• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah I am officially done with fighting in the NHL

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing worse than a Grillovah Witness.

vader.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey and fighting go together like spaghetti and meatball - or lamb and tuna fish.

/Man, I'm hungry.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if you noticed my post but I mentioned how it has an effect on players throwing good clean checks then looking over their shoulders to see if some cement head is going to take them on. I posted it early in the thread.

In some ways it discourages good hard checks.

Post 112

I saw it and I agree 100%. I use to dislike the instigator rule as much as anyone until I saw a situation like this when it was called. Ever since I've been a fan of the rule (at least in theory, maybe not always a fan of how it is or is not called).

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it and I agree 100%. I use to dislike the instigator rule as much as anyone until I saw a situation like this when it was called. Ever since I've been a fan of the rule (at least in theory, maybe not always a fan of how it is or is not called).

Ooops! Pretty much a double post. Tried responding to Boss' post early from work but I got a weird message and didn't think it went through but I guess it did.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we do need to eliminate from two guys fighting is the MMA-style takedowns that several guys like to use. Here's an example from last night's scrap between Tom Wilson and Lance Bouma. Bouma is very lucky his head didn't smash on the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we do need to eliminate from two guys fighting is the MMA-style takedowns that several guys like to use. Here's an example from last night's scrap between Tom Wilson and Lance Bouma. Bouma is very lucky his head didn't smash on the ice.

Ugh. As with Orr, should be a suspension for dangerous play. Treat it as if the guy doing the throwing had just skated up to him and did it.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Homer!! ;)

That fight was the result of a clean hit, too. This goes back to one of the problems with fighting as a mechanism to reduce dirty hits. If as a player I may get my bell rung either way, then what motivation is there to play cleaner or dirtier aside from the natural character and values of the particular individual delivering the hit?

In the meantime, Douma and Wilson both now at risk as well. Net loss.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth about what happened to Parros is that it rarely happens that way. He and Orr are no strangers to scrapping; in fact, they've had a history against each other, as they showed in replays dating back to a couple of years ago.

But Orr did show some class in seeing when something was wrong and having people come in to help Parros, so I will give him points there.

Do accidents happen? Yes, of course they do! Do some fighters get a little bit carried away? Maybe. But even though it's been a subject of controversy for decades now, it would be VERY difficult to get rid of what's been part of the game since Day One.

To the OP, are you seriously going to tell the 15,000 or so that go to these games that it should be stopped? What do you think a majority of them want to see, apart from a great performance by their team?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooooooooo, out of curiosity what do you guy's think about fighting in hockey?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But even though it's been a subject of controversy for decades now, it would be VERY difficult to get rid of what's been part of the game since Day One.

the thing about it is the debate or circumstances are not as they were on Day One.

So many aspects of fighting in hockey today didnt even exist even 25 years ago

I never thought it should be zero tolerance. As many have said the staged fights need to go and hopefully that eliminates the over 6'5, 250 pound "player" who is there to only serve 1 purpose.

the protectors of the 70's and 80's could fight AND PLAY ... today seems there are to many guys who are one dimensional and only there to be the "nuclear deterrent" ... they need to go away

this got buried in the thread but Ill rehash it

The pure goon, a player like Steve MacIntyre, didn’t really exist prior to 1980. I defined a pure goon season as being one in which a player produces no more than one point per twenty games, plays at least twenty games and averages at least two PIM per game. I limited my analysis to forwards, for obvious reasons. This produced a list of 101 players, with names like you’d expect: MacIntyre, Colton Orr, Cam Janssen, Andrew Peters, Darcy Hordichuk (a guy I was criticized for not mentioning as a reason for optimism for the Oilers…get over it…get over it), Riley Cote…real cementheads,

Amazingly to me, of the 101 player-seasons on my list (guys like Janssen and Peters show up repeatedly), exactly none of them occurred before 1980-81 and only ten of them prior to 1990-91.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should serve the penalty minutes in the same penalty box.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think fighting is unnecessary & overrated but it does a good job of dumbing down the sport so that it gets a wider appeal. I mean look at the NFL NBA & MLB, they don't allow fighting and their ratings are nowhere nearly as good as the NHL's. Oh wait...

Don't forget that opportunity to play hockey as kids doesn't come very often in areas with milder winters than Pennsylvania's.

Frozen ponds were vary rare in Oklahoma City while I was growing up, and ice rinks weren't common either.
If my father hadn't grown up in New England I might never have known beans about hockey as an elementary schooler.

You can play football or baseball in what would be a bad winter in Oklahoma City. Don't think that would be possible in Pittsburgh.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that opportunity to play hockey as kids doesn't come very often in areas with milder winters than Pennsylvania's.

Frozen ponds were vary rare in Oklahoma City while I was growing up, and ice rinks weren't common either.
If my father hadn't grown up in New England I might never have known beans about hockey as an elementary schooler.

You can play football or baseball in what would be a bad winter in Oklahoma City. Don't think that would be possible in Pittsburgh.

Tell that to Matt Donovan who's from Edmond, Oklahoma. He's going to be making his NHL debut tonight for the Islanders against the Devils.

California is becoming a hockey hot bed as well. There are plenty of ice rinks where kids play hockey in California.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell that to Matt Donovan who's from Edmond, Oklahoma. He's going to be making his NHL debut tonight for the Islanders against the Devils.

California is becoming a hockey hot bed as well. There are plenty of ice rinks where kids play hockey in California.

Edmond isn't that far from where I grew up, but I never had occasion to go there except to pass through onthe way somewhere else.

They could very well have had an ice rink kids in my neighborhood knew nothing about.

And while I'm thinking about it, OKC did have minor league hockey while he was a kid, but it didn't
when I was younger than 10.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry if you guys already answered this. Got through a few pages of this & realized wasn't gonna go through 17 pages of same stuff said, so I just skipped to the end.
I am not a Big Hockey fan so if you tell me I know nothing I will agree.
My understanding on Enforcers though is they were there to protect your stars from being roughed up or taken out. So if this is true , my question is. If you take Fighting out altogether, wouldn't this mean your stars would start missing more games? I mean the other team takes a lesser player & wipes out your star, so the lesser plays gets the boot, but your star is out as well. Wouldn't that be a win for the other team? I guess I looked at it like Enforcers keeping teams honest.

Kinda like in football when someone goes after a teams QB, an offensive lineman shows up to say not so fast little man!

Or am I wrong about Enforcers?
Wouldn't no fighting be worse on the stars?