• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your 2014 conference predictions

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been WAITING ALL YEAR for your side of the PAC12 predict BSF27, hoping for an "impartial" viewpoint and NOT a standard predict that all the rest put up.

Will take some real digging to do...be the first :whistle:

well thanks sir

The Pac 12 is going to be the most difficult conference for me

there's 9 really good teams

and I have to make my bet on whether Utah will keep Wilson healthy or not, because then that's 10.

Cal and Colorado will be better as well but likely won't beat anyone except for each other.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC West -

1. Alabama(12-0)
2. Auburn(10-2)
3. Ole Miss(10-2)
4. LSU(8-4)
5. Texas A&M(6-6)
6. Miss St. (7-5)
7. Arkansas(2-10)

SEC East -

1. South Carolina(12-0)
2. Missouri(11-1)
3. Georgia (8-4)
4. Tennessee(6-6)
5. Florida(5-7)
6. Kentucky(5-7)
7. Vanderbilt(4-8)

SEC Title Game: Alabama(12-0) vs South Carolina(12-0)

It would be interesting to see if the new playoff committee will consider this a playoff game in itself, or if this is a good game, would they consider putting both in the playoffs? As an Alabama fan, I know we've benefited from the strength of the SEC and rematches and all, but in this situation, I think the conference title game should decide who goes to the playoffs.

I'd pretty much bet money on it being considered a playoff game and no rematch. I think to get a 2nd team in, it has to be from the same division like Alabama in 2011.

I'd guess the exception would be what you mentioned with if the game is really close.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pretty much bet money on it being considered a playoff game and no rematch. I think to get a 2nd team in, it has to be from the same division like Alabama in 2011.

I'd guess the exception would be what you mentioned with if the game is really close.

I can't see a one loss SEC team being shut out of the playoff, even if meant a rematch with an undefeated SEC team in the semifinal. The only way I see them getting shut out is if four undefeated P5 teams exist. I would almost always put a one loss SEC team in ahead of any other one loss team regardless of whether or not they won their conference but that's just me.

In order for me to put another P5 team with a loss in over a SEC team with a loss, they better have won their conference and they better have played a tough schedule, including in the out of conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see a one loss SEC team being shut out of the playoff, even if meant a rematch with an undefeated SEC team in the semifinal. The only way I see them getting shut out is if four undefeated P5 teams exist. I would put a one loss SEC team in ahead of any other one loss team regardless of whether or not they won their conference but that's just me.

Yeah, cause you know...those 1 loss SEC teams are SO hard to beat. :laugh3:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause you know...those 1 loss SEC teams are SO hard to beat. :laugh3:

That's why they play the games, nothing is guarantied.

I just think it's a tougher conference than any other. It's obviously harder to emerge with one or zero losses in the SEC, even with the softer OOC SOS. That's the truth. Those teams should be rewarded for that and they absolutely were under the BCS format.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's mine for the 12 PAC:

North

1.) Oregon - After ceding the North to Stanford for the past 2 seasons, the Ducks are back on top. They didn't lose too much and Mariota coming back just seals the deal.
2.) Stanford - They lost too much, but they will still play their game and if the Ducks overlook them, they could take the North again.
3.) Washington - They are probably a season or 2 away. I expect that it will take Petersen at least 1-2 seasons to adjust to the difference between the PAC and a mid-major conference. Once he does, Oregon and Stanford better watch out.
4.) Oregon St. - If Petersen struggles adjusting to the competition in the PAC, they could take 3rd in North. Look for an upset or 2 from the Beavs. They won't win the North, but they could have a say in who does.
5.) Washington St. - If Leach's offense clicks, they could surprise and end up as high as 3rd. I don't think they will though.
6.) Cal - They seem to be the only PAC team that is actually going backwards.

South

1.) UCLA - The Bruins have done a good job over the past couple of seasons in taking advantage of USC's sanctions. USC is darn close to being back, but I think the Bruins get 1 more trip to the CCG. Mora has done a great job of adding a "toughness" that this program hasn't had.
2.) USC - The Trojans are darn close to being back, but I think the lack of depth catches up to them. However, a little luck in the injury dept. and USC definitely has the talent to overtake UCLA.
3.) ASU - Just a step below UCLA and USC because of the loss of top players (especially on defense), but if one or both falter, the Sun Devils could find themselves back in the CCG.
4.) Arizona - They have improved under RichRod. Like Oregon St. in the North, they won't win the South, but they could very well have a say in who does.
5.) Utah - The Utes continue to improve, but they are finding that you don't just jump from a mid-major to a BCS conference and start winning games and going to CCG's. They're going to need about 3-4 more seasons.
6.) Colorado - It's damn shame what has happened to this program. They seem to be finally doing some things to turn it around, but they have a long way to go.

Bowls:

Oregon - Playoff
UCLA - BCS bowl
USC - Holiday or Alamo
Stanford - Holiday or Alamo
UW, Oregon St., ASU and Arizona should all be bowl eligible. Wazzou will be close and might sneak in as bowl eligible as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's mine for the 12 PAC:

North

1.) Oregon - After ceding the North to Stanford for the past 2 seasons, the Ducks are back on top. They didn't lose too much and Mariota coming back just seals the deal.
2.) Stanford - They lost too much, but they will still play their game and if the Ducks overlook them, they could take the North again.
3.) Washington - They are probably a season or 2 away. I expect that it will take Petersen at least 1-2 seasons to adjust to the difference between the PAC and a mid-major conference. Once he does, Oregon and Stanford better watch out.
4.) Oregon St. - If Petersen struggles adjusting to the competition in the PAC, they could take 3rd in North. Look for an upset or 2 from the Beavs. They won't win the North, but they could have a say in who does.
5.) Washington St. - If Leach's offense clicks, they could surprise and end up as high as 3rd. I don't think they will though.
6.) Cal - They seem to be the only PAC team that is actually going backwards.

South

1.) UCLA - The Bruins have done a good job over the past couple of seasons in taking advantage of USC's sanctions. USC is darn close to being back, but I think the Bruins get 1 more trip to the CCG. Mora has done a great job of adding a "toughness" that this program hasn't had.
2.) USC - The Trojans are darn close to being back, but I think the lack of depth catches up to them. However, a little luck in the injury dept. and USC definitely has the talent to overtake UCLA.
3.) ASU - Just a step below UCLA and USC because of the loss of top players (especially on defense), but if one or both falter, the Sun Devils could find themselves back in the CCG.
4.) Arizona - They have improved under RichRod. Like Oregon St. in the North, they won't win the South, but they could very well have a say in who does.
5.) Utah - The Utes continue to improve, but they are finding that you don't just jump from a mid-major to a BCS conference and start winning games and going to CCG's. They're going to need about 3-4 more seasons.
6.) Colorado - It's damn shame what has happened to this program. They seem to be finally doing some things to turn it around, but they have a long way to go.

Bowls:

Oregon - Playoff
UCLA - BCS bowl
USC - Holiday or Alamo
Stanford - Holiday or Alamo
UW, Oregon St., ASU and Arizona should all be bowl eligible. Wazzou will be close and might sneak in as bowl eligible as well.

:agree:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Washington State to finish ahead of Washington, actually.

DeanConfused.gif

A Coug team that barely made it to bowl eligible last year and then proceeded to Coug'd it in the New Mexico bowl is going to finish ahead of a team that went 9-4, has Chris Petersen now for a HC, and returns most of it's starters?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trojanfans PAC picks are looking solid.

But I think ASU could end up being #2. While nobody is doubting the quality of the players on the USC roster, I think there will be struggles this year as 2014 and 15 are the years were they will be most impacted with depth issues from the sanctions. Any injury will be felt like a ton of bricks. With the amount of PAC teams running variations of no huddle offenses they will be facing, USC's defense will be struggling in the 2nd half of games and heavily gassed by the 4th.

Wilcox will do fantastic things with the USC D in the longterm, but right now, their will be struggles to keep up with the speed of what other PAC teams will present to them.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thanks sir

The Pac 12 is going to be the most difficult conference for me

there's 9 really good teams

and I have to make my bet on whether Utah will keep Wilson healthy or not, because then that's 10.

Cal and Colorado will be better as well but likely won't beat anyone except for each other.

I have Cal at like 3 wins tops. colorado with 4 at most. but in order for one to happen the other wont.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Washington State to finish ahead of Washington, actually.

Washington only returns about 34% of its production on Offense and 50% on Defense.

Just my opinion, though.

Two problems with that really:
UW has more experience on both lines than any other team in the conference and that's a huge stability factor on both sides of the ball.

WSU is still starting Halliday. His % was well up last year, but anyone watching him play saw some massive choke jobs and seriously poor decision making.

Leach's offense will probably increase in the danger factor after he has all of his own kids in it, especially at QB. Until then I think you see more of the same sputtering and moments of brilliance sprinkled with massive errors and poor judgement.

It's better to have unknown talent in some key positions that on paper come highly recommended than to have known quantities that have thus far seriously underwhelmed.

Maybe I should have said 3 problems: Schedule
UW has 4 shit calk walk OOC (extra game more than everyone else due to Hawaii road game rule). WSU's OOC has Rutgers which should be a win, but this is the cougs and Nevada on the road. :noidea:

The real rub though is the conf schedules. Cougs home games are Oregon, Cal, USC, Arizona, and UW. Ouch. Cal should be a win, but the others? Road games are Utah, Stanford, Oregon State, and Arizona State. If they win more than one of those it will be a special kind of year for them.

UW? Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, and Oregon State at home. No doubt they will be lucky to find more than 2 wins in that slate. Road games? Cal, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, and WSU. Winning 3 of those should be expected and unless the wheels just fall off ala Willingham they will be favored in at least 3 of those.

Because UW has both Cal and Colorado while WSU has Cal and Utah plus UW having an extra OOC game and a much easier OOC schedule, you are asking for WSU to play like they haven't in a decade to finish high enough to overcome the easier schedule UW has.

Anything is possible, but this opinion is highly improbable.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G

WEST

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Minnesota
5. Northwestern
6. Illinois
7. Purdue

EAST

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan State
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Maryland
6. Indiana
7. Rutgers

Ohio State over Wisconsin.

Ohio State in Semifinals
Michigan State in Big 6 Bowl
Wisconsin in Cap 1 Bowl
Iowa in Outback Bowl
Nebraska in bowl
Michigan in bowl
Penn State in bowl
Minnesota in bowl

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two problems with that really:
UW has more experience on both lines than any other team in the conference and that's a huge stability factor on both sides of the ball.

WSU is still starting Halliday. His % was well up last year, but anyone watching him play saw some massive choke jobs and seriously poor decision making.

Leach's offense will probably increase in the danger factor after he has all of his own kids in it, especially at QB. Until then I think you see more of the same sputtering and moments of brilliance sprinkled with massive errors and poor judgement.

It's better to have unknown talent in some key positions that on paper come highly recommended than to have known quantities that have thus far seriously underwhelmed.

Maybe I should have said 3 problems: Schedule
UW has 4 shit calk walk OOC (extra game more than everyone else due to Hawaii road game rule). WSU's OOC has Rutgers which should be a win, but this is the cougs and Nevada on the road. :noidea:

The real rub though is the conf schedules. Cougs home games are Oregon, Cal, USC, Arizona, and UW. Ouch. Cal should be a win, but the others? Road games are Utah, Stanford, Oregon State, and Arizona State. If they win more than one of those it will be a special kind of year for them.

UW? Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, and Oregon State at home. No doubt they will be lucky to find more than 2 wins in that slate. Road games? Cal, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, and WSU. Winning 3 of those should be expected and unless the wheels just fall off ala Willingham they will be favored in at least 3 of those.

Because UW has both Cal and Colorado while WSU has Cal and Utah plus UW having an extra OOC game and a much easier OOC schedule, you are asking for WSU to play like they haven't in a decade to finish high enough to overcome the easier schedule UW has.

Anything is possible, but this opinion is highly improbable.

I wouldn't say that sir, the players on Washington have played pretty well at home, only Oregon has really beaten them there lately

they beat Stanford last time they played them at home

We had a really long home winning streak under Petersen and then it ended the past few years.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that sir, the players on Washington have played pretty well at home, only Oregon has really beaten them there lately

they beat Stanford last time they played them at home

We had a really long home winning streak under Petersen and then it ended the past few years.

I think UW should expect to win two of those home games mentioned and very possibly even three (the opponents are Stanford, ASU, UCLA, and Oregon State).

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach gets 95% of his Offensive production back.

I just think that sounds really dangerous in a conference like the PAC.

UW only returns 34% of their Offensive production. Gonna need some new names to step up to the plate.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlantic

1: FSU 12-0 (8-0) - barf
2. Clem 10-2 (7-1)
3. L'Ville 8-4 (5-3)
4. BC 7-5 (4-4)
5. Cuse 6-6 (3-5)
6. NCSU 5-7 (1-7)
7. Wake 3-9 (0-8)

Coastal

1. VT 11-1 (8-0) :cool2:
2. UNC 9-3 (5-3)
3. Miami 8-4 (4-4)
4. Duke 8-4 (4-4)
5. Pitt 7-5 (4-4)
6. GT 6-6 (3-5)
7. UVA 2-10 (0-8) :pound:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach gets 95% of his Offensive production back.

I just think that sounds really dangerous in a conference like the PAC.

UW only returns 34% of their Offensive production. Gonna need some new names to step up to the plate.

Understood, but again WSU's returning team barely became bowl eligible and shat themselves in a lackluster bowl appearance. Experienced turds are still turds.

While UW will be breaking in a new QB and RB, their receiving corp is still in tact, that QB has real game experience and so far looks like he should be capable, the RB's all have game experience, their other two TE's played a lot last year with ASJ missing games and not really stepping up, and their entire line is experienced.

There are more to those numbers you mention.

Of all of the things that leave us UW fans concerned, none of them are on the offense. They will be returning only 1 starter in the defensive secondary and will likely be starting two true freshman back there. This is where all of our worry is, not the offense's ability to step up with replacements as at least they are all experienced ones.