• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your least favorite players

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVLiEapzUAw]Howard Stern Show : PGA Champion Jason Dufner 08/13/13 - YouTube[/ame]

After hearing this clip from The Howard Stern Show - Dufner is now one of my favorites. What a great interview. The guy sounds much better in this setting & actually comes off as funny & a real good guy. His honesty was very refreshing.

One part that I loved was how he stated the he could care less about those guys yelling "Get in the Hole", "Baba-Boey", etc. He stated it happens after the shot & he just ignores it - a man after my own heart. They agreed that someone like Poulter was not doing himself any favors by making a big deal out of this type of thing since it will only result in more people acting like this (same thing in a similar way for Garcia).

Go Jason.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard Stern Show : PGA Champion Jason Dufner 08/13/13 - YouTube

After hearing this clip from The Howard Stern Show - Dufner is now one of my favorites. What a great interview. The guy sounds much better in this setting & actually comes off as funny & a real good guy. His honesty was very refreshing.

One part that I loved was how he stated the he could care less about those guys yelling "Get in the Hole", "Baba-Boey", etc. He stated it happens after the shot & he just ignores it - a man after my own heart. They agreed that someone like Poulter was not doing himself any favors by making a big deal out of this type of thing since it will only result in more people acting like this (same thing in a similar way for Garcia).

Go Jason.

Dufner reminds me of me but with a shitty haircut

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of people seem to root for Mickelson because they see him as the anti-Tiger, but he and his phony fans know that he'll always be second fiddle and if it werent for Woods, no one would care about Mickelson or golf.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of people seem to root for Mickelson because they see him as the anti-Tiger, but he and his phony fans know that he'll always be second fiddle and if it werent for Woods, no one would care about Mickelson or golf.

Get off Tiger's nutsack. How do you expect him to play with you knob gobbling him all day.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get off Tiger's nutsack. How do you expect him to play with you knob gobbling him all day.

You need to direct your anger towards second fiddle players.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to direct your anger towards second fiddle players.

Its more fun to direct my derision at those hanging on Woods every move like yourself. I bet you'd love to take Lindsey Vaughan's place on that knob wouldn't you?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more fun to direct my derision at those hanging on Woods every move like yourself. I bet you'd love to take Lindsey Vaughan's place on that knob wouldn't you?

If you are a true lover of golf - which certainly appears to be the case for you - then you have to at least appreciate Tiger for one thing (even if you hate him) - he has had a major role in taking the sport to an unprecedented level of popularity. This results in almost non-stop coverage of the sport.

Without him (or someone like him) there quite possibly would not even be a Golf Channel & the coverage on the major networks would be much more limited. Think about the major winners this year. With the exception of Mickelson they all appear to be nice guys, but they don't exactly thrill people or attract viewers. Lots of people watch when Tiger is playing either because they love or hate him. Like it or not - it is what allows all of us to witness so much of the sport.

I suppose you could make an argument that someone else could have filled this role but that is pure speculation. I will always root for Tiger (mainly because he is from the same area where I lived for a long time) but don't consider myself to be "hanging on his sack". If he is bad (like this week) I will say as much & I also appreciate lots of other golfers.

I really don't understand pure hatred for a golfer - I will reserve that for football teams like the Dallas Cowboys.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are a true lover of golf - which certainly appears to be the case for you - then you have to at least appreciate Tiger for one thing (even if you hate him) - he has had a major role in taking the sport to an unprecedented level of popularity. This results in almost non-stop coverage of the sport.

Without him (or someone like him) there quite possibly would not even be a Golf Channel & the coverage on the major networks would be much more limited. Think about the major winners this year. With the exception of Mickelson they all appear to be nice guys, but they don't exactly thrill people or attract viewers. Lots of people watch when Tiger is playing either because they love or hate him. Like it or not - it is what allows all of us to witness so much of the sport.

I suppose you could make an argument that someone else could have filled this role but that is pure speculation. I will always root for Tiger (mainly because he is from the same area where I lived for a long time) but don't consider myself to be "hanging on his sack". If he is bad (like this week) I will say as much & I also appreciate lots of other golfers.

I really don't understand pure hatred for a golfer - I will reserve that for football teams like the Dallas Cowboys.

Very well stated and my thoughts echo this for the most part.

To add...Tiger's role in golf...in terms of marquee names that were known even outside of their sport. Greg Norman took the torch from Jack and became the face of golf...attractive guy, well spoken, had the "it" factor that drives people to watch you play. Then his failures started to pile up and he became this sympathetic figure.

All of the American "next greats", Sutton, DL3, Couples, Azinger all failed to be consistent winners...Faldo & Price were winning majors, but without Tiger, I don't think that next guy to take the torch from Norman ever existed...maybe Els wins a few more majors, Phil?

I like watching Tiger because he's playing on a historical level...whether he's THE GOAT or not, he's definitely in the conversation...imo I liken this to watching Ali in his prime, Hank Aaron in his prime, Babe Ruth...we're seeing one of the best to ever play.

Obviously his moral standard was pretty weak, but I can separate that he was a real a-hole to his family, etc.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually don't think that's a good thing for anybody except those running the Tour. I'd much rather go to an event and not have to fight twenty thousand people for a view or listen to every idiot scream out nonsense when the players hit the ball. Woods has brought the assholes of the world into the sport and I don't like that.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think that's a good thing for anybody except those running the Tour. I'd much rather go to an event and not have to fight twenty thousand people for a view or listen to every idiot scream out nonsense when the players hit the ball. Woods has brought the assholes of the world into the sport and I don't like that.

That is not my point. I am stating that you would not see the current level of TV coverage - not even close. Most people don't have the money, time or desire to travel to a lot of tour events (or even 1 or 2 for a lot of folks). The alternative is watching on TV or online. I would think that people would at least appreciate having that option.

I also somewhat disagree with your take on fans. You cannot place this strictly on Tiger. Tiger didn't cause them to yell out all of that stuff & I believe a lot of it is just a reflection of this era (similar things happen in other sports). Besides - I thought you pictured yourself to be very much like Dufner. He stated that he could care less about these people yelling out things since it is after he hits the ball. :yahoo:& he actually is someone who has to confront this almost every week.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like watching Tiger because he's playing on a historical level...whether he's THE GOAT or not, he's definitely in the conversation...imo I liken this to watching Ali in his prime, Hank Aaron in his prime, Babe Ruth...we're seeing one of the best to ever play.

Obviously his moral standard was pretty weak, but I can separate that he was a real a-hole to his family, etc.

I totally agree with your last statement. There have been other sports figures who have had similar problems yet we still cheer for them. Big Ben (although he has appeared to clean himself up) had major issues, but I don't think that it caused Steelers fans to root for another team. Same thing with Kobe & Lakers fans. Lots of folks have problems - we just don't know about them for most folks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were already there...there was a saying that Arnold Palmer brought golf from the country club to the common man and his galleries were more blue collar types...Polite, but kind of intimidating actually to other players. Then comes John Daly who brought the backwoods, in the Hole!!! mentality to galleries....the yelling out stuff did get worse with Tiger's galleries, but he wasn't the originator.

I've been in a Wood's gallery a few times and you're right...there are much better ways to enjoy some pro golf at the event. If I go to East Lake Thurs or Fri, it's great...they have a few holes that are like natural amphitheaters...camping out at a hole like that is the best way...following groups is too much work.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not my point. I am stating that you would not see the current level of TV coverage - not even close. Most people don't have the money, time or desire to travel to a lot of tour events (or even 1 or 2 for a lot of folks). The alternative is watching on TV or online. I would think that people would at least appreciate having that option.

I also somewhat disagree with your take on fans. You cannot place this strictly on Tiger. Tiger didn't cause them to yell out all of that stuff & I believe a lot of it is just a reflection of this era (similar things happen in other sports). Besides - I thought you pictured yourself to be very much like Dufner. He stated that he could care less about these people yelling out things since it is after he hits the ball. :yahoo:& he actually is someone who has to confront this almost every week.

I'll give you that point. Tiger's fault or not, he brought those ridiculous assholes into the game. They were attracted by him and I stand by that point. I think its inarguable. And Dufner said he didn't care about that stuff not that he did care.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were already there...there was a saying that Arnold Palmer brought golf from the country club to the common man and his galleries were more blue collar types...Polite, but kind of intimidating actually to other players. Then comes John Daly who brought the backwoods, in the Hole!!! mentality to galleries....the yelling out stuff did get worse with Tiger's galleries, but he wasn't the originator.

I've been in a Wood's gallery a few times and you're right...there are much better ways to enjoy some pro golf at the event. If I go to East Lake Thurs or Fri, it's great...they have a few holes that are like natural amphitheaters...camping out at a hole like that is the best way...following groups is too much work.

I disagree. Palmer would have put a stop to that shit right then and there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with your last statement. There have been other sports figures who have had similar problems yet we still cheer for them. Big Ben (although he has appeared to clean himself up) had major issues, but I don't think that it caused Steelers fans to root for another team. Same thing with Kobe & Lakers fans. Lots of folks have problems - we just don't know about them for most folks.

Very true...team vs individual sport, but I think most Steeler fans knew Ben had screwed up regardless of whether he was never formally charged or not...especially in the GA case. There were a slight few among the Steeler Nation who thought Ben should've paid a bigger price....I think they're still Steeler fans though...lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Palmer would have put a stop to that shit right then and there.

Disagree with what...from what I've heard, I don't think they actually did anything to other players, but even Jack has said early in his career, the Palmer galleries were intimidating...he was called fat boy, etc. but I don't get the since it was during the rounds.

Just knowing all those in the gallery are really there pulling for Arnie was intimidating...the way use to rush up to the rope for position.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you that point. Tiger's fault or not, he brought those ridiculous assholes into the game. They were attracted by him and I stand by that point. I think its inarguable. And Dufner said he didn't care about that stuff not that he did care.

I think it very arguable actually...especially when you suggest that he brought that fan element to golf...I know I started hearing the yelling out, etc. a lot more on televised golf when Daly came out on tour and he was before Tiger.

To be clear...I agree Tiger's fans brought it to the game...but he wasn't the first is my point.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude - calm down. I said that Dufner could "care less" which means he didn't care - we are stating the same thing. Peace.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it very arguable actually...especially when you suggest that he brought that fan element to golf...I know I started hearing the yelling out, etc. a lot more on televised golf when Daly came out on tour and he was before Tiger.

To be clear...I agree Tiger's fans brought it to the game...but he wasn't the first is my point.

If it wasn't Tiger it would have been someone else. The minute certain people realized that certain things would be heard on TV & other outlets is the time when this type of thing escalated. In the era of a zillion channels, youtube & numerous online outlets this type of thing flourishes. It is inevitable & not due to any one person.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I couldn't care less what Woods does on his own time. Its his on-course behavior and his blatant disrespect for the people who are working the course or covering the event that bugs me. That nonsense with having his caddie put the bag down in front of the swing cam so they couldn't use it simply because Peter Kostis had the gall to criticize Woods' swing was inexcusable. It was outrageous and no one else would even think of robbing the fans of one of the most interesting analyses of the event. But he simply does not care about anyone but himself..