of average, if not below average speed.

Alas, it all went downhill from there. But I was and am still somewhat proud of that shit.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just to clarify, I was by no means the best hitter on the team. That would have been our leadoff hitter, by far. Probably even the two-hole hitter was better because he had better power than me (though I did have a lot of pop in my bat myself).

But our leadoff hitter, especially in 2010, made things look like a video game. In 120 PA, he probably got out literally 5 or 6 times- maybe struck out once. He probably hit around 20 home runs. It became so ridiculous that it got to the point where in the semi-final game (the game before the championship) and in the championship game, he didn't get to hit- the other team intentionally walked him, even to lead off the game. The Cubs intentionally walked him in his first 4 PA, then when they were down like 8 runs or so in the last inning, they pitched to him just for the hell of it. First pitch- he probably hit the ball 300 feet.

That guy was crazy, but grew up in probably the only housing projects that exist in Newark. I think he has a kid and been in and out of jail since.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pitched a perfect game on MLB The Show 14 last week. K'ed 14.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I held the Staten Island high school single season receiving record from 1989-2006

Broken by a kid that lived on the block I grew up on

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't bad, was moved up to varsity sophomore year, started every game my junior and senior year of high school and we won the state championship. Played CF, pitched a little, had kind of a funky delivery that made up for not really having much stuff except that I could throw pretty hard.

Best highlight for me was playing at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown my senior year. Knowing all the guys who had played there was really cool to be on the field.

Biggest individual highlight, I hit over .400 and moved from the 9-hole to clean up hitter my sophomore year, which merited a call up to varsity before the playoffs where I got to be on the same team as my older brother for the final time. Senior year we needed a win to secure homefield advantage in the first playoff game, down by 1, runner on 2nd, bottom of the 7th, two outs. I wish I could say I hit a HR to win it, but I did leg out an infield hit (runner held at 2nd). Then went 1st to 3rd on a single, tie game. Then scored on a passed ball. So I felt my baserunning was a big reason we won the game, and eventually the championship.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't bad, was moved up to varsity sophomore year, started every game my junior and senior year of high school and we won the state championship. Played CF, pitched a little, had kind of a funky delivery that made up for not really having much stuff except that I could throw pretty hard.

Best highlight for me was playing at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown my senior year. Knowing all the guys who had played there was really cool to be on the field.

Biggest individual highlight, I hit over .400 and moved from the 9-hole to clean up hitter my sophomore year, which merited a call up to varsity before the playoffs where I got to be on the same team as my older brother for the final time. Senior year we needed a win to secure homefield advantage in the first playoff game, down by 1, runner on 2nd, bottom of the 7th, two outs. I wish I could say I hit a HR to win it, but I did leg out an infield hit (runner held at 2nd). Then went 1st to 3rd on a single, tie game. Then scored on a passed ball. So I felt my baserunning was a big reason we won the game, and eventually the championship.
Bad ass.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was lousy at the plate after getting hit in the face.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was 14 and playing on a team, my coach put me and one of my buddies on his 12 year old tournament team.

In the championship game, my buddy threw a shutout and I hit a triple with the bases loaded and threw a runner out at the plate (I played CF).

Regrets?

1v0em3.jpg

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once hit 3 home runs in a game against a guy who later pitched in the majors ( Wes Obermueller ).

My little league team made it to the state title game

When I was 10 I turned an unassisted triple play

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a decent player, never even tried out for the high school team though(I was a better wrestler, and I only did that for one season in high school. Much more interested in chasing pussy, getting drunk and fishing in high school), but I played rec ball from t ball until I was 19(last year I could play.

Enjoyed the hell out of it. The last few years, any Saturday morning game, me and half the team showed up hungover.

I played first base mostly, also spent some time in RF and 3B.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played on the defensive line in a high school in Suburban Chicago. Not just me, but our whole defensive unit would shut down opponents like the Steel Curtain. Unfortunately in the state championship game some running back (white dude if I remember right) ran through us for 4 touchdowns. After that I never played again. I think his name was Bundy or something. I didn't keep up with him but I'm sure he was successful at whatever he ended up doing.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I forgot this was on the baseball forum. My senior year I lived in New Jersey and played a little ball. I wasn't that great but I had a friend that was a big deal in the baseball world. Had a speedball that he could throw by you. I still see him at the bar sometimes but all he wants to do is sit around talking about the glory days.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another cool highlight from my HS playing days, when I was a junior, Jeff Locke (future MLB All Star) was a senior. I was the first batter he faced in his senior year. About 20 major league scouts there. Crazy environment. He lived in "middle of nowhere" New Hampshire (which is pretty much anything north of Concord), and could throw 96 mph at 17. We played on a field with no fence, just trees as the "HR" line. Kids in the stands were wearing "Jeff Locke" jerseys. First at bat, I struck out on 3 pitches. Next two at bats, I struck out both times, but had several foul tips. It was just cool to play against a guy that we knew was going to be a pretty high draft pick.

We did end up scoring a run off him, we were a good team and we caught up to his fastball eventually. He won the game on a walk-off HR though.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In tee ball, I tried to slide into home. Then they told me we're not allowed to slide. Muh disappoints. And I only ever played tee ball.

In P.E. one time, a kid on the baseball team pulled the ball in his first at bat. So I played him to pull after that. 0-2 he was. I'm probably the only kid that cared about winning in P.E.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I forgot this was on the baseball forum. My senior year I lived in New Jersey and played a little ball. I wasn't that great but I had a friend that was a big deal in the baseball world. Had a speedball that he could throw by you. I still see him at the bar sometimes but all he wants to do is sit around talking about the glory days.
You are such an asshole

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played on the defensive line in a high school in Suburban Chicago. Not just me, but our whole defensive unit would shut down opponents like the Steel Curtain. Unfortunately in the state championship game some running back (white dude if I remember right) ran through us for 4 touchdowns. After that I never played again. I think his name was Bundy or something. I didn't keep up with him but I'm sure he was successful at whatever he ended up doing.
Look dude, while you were busy watching reruns of Married With Children in high school (or are you so old that it was original broadcasts back then?), the rest of the world was out banging girls and hitting walk-off home runs.

I bet you could have really been something if you applied yourself. I mean, Chicago- look at Capone, Dillinger, and Nitti. They didn't leech off social security in their mom's basements- they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and made a name for themselves.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are such an asshole
I am aware...

Also I forgot about my Junior year when I lived in a tough part of Los Angeles and played on the basketball team. We were a gritty bunch of mixed races and nationalities. Our coach was a former NBA player who had to retire because of knee injuries. I think he played for the Bulls. He was a big blonde haired guy who I later found out was wearing a rug. Oh yeah, usually when we had a big win we ended up singing in the showers after the game, which seems kind of gay now......

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am aware...

Also I forgot about my Junior year when I lived in a tough part of Los Angeles and played on the basketball team. We were a gritty bunch of mixed races and nationalities. Our coach was a former NBA player who had to retire because of knee injuries. I think he played for the Knicks. He was a big blonde haired guy who I later found out was wearing a rug. Oh yeah, usually when we had a big win we ended up singing in the showers after the game, which seems kind of gay now......
This one went over my head, but I can comment on the potential homosexuality of the situation. What songs were being sung? Was it like you guys all got stoned in the locker room and then played "Stairway to Heaven" in a solemn and semi-religious state, because that's ok. But if it was like Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful" or anything from George Michael, then I've got bad news for you...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that one was kind of obscure. They would sing old Motown songs from the 60's I think. I found some footage on youtube of them singing "Man O Man" by The Impressions and it was a little disturbing to watch.